What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ADOPTION (AT THE RAPTURE): THE MOST IMPORTANT UNDER-TAUGHT DOCTRINE IN THE CHURCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugh, I said I was going to bow out but you have asked me to respond to a statement I made in my previous reply. And you accused me of teaching against scripture because I did not accept your interpretation of scripture related to statements that people who are not of Christ have Satan as their father.

The issue for me is when Christ says someone is of their father the devil is He intending that in a literal sense or in a Hebrew figurative sense? You would say it was in a literal sense; after all, taking things literally at first glance is simply good hermeneutics. But Jesus often used a strong statement as a figurative device. For example, when He said that unless you hate your father and mother you could not be His disciple or was clearly not meant to be taken literally. Since hating father and mother would have been a violation of the Mosaic law, and since he taught us to love even our enemies, He was using a common Hebrew device of dramatic contrast to make His point: specifically, that we should love Him above mother and father.

In the very same way, I believe He used references to the devil being the father of those who rejected Him and withstood His teaching. This is more in keeping with the teaching of scripture that man is a slave of sin and a captive of Satan, and that those who act like Satan and choose to follow his ways are acting just like his children. But that does not mean they are his children. And this is where you and I disagree on that topic-- our references to the children of Satan or the fatherhood of Satan to be taken literally or figuratively.

Now, as to the statement in Genesis 2: 17 in which God tells Adam that in the day he sinned he would surely die, one could correctly state that Adam certainly died the moment he sinned because at that moment he died spiritually as he was no longer in communion with God. Now physically he continued to live until he was 930 (not 969 as you stated: you confused him with Methuselah) but he in fact "died" the moment he was cut off from pure and unhindered fellowship with God. If you like we could consider that also dual fulfillment: for he first died spiritually and then he later died physically. Btw. I really liked your idea that Adam indeed died in the same day that he sinned, by using the literal "dying you will die" verbal phrase from the Hebrew. It's an interesting concept. And you might be correct. There is a Hebraic beauty in the idea. However, in order to accept that, we must take a pass on normal Hebrew grammar. The word dying in Genesis 2:17 is an infinitive absolute, a very flexible verbal form that is most commonly used to express intensity --or certainty-- of the verb it modifies (in our specific verse that would be the verb "you will die"). You seem to be suggesting that translators who follow the normal rules of Hebrew syntax mistranslated this verse by rendering it as "surely you will die" (which is correctly interpreting the Qal infinite absolute as giving certainty to the verb "you will die" that it modifies) rather than translating it literally as it would appear in English syntax (namely as two things: "dying" and "you will die", which is what you hang your two deaths on.) I have to admit it's tempting. But I'm not prepared to bite that apple just yet.

So perhaps now you can see why I have decided to step back from this discussion in order to allow you to proceed with your teaching. Were I not to do so, you would be unable to proceed because we would be bound up in endless arguments, likely neither of us convincing the other, and we would leave in our path a lot of confused people. So rather than allow such a mess to develop, I will step back ... unless I see outright error. But the fact that you and I disagree on some things does not mean that there is error, at least not fundamental error. The things we disagree on that I detailed above are not critical to the security of the gospel message and therefore I can agree to disagree with you without digging in and hindering you from proceeding with your teaching.

So, if that is all right with you, please proceed.

I appreciate your response paidinfull. I guess I’m a lot more simple minded than I thought. I don’t know you at all, and you are obviously a very studied man who has a grasp on a lot of things. I don’t say this to be disrespectful, but I already have so much of my heart invested into hope, for those unfathomable things that seem way, way out there…in distance, time, scope and understanding. And now here is this teaching that seems to ask me to place my very precious identity as a child of God into that same cosmic space. It sounds like it could be interesting. But what will I gain from it? I think I would rather smell the flowers right here on my path, that my Father leaves for me.

What I get is this (and I may well be off in left field)

Adoption is something that starts in the mind of God in eternity past as He sees the future from Creation to the Eternal State. While He predestines us to Adoption, we are created as free will beings to accept the Salvation He offers or to continue to refuse it during our lifetime.

Since free will is essential if we are to freely love and serve God, free will choice is possible only if we are also free to choose an alternative. We can opt out of that predestined adoption by refusing the gift of salvation.

But that refusal isn't permanent till death, at which point we lose the ability to choose.

Once we do choose Christ, that passes us thru death (the born into death and sin side of being born as humans is replaced by a second birth into God's family by being born again) into life in Christ and that too is permanent.

Our spirits are literally born again, and our flesh lags behind, waiting for the Rapture when it can catch up. The Salvation is complete, a finished work, I'm adopted into the family of God, God is now my heavenly Father and the process of Sanctification (my earthly battle with my flesh) has begun, and will continue until death or the Rapture.

