What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lordship Salvation, Part 2 (Matthew 3:2) Andy Woods

Andy C

Well-known
And now we come to number 5, 6, and 7, and that’s going to be our lesson tonight. The fifth problem with Lordship salvation is it fails to make basic dispensational distinctions. So there I just used the dreaded “d” word, “dispensation.” And what does dispensation mean? And let me explain a little bit about what that means and then I’ll try to show you how this becomes very significant in the whole Lordship salvation controversy. The word translated “dispensation,” you’ll find a translation of it, depending on what Bible version you’re using, in Ephesians 1:10 and Ephesians 3:2. [Ephesians 1:10, “That in the dispensation of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:” KJV. Ephesians 3:2, “If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:” KJV]

Those are the two places where the word “dispensation” is translated in some Bible verses. But the Greek word that translates that word “dispensation” is the word oikonomia; oikonomia is a compound word, meaning two words making up one word. It comes from two words, oikos, which means house, and nomos which means law or rules. So oikonomia simply stated means house rules.

So what a dispensationalist is, is somebody that looks at the Bible and notices that from age to age the rules change. Now the plan of salvation is always the same, no matter what age of time you’re in, in the Scripture. In the Old Testament they were looking forward to a Messiah that would come and they were saved by faith. We look backwards to a Messiah that already came, we know His name, we’re saved by faith, so the plan of salvation is always the same for personal salvation from age to age. However, as you go through the Bible you’ll discover that there are dramatic changes of rules. For example, in between Genesis 1 and 2 and Genesis 3 do the rules change?

Well absolutely, Genesis 3 isn’t anything like Genesis 1 and 2. Genesis 3 you have death entering the picture, pregnancy becoming difficult, you have people working by the sweat of their brow. None of that’s happening in Genesis 1 and 2. So what happened in Genesis 3 with the fall of man is the rules changed. You see? God’s basic governing structure changes just in the first three chapters of the Scripture. And a traditional dispensationalist, like myself, would look back at the Bible and say there’s about seven times where the rules have changed. For example, how many of you brought with you to church last weekend an unblemished lamb? Let’s see a show of hands. Well, the Old Testament tells God’s people to do that. And by the way, why did you show up on Sunday, you should have showed up on Saturday. And you shouldn’t have gone to your church, you should have gone to the temple in the Middle East, if you’re really going to follow the Bible. Right?

Well, we all recognize that the rules have changed, in between the Old Testament and the New Testament, after the beginning of the church age we don’t bring animal sacrifices any more. And because Christ resurrected on Sunday we show up on Sunday rather than Saturday. And we understand that we’re not part of the nation of Israel; Israel was a nation, the church consists of people all over the world in multiple nations.

So there’s obviously a change of rules. So everybody is a dispensationalist whether they want to admit it, of one kind or the other. Now the reason this is such a big deal is I had you open up to Matthew 3:2 which is the preaching of John the Baptist. He says, “Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand.” Now Lordship salvation people believe that’s the gospel. You know, that is the gospel that we are to proclaim to the unbelievers today, “Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand.” And they say there it is, it’s not just faith alone, it is personal repentance of sins. I’m not sure how they interpret “kingdom” but you notice the words, “the kingdom of heaven is at hand” is thrown in.

And what I’m trying to argue here is early Matthew is a different stage of house rules in comparison to what we’re governed by today. And you see if you don’t understand basic dispensational distinctives within the Bible you get very confused as to exactly what gospel it is, what Scriptures we’re supposed to use to preach to unbelievers.

So what Matthew 3:2 is, is God’s program with Israel. Now the nation of Israel began, really in Genesis 12, and in Genesis 15 God made to Israel a covenant called the Abrahamic Covenant, given to the patriarch Abram, who later became Abraham, and He gave Israel an unconditional covenant consisting of three blessings: land, seed (or descendants) and personal blessing. So that’s the foundational structure of God’s beginning work with the nation of Israel.

A very good continuation of this series. Just finished the lengthy article at the link, it's full of good info and scripture references. Though I'm quite familiar with this topic, I especially like how he tied in the importance of dispensationalism and recognizing it's importance in correctly identifying the different covenants, different target audience, difference in gospels being preached and how it greatly impacts a persons overall theology.

I look forward