The Old Testament saints from before the cross (eg Noah and John the Baptist) are saved looking to God to supply what we lack in other words looking forward to the cross of Christ with all their OT sacrifices being but a type and shadow of the cross to come. They looked for God to do something that would justify them. They didn't have to understand exactly how it would happen, just that God would provide a Lamb (as Abraham said)

Since the cross we are all saved (whether Jew or Gentile, Church age saint, Tribulation saint or Millennial saint) by looking back to the cross for the payment in full for the debt we cannot pay.

Adoption as Lewis Sperry Chafer quoted here by Ev Life, shows us that we who are grafted in to Israel, are grafted into their adoption but this time, it's as mature sons (daughters) which has an enlarged better position than the child under the tutors (which Paul in Galatians 4 pictured as the Jews under the law and contrasted with the better way of Grace).

As seen here from this quote in the middle of the passage:
"In it's distinctive significance, spiritual adoption means that the one thus placed has at once all the privilege--which is that of independence from tutors and governors--and liberty of a full-grown man. The Christian is enjoined to "stand fast" in the liberty wherewith Christ has made him free and not to be "entangled again with the yoke of bondage," which is evidently a reference to the legal or merit system (Gal. 5:1).

Spiritual adoptions also imposes the responsibilities belonging to full maturity. This is clear from the fact that, whatever God addresses to any believer, He addresses to all who believe.
"

Chafer goes on to elaborate using Galatians and Ephesians

"Adoption assumes a practical meaning as set forth in the Galatian and Roman Epistles. In the former it becomes a deliverance from slavery, from guardians, and from nonage; in the latter it signifies a deliverance from the flesh (cf. Rom. 8:14-17). All of this is directly due to the new, complete responsibility which full maturity imposes and to the divine plan that the believer's life is to be lived from the start in the power of the Holy Spirit."

But this is not the final state- that occurs at the redemption of the body, which is at the return of Christ as Chafer points out here:

"The final placing as exalted mature sons awaits the redemption of the body, which will occur at the return of Christ (Rom. 8:23). This, too, is related to the "glorious liberty of the children [not, little children] of God" (Rom. 8:21)."

Which means that final part of our redemption- that of the body being transformed into the glorified eternal body that we will dwell in is the final act of redemption and of adoption.

I'm not sure if there is more to this in heaven (perhaps as part of the Bema seat or marriage supper of the Lamb)???? But it is an interesting discussion.

I thought perhaps a quote might help bring more clarity on this subject of adoption by sharing what Lewis Sperry Chafer has written on the subject. He is an excellent, grace based (and acknowledging the utter Holiness of God) theologian who explains things very well. He explains a little bit about adoption in the earthly sense along with the spiritual sense and particularly look his quote in the last paragraph by Dr. C. I. Scofield. Perhaps this might be helpful. Note, I'll type out the Greek as I see and perhaps someone can help me with this? :) This is from Chafer's Systematic Theology series of books, volume VII, pg 9-11. All italics within these [...] and underlining is mine:

ADOPTION

1. THE USUAL MEANING. The Bible recognizes the usual meaning of the word adoption, which is the placing of one rightfully outside blood ties into the position of a legal child (not, a natural child) in the family. Though not known at first among Jews, adoption was practiced by the Egyptians. Exodus 2:10 records the adoption of Moses by Pharaoh's daughter (cf. 1 Kings 11:20). The adoption of Esther (cf. Esther 2:7, 15) demonstrates that the custom was practiced by Jews in Babylon. Greece and Rome were evidently included among those who followed this custom. The Apostle Paul, indeed, uses this term only when writing to Gentiles. He writes to such about the national placing of Israel above other peoples--" To whom pertaineth the adoption" (Rom. 9:4-5--as an adoption, but this instance bears closely upon the spiritual, New Testament use of the word. However, it is evident from Exodus 4:22; Deuteronomy 32:6; Isiah 64:8; Jeremiah 31:9; and Hosea 11:1 that Israel, though called the son of Jehovah, is a son only by birtue of decree or sovereign placing and not by virtue of natural or spiritual ties in their relation to Jehovah as a child.

2. THE NEW TESTAMENT MEANING. The spiritual use of the word adoption signifies the placing of newborn child--in point of maturity--into the position of privilege and responsibility attached to an adult son. Here an important distinction appears between two Greek words, namely, tekviov [I don't know how to greekify the greek word here so bear with me, perhaps others can change it]--used to denote little children who are under the authority of parents, tutors, and governors (cf John 13:33)--and vios--used to denote an adult son. Christ accordingly spoke of Himself as Son of man, and by employing the latter meant that He is One of full maturity. Perplexity may arise over why a born, and thus a natural, child should be adopted at all; for , as usually conceived, could add nothing to rights which are gained by natural birth. It is thus, however, that the true spiritual meaning of adoption appears. The naturally born child is by adoption advanced positionally to his majority and given at once the standing of an adult son. Since spiritual adoption occurs at the time one is saved and thus becomes a child of God, there is no childhood period recognized in the Christians experience. The one reference in 1 Corinthians 3:1 to "babes in Christ" sustains no relation to an immaturity which is due to brief experience with the Christian life; it is a reference to limitations which belong to an unspiritual or carnal state. The believer who is carnal may have been saved for many years.

In it's distinctive significance, spiritual adoption means that the one thus placed has at once all the privilege--which is that of independence from tutors and governors--and liberty of a full-grown man. The Christian is enjoined to "stand fast" in the liberty wherewith Christ has made him free and not to be "entangled again with the yoke of bondage," which is evidently a reference to the legal or merit system (Gal. 5:1). Spiritual adoptions also imposes the responsibilities belonging to full maturity. This is clear from the fact that, whatever God addresses to any believer, He addresses to all who believe. No portions of the hortatory [HORTATORY is hortative, exhortatory or to exhort] Scriptures intended for Christians are restricted to beginners in the Christian life. The same holy walk and exercise of gifts is expected from all the children of God alike. Since the Christian life is to be lived in the power of the Holy Spirit, this requirement is reasonable; for the enabling power of the Spirit is as available for one as for another. Practically, long years of experience in the Christian life will doubtless tend to skilled adaptation to that new manner of life; but those years add no more resource than is given by the Spirit from the beginning to those who are saved. The whole field of Christian responsibility is by so much related to this doctrine of adoption.

Adoption assumes a practical meaning as set forth in the Galatian and Roman Epistles. In the former it becomes a deliverance from slavery, from guardians, and from nonage; in the latter it signifies a deliverance from the flesh (cf. Rom. 8:14-17). All of this is directly due to the new, complete responsibility which full maturity imposes and to the divine plan that the believer's life is to be lived from the start in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The final placing as exalted mature sons awaits the redemption of the body, which will occur at the return of Christ (Rom. 8:23). This, too, is related to the "glorious liberty of the children [not, little children] of God" (Rom. 8:21).

Dr. C. I. Scofield presents this same definition of adoption in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible: "Adoption (huiothesia, 'placing as a son') is not so much a word of relationship as as of position. The believer's relation to God as a child results from the new birth (John 1:12, 13), whereas adoption is the act of God whereby one already a child is, through redemption from the law, placed in the position of an adult son (Gal. 4:1-5). The indwelling Spirit gives the realization of this in the believer's present experience (Gal. 4:1-5); but the full manifestation of the believer's sonship awaits the resurrections, change, and translations of the saints, which is called 'the redemption of the body' (Rom. 8:23; 1 Thes. 4:14-17; Eph. 1:14; 1 John 3:2" (p 1250).

This is the end of the quote. So, as I'm understanding Scofield, I believe what he's succinctly said might also be what is being communicated in some of the posting here related to the subject of adoption?

It seems what is being said in the quote above is that in relationship to God, because of new birth via faith in Jesus, we are children of God now of which the Holy Spirit gives us a present realization of in the experience of our new lives here on earth. Our faith in Jesus is how we are related in a family sense. However, the full manifestation or complete results, if you will, of our adoption, while a done deal and secure, awaits us at the resurrection when our bodies will be changed.

Now, I wonder if it's at this full manifestation stage of our adoption that PaidInFull is seeing a legal component at play?

Hopefully I've not added confusion here. :)

I also really appreciated Dr Schofield's summation which Ev Life also quoted: I've added emphasis and separated the concepts with a little white space which allows me to more easily understand things.

"Dr. C. I. Scofield presents this same definition of adoption in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible: "Adoption (huiothesia, 'placing as a son') is not so much a word of relationship as as of position.

The believer's relation to God as a child results from the new birth (John 1:12, 13),

whereas adoption is the act of God whereby one already a child is, through redemption from the law, placed in the position of an adult son (Gal. 4:1-5).

The indwelling Spirit gives the realization of this in the believer's present experience
(Gal. 4:1-5);

but the full manifestation of the believer's sonship awaits the resurrections, change, and translations of the saints, which is called 'the redemption of the body' (Rom. 8:23; 1 Thes. 4:14-17; Eph. 1:14; 1 John 3:2".

Edited to add, Scofield's wording in that second line could be modernized to say it this way: Whereas Adoption is the act of God (in which we as children of God by being born again), are now thru the redemption from the law, placed in the position of an adult son...

The early church believers knew they were children of God.
When Paul revealed the mystery of the rapture given to him through Jesus, it became clear what the blessed hope was.
However, because the rapture is imminent and no one knew the day or the hour, that's why the Thessalonians got worried they had missed the rapture because of the persecution they were under and thought they were in the Tribulation, and Paul had to explain again telling them, "don't you remember when I told you....". Then he went on in
2 Thessalonians chapter 2 to explain what had to happen before the Tribulation began.
And Paul reassured the believers that they had not missed the rapture.
I point this out because the imminemcy of the rapture doesn't take away from the pre Tribulation doctrine and our adoption is complete but we are still here because of the great commission that has been given to us and Peter explains why the promises have not yet come to be. Our Commission is not yet finished. Jesus left instruction to occupy until He comes. When we read the Bible prophecies and understand what must happen in the last days, we know that the world conditions will get worse as we get closer to Jesus return and expect tribulation yet know that He has overcome the world, but we are not appointed to wrath says Paul, even if pre wrath thinkers believe that the first five seals are mans wrath or satan's wrath, again Paul specifies we aren't appointed to wrath period, and doesn't point to God's wrath. But we know that the 70th week of Daniel's prophecy covers the entirety of the Tribulation, Jacob's Trouble, not the church's trouble, beginning with the opening of the first seal by Jesus.

"For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ"
1 Thessalonians 5:9

I said a lot here but a lot has been said in this thread and I am holding fast to my blessed hope knowing that I Am a child of God completely because my salvation was completed on the cross and I have faith in Jesus finished work and he has risen and is my Lord and Savior.

"But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light"
1 Peter 2:9

I've found in my Christian walk that Jesus has made the important things quite easy to understand when we're searching for Truth in the Spirit. When I got saved I knew I had been forgiven and that Jesus's dying on the cross made that possible. I knew I had assurance that I was saved and would spend eternity with Jesus.

Later, the Bible confirmed what the Spirit of God had already shown me as I began to read from the Bible and learn about God.

After somewhat following this thread (in a manner of perusing), and finding many posts seemingly complicated and with parts that I disagreed with, I'll say that I was grafted in (adopted) when I got saved. I've no doubt of that. There is no further degrees to achieve insofar as my adoption is concerned. When I was adopted I received all of the rights and privileges that come with that adoption.

When I die or am Raptured I will realize the fullness of what is already mine as a child of God. My adoption hasn't changed or been magnified in some way, I haven't stepped up a degree or two in the Body of Christ, I'm just receiving what has already been promised to me at the moment of my adoption, which, as far as I'm concerned, occurred on 10/11 Oct 1975. My salvation may have been predestined before I ever existed, but the adoption did not occur until I received Christ into my life as my personal Savior. Praise the Lord!

I've found in my Christian walk that Jesus has made the important things quite easy to understand when we're searching for Truth in the Spirit. When I got saved I knew I had been forgiven and that Jesus's dying on the cross made that possible. I knew I had assurance that I was saved and would spend eternity with Jesus.

Later, the Bible confirmed what the Spirit of God had already shown me as I began to read from the Bible and learn about God.

After somewhat following this thread (in a manner of perusing), and finding many posts seemingly complicated and with parts that I disagreed with, I'll say that I was grafted in (adopted) when I got saved. I've no doubt of that. There is no further degrees to achieve insofar as my adoption is concerned. When I was adopted I received all of the rights and privileges that come with that adoption.

When I die or am Raptured I will realize the fullness of what is already mine as a child of God. My adoption hasn't changed or been magnified in some way, I haven't stepped up a degree or two in the Body of Christ, I'm just receiving what has already been promised to me at the moment of my adoption, which, as far as I'm concerned, occurred on 10/11 Oct 1975. My salvation may have been predestined before I ever existed, but the adoption did not occur until I received Christ into my life as my personal Savior. Praise the Lord!
Absolutely!
It is upon our believing in Jesus for what He has done for us that we are Born Again and become a New Creation, joint heirs with Christ. We're Saved and Sealed and Are children of God.

I've found in my Christian walk that Jesus has made the important things quite easy to understand when we're searching for Truth in the Spirit.
There was a saying from J Vernon McGee, about keeping the cookies on the bottom shelf so the children could grab them. He meant keeping the teachings simplified- out in the open, easy to grab onto so that the youngest believer could understand them. I agree.

Before opening up the details, it's important to nail down the broader picture.

I need the broad picture first so I can figure out where all the fine details should go to rest.

When I'm listening to someone explain something it helps to figure out which direction they start from- is it the broad overview then drill down to the fine details kind of like zeroing in on a painting --

OR

-- are they already seeing a painting up close and trying to explain the detail that they see by explaining how it relates to the whole picture.

That is harder to understand because they are giving details that have no place yet in a general understanding in me the listener to hang the details before we see how the whole thing works. They see the whole picture but it's harder for me to figure it out because I don't yet have a frame of reference to place the details.

@PaidInFull if you can provide a super simplified bird's eye overview of the topic, a synopsis of where you are going, it might make it easier to understand how this differs from adoption as we've all understood it and outlined it.

I need the broad picture first so I can figure out where all the fine details should go to rest.

PaidInFull, I believe I can see where you are headed, and I respect what you are trying to do as good teachers will do. However, for the sake of clarity and respectfully, I believe what Margery is speaking of would actually be really helpful so there's less unease as we go along. :) This might partly have to do with possible culture aspects in that often in various writings we are taught in the U.S. (assuming much with the members here :lol: ) to give an overview of what will be taught or shared, and then things get broken down to support the overview or main point. Maybe that's part of what's going on here?

I don't want to miss what you are getting at but I also can see where others are struggling to make sure they are not being taken for a ride either (not that you are trying to do this!).....because unfortunately too many before have done this....so many are gun shy so to speak. I think there's a tender, patient carefulness that's needed. :)

I believe your heart is one of great care and concern with a desire to share the fabulous treasures of Christ, I can read this and pick up on this in your writings. However, it seems that because you've been cut off and shut down in the past, I'm picking up on a little defensiveness (I totally get this.....and I could also be misreading too as online communication misses much), and I know that you are eager to have others understand (I'm eager to understand)....which takes patience. If you can continue to be patient with us, we can be patient too.....and I think we all are trying to do that. :)

Please know I say this in affectionate, sisterly love and in enjoyment of the spiritual back and forth conversation happening. It has been very stimulating. :)

As I've been reading this thread some passages have come to mind that are comforting. PaidInFull, you beat me to the punch with Colossians 1:22-23, I love how it assures that believers are holy and blameless without a single fault because of Jesus's work and our faith in Him. Plus it says not to drift away....from this assurance (how wonderful God wants us to be assured!):

Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault.

But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News. The Good News has been preached all over the world, and I, Paul, have been appointed as God’s servant to proclaim it.

Ephesians 2 confirms that people are either with God or with satan and lays this out in pretty stark contrast (but other scripture speak of God's desire for the whole world to come to faith if they so choose, after all Jesus died for the whole world's sins):

Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God’s anger, just like everyone else.

But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:1-6 - to me this hearkens back to Genesis where God divided the light and darkness.....and, as I understand, because Christ is in believers, united with Him, we, the body of Christ, are positionally seated with Christ. While we are united with Him in spirit, we will be fully united in spirit and in new bodies. In a sense, He's holding a guaranteed, reserved spot for us (just trying to put out a word picture for connection)?

And I love what Jesus said to Mary after His resurrection, to tell the disciples (note He doesn't call them disciples anymore, check out the verbiage indicating close family connection):

“Don’t cling to me,” Jesus said, “for I haven’t yet ascended to the Father. But go find my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

John 20:17

Jesus said, go find my brothers (not disciples anymore) then he says first of all, 'I'm ascending to my Father and your Father' (this communicates a deep, sort of close permanent family ties type of relationship, which came about because of Jesus's work and then 'my God and your God.'

Coming from a background where assurance of salvation was shaky at best, it was this last passage that really opened my eyes to the relationship part of salvation that Jesus opened up to me. The very close, intimate family relationship.....thus God's very protective posture towards His beloved bride. So, I see that right now there is that family relationship connection now with even more to come (as other passages seem to point to). That's exciting!

Yes, done deal from the moment of salvation. Scripture is quite clear on this.

This is not my argument - it is God's. You have to decide if you agree with God or not and not me. I am just quoting God...

Matthew 13:38
The field is the world, and the good seed represents the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one.

John 8:44
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out his desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, refusing to uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, because he is a liar and the father of lies.

Acts 13:10
And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

7Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil [c]has been sinning from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9No one who has been born of God practices sin, because His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin continually, because he has been born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother and sister.
I am very late to the game, in fact I am not really in the game at this point. As this thread is so long, I have not read everything, but I did find something that I want to respond to which is the Bible verses listed above.

PaidInFull seems to be saying there are two types of people. Those who are evil and those who are righteous, which I kind of agree with. Now all of us are sinful, but not all of us are evil. How do I know that? Because Noah and his family and Lot and his family were considered to be righteous. Look at what God says about those who are evil.
Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Here is what God's Word says about Lot.
2 Peter 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
2 Peter 2:8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

Now here is what Jesus says regarding who will be saved, which again is the righteous. Now this is not God's righteousness but comparing men to other men. None of us have God's righteousness until we accept Jesus as our Savior.
John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Notice those who are evil love darkness, deeds are evil, hate the light (Jesus) and will not come to the light. This is what some men were even before Jesus (the light) came into the world like Cain. To be very clear the ONLY way we are saved is by accepting Jesus as our Savior. The only reason the evil will go to Hell, is because they will not accept Jesus as their Savior. So salvation of course is only by our own choice!

So I have stated that I do believe some people are evil and some are not based on the great flood, Sodom & Gomorrah and John 3:19 through 3:21.

Son's of God? Yes, anyone who accepts Jesus as their Savior.
John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Son's of Satan?
Sort of, but only in terms of their actions meaning doing things that Satan would do. Look at what Jesus say's to Paul.
Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

So when the Bible says we are God's sons after accepting Jesus as our Savior, that is to be taken literally.
So when the Bible says we are son's of the Devil, that is to be taken figuratively.

There is a method to how we become children of God which is acceptance of Jesus as our Savior.
There is no method for us to actually become children of the Devil.

Those are my thoughts anyway. If anyone has questions I will be happy to answer them, but I am not looking to debate.

God Bless! 🙏

When I was in Bible College I was taught that we need to hear new information 7 times and preferably 7 different ways for it to sink in. It took God 65 years to complete the New Testament, there wasn't an instant download.

When I was in Bible College we were taught to pray this prayer many times every day. If the apostle Paul prayed it over the church, we need to pray it over ourselves (with the rest of the prayer of course).

PaidInFull,

While there is nothing wrong with Bible College, please don't put your trust in what man has taught you. The only truth is in the Bible, nothing else. Anything stated outside of the Bible may or may not be true, even what I am saying right now. What I am saying comes from my understanding of the Bible and the same is true for what any other Pastor or Christian says.

I am going to make a statement but not to you only but to all.
Too many people think they can understand scripture the same way we learn in school. Yes school certainly helps us to excel in Satan's system as that is what it is designed to do. That is not necessarily true of God's word. I was speaking with someone just yesterday and I said I wanted to tell him where I received my understanding of scripture from. His answer surprised me as he said, "I already know it comes from the Holy Spirit". I responded with "Exactly!!!"

You see the only way to truly understand scripture is by the Holy Spirit teaching it to you. Just to be clear, I am not saying if one is taught by the Holy Spirit that they are always correct, just that they have a better chance of being correct. So I am not saying or implying that I am always correct, but I am saying that what I understand and write has mostly come from the Holy Spirit.

So what is my point? I don't care how smart or studied one is or how many years they went to Bible college or seminary, if they have not been given the gift of teaching and are led by the Holy Spirit all of the learning is in vain.

Here are some verses to ponder. :)

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1 Corinthians 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Mark 13:11 But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Goodboy
:)

PaidInFull,

While there is nothing wrong with Bible College, please don't put your trust in what man has taught you. The only truth is in the Bible, nothing else. Anything stated outside of the Bible may or may not be true, even what I am saying right now. What I am saying comes from my understanding of the Bible and the same is true for what any other Pastor or Christian says.

I am going to make a statement but not to you only but to all.
Too many people think they can understand scripture the same way we learn in school. Yes school certainly helps us to excel in Satan's system as that is what it is designed to do. That is not necessarily true of God's word. I was speaking with someone just yesterday and I said I wanted to tell him where I received my understanding of scripture from. His answer surprised me as he said, "I already know it comes from the Holy Spirit". I responded with "Exactly!!!"

You see the only way to truly understand scripture is by the Holy Spirit teaching it to you. Just to be clear, I am not saying if one is taught by the Holy Spirit that hey are always correct, just that they have a better chance of being correct. So I am not saying or implying that I am always correct, but I am saying that what I understand and write has mostly come from the Holy Spirit.

So what is my point? I don't care how smart or studied one is or how many years they went to Bible college or seminary, if they have not been given the gift of teaching and are led by the Holy Spirit all of the learning is in vain.

Here are some verses to ponder. :)

James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1 Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1 Corinthians 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Mark 13:11 But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Goodboy
:)
Amen. The Holy Spirit is our teacher and helper.
Every believer who yield to The Holy Spirit to give insight and enlightenment of scripture, He will not hold back from giving it to us.
The Holy Spirit in conjunction with The Word of God gives us understanding of scripture and how to utilize scripture in any circumstance we are in need of. 2 Timothy 3:16.
But it takes dedication to stay in scripture regularly just as Jesus example saying
Man cannot live by bread alone, but by every utterance of God's Word.
How else can we know God's Word if we don't make it our daily Sustenance.
To merely snack on God's Word now and then cannot fully sustain us nor give us the tools needed to address the things we need to know.
It's not healthy to depend on the things man says alone but always test the spirits by going to the Word of God.

It's especially wise to watch for words like
In my opinion, it's my belief, in my understanding, and other statements like that because that's a signal what they are saying can be questionable and it's time to look at what God's Word says about it.

There was a saying from J Vernon McGee, about keeping the cookies on the bottom shelf so the children could grab them. He meant keeping the teachings simplified- out in the open, easy to grab onto so that the youngest believer could understand them. I agree.

Before opening up the details, it's important to nail down the broader picture.

When I'm listening to someone explain something it helps to figure out which direction they start from- is it the broad overview then drill down to the fine details kind of like zeroing in on a painting --

OR

-- are they already seeing a painting up close and trying to explain the detail that they see by explaining how it relates to the whole picture.

That is harder to understand because they are giving details that have no place yet in a general understanding in me the listener to hang the details before we see how the whole thing works. They see the whole picture but it's harder for me to figure it out because I don't yet have a frame of reference to place the details.

@PaidInFull if you can provide a super simplified bird's eye overview of the topic, a synopsis of where you are going, it might make it easier to understand how this differs from adoption as we've all understood it and outlined it.
Back again family and thanks for your comments and questions.

This thread is born from my many debates about the rapture with learned pre-wrather's and post-tribbers who will easily dismantle the arguments I see presented in this forum because these guys were previously pre-trib teachers. One guy, my favorite foil, was a Calvary Chapel pre-trib teacher for 20 years and dismantles all the pre-trib verses I see you present. Another a CC pastor for decades and these men earnestly contend against their previously held views on the pre-trib.

I see pre-tribbers join them because they are not adequately taught about the pre-trib. and it was my intention to press on in this thread in the beginning but we hit the first hurdle, a misunderstanding of what the word hope means. Even when I try to make this as simple as possible by using brief Encyclopedia and Dictionary references, I still see some of you are not convinced! There needs to be a proper foundation laid on what Hope is because the blessed hope is not one hope for the future, all hope is to be blessed in the future.

Then adoption totally confused many and still does. Why? Because some of you don't understand the three tenses of your own salvation.

I hoped to equip you better in two ways, first of all in defense of the rapture and secondly by increasing in the knowledge of God. However I see I am being challenged on what I thought you understood.

I am going try to simplify how FUTURE ADOPTION differs from PRESENT ADOPTION as per Margery's request in a moment, but I have to state this, Jesus gave gifts to the church... teachers.

I see so many posts in other forums saying that all we need is the Holy Spirit and then the Holy Spirit taught me and we end up with the Holy Spirit opposing the Holy Spirit because some are still on milk and misunderstand the scriptures. We need both: good teachers and the Holy Spirit, not one or the other and this is what the Word teaches us. The Word, the Holy Spirit and Teachers are all the gifts of God to the church.

Margery, in order to understand adoption, we need to forget completely about adoption for a moment and understand SALVATION, because all the doctrines of the faith need to be examined in this past, present and future light and then adoption as a past, present and future reality makes sense. It is not just adoption that is being misunderstood and even contested here, but it is how God works out our salvation.

If there is no future adoption, then this thread is pointless. If there is, then the questions is, how does it develop from our present understanding of adoption. To bring you all with me I need to switch topics for a moment and get you to consider your personal salvation and what you expect for the future

.I am going to select some quotes from Arthur Pink from 1928 regarding salvation...

The subject of God's "so great salvation" (Heb. 2:3), as it is revealed to us in the Scriptures and made known in Christian experience, is worthy of a life's study. Anyone who supposes that there is now no longer any need for him to prayerfully search for a fuller understanding of the same, needs to ponder, "If any man thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know" (1 Cor. 8:2). The fact is that the moment any of us really takes it for granted that he already knows all that there is to be known on any subject treated of in Holy Writ, he at once cuts himself off from any further light thereon. That which is most needed by all of us in order to a better understanding of Divine things is not a brilliant intellect—but a truly humble heart and a teachable spirit, and for that we should daily and fervently pray—for we possess it not by nature...

...Even where there is fundamental soundness in their views upon Divine salvation—yet many have such inadequate and one-sided conceptions that other aspects of this truth, equally important and essential, are often overlooked and tacitly denied.

How many, for example, would be capable of giving a simple exposition of the following texts, "Who has saved us" (2 Tim. 1:9). "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Phil. 2:12), "Now is our salvation nearer than when we believed" (Romans 13:11). Now those verses do not refer to three different salvations—but to three separate aspects of one and unless we learn to distinguish sharply between them, there can be nothing but confusion and cloudiness in our thinking. Those passages present three distinct phases and stages of salvation—salvation . . .​

As an accomplished fact,

As a present process

As a future prospect

So many today ignore these distinctions, jumbling them together. Some contend for one and argue against the other two; and vice versa. Some insist they are already saved, and deny that they are now being saved. Some declare that salvation is entirely future, and deny that it is in any sense already accomplished. Both are wrong.​

The fact is, that the great majority of professing Christians fail to see that "salvation" is one of the most comprehensive terms in all the Scriptures, including predestination, regeneration, justification, sanctification and glorification. They have far too cramped an idea of the meaning and scope of the word "salvation" (as it is used in the Scriptures), narrowing its range too much, generally confining their thoughts to but a single phase. They suppose "salvation" means no more than the new birth or the forgiveness of sins. Were one to tell them that salvation is a protracted process, they would view him with suspicion; and if he affirmed that salvation is something awaiting us in the future, they would at once dub him a heretic. Yet they would be the ones to err...

...Let us now supplement the first three verses quoted and show there are other passages in the New Testament which definitely refer to each distinct tense of salvation.​

First, salvation as an accomplished fact, "Your faith has saved you" (Luke 7:50), "by grace you have been saved" (Greek, and so translated in the R.V.—Eph. 2:8), "according to His mercy He saved us" (Titus 3:5).

Second, salvation as a present process, in course of accomplishment, not yet completed, "Unto us which are being saved" (1 Cor. 1:18—R.V.); "Those who believe to the saving (not 'salvation') of the soul" (Heb. 10:39).

Third, salvation as a future prospect, "Sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation" (Heb. 1:14), "receive with meekness the engrafted Word, which is able to save your souls" (James 1:21), "Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation, ready to be revealed in the last time" (1 Peter 1:5).​

Thus, by putting together these different passages, we are clearly warranted in formulating the following statement—every genuine Christian has been saved, is now being saved, and will yet be saved—how and from what, we shall endeavor to show.

END QUOTE: If you want to read the whole sermon copy some of this into search.

We are all in a state of hope in all our doctrines and a Word study on hope is needed for many of you so you understand the dictionary and encyclopedia is giving you the boiled down distilled essential that needS to be studied in-depth.​

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(3) Yet, certain though the hope might be, it was not yet attained, and the interim was an opportunity to develop faith, "the substance of the things hoped for" (Hebrews 11:1 ). Indeed, hope is simply faith directed toward the future, and no sharp distinction between faith and hope is attainable.

The Holman Bible Dictionary
"Trustful expectation, particularly with reference to the fulfillment of God's promises. Biblical hope is the anticipation of a favorable outcome under God's guidance. More specifically, hope is the confidence that what God has done for us in the past guarantees our participation in what God will do in the future. This contrasts to the world's definition of hope as “a feeling that what is wanted will happen.” Understood in this way, hope can denote either a baseless optimism or a vague yearning after an unattainable good. If hope is to be genuine hope, however, it must be founded on something (or someone) which affords reasonable grounds for confidence in its fulfillment. The Bible bases its hope in God and His saving acts."

Barnes
Christians only have the prospect of deliverance. To them is held out the hope of final rescue, and of an eternal inheritance beyond all these sufferings. They wait, therefore, for the full benefits of the adoption; the complete recovery even of the body from the effects of sin, and the toils and trials of this live; and thus they are sustained by hope, which is the argument which the apostle has in view; Romans 8:23-24. With this view of the general scope of the passage, we may examine the particular phrases....

Now to put Hope, Adoption & Salvation together...

Expositor's Greek Testament (Denney) explains
This sentence explains why Paul can speak of Christians as waiting for adoption, while they are nevertheless in the enjoyment of sonship. It is because salvation is essentially related to the future. ‘We wait for it: for we were saved in hope.....Hope, the apostle argues, is an essential characteristic of our salvation; but hope turned sight is hope no more, for who hopes for what he sees? We do not see all the Gospel held out to us, but it is the object of our Christian hope nevertheless; it is as true and sure as the love of God which in Christ Jesus reconciled us to Himself and gave us the Spirit of adoption, and therefore we wait for it in patience.

Dear sister Marg, you asked for a super simplified explanation of how where I am going differs from adoption as we have all understood it. This is the minimum proof I think I can give to help some to grasp that our present spiritual blessing is not the fulfillment of the state of hope for adoption or salvation that God intents to be far more glorious than we now experience, and it is fulfilled in heaven before the Father, and that demands the rapture to heaven and not back to earth.

The blessed hope AND the appearing of Jesus, (some versions miss out the Greek word AND making the glorious appearing of Jesus the blessed hope) is destined to be fulfilled in heaven.

IF there is clearly a past, present and a future fulfillment for adoption, and salvation, and all the doctrines that are included in the general term our salvation. then the post-trib doesn't have a leg to stand on before I even address what happens in heaven.

As pre-tribbers we need to know our doctrines and how they are in a present state of HOPE and HOPE always means the future.

William Newell - Now hope is expecting something better! The very fact that we have not seen it realized as yet, begets within us that grace which is so precious to God--patience. But note, it is not patience in the abstract that is set forth here: but patient waiting for the coming liberty of the glory of the children of God. (Newell's Commentary on Romans)

Marvin Vincent rightly reminds us that "In the New Testament the word (hope-elpis) always relates to a future good."

Finally, while Adrian thinks I am slow, Packer is much slower and I quote him...

Therefore I pray that the main point of the message is plain from Hebrews and from Romans, namely, that the biblical concept of hope, which we are going to be examining for the next 16 weeks, is not the ordinary concept we use in everyday speech. It does not imply uncertainty or lack of assurance. Instead, biblical hope is a confident expectation and desire for something good in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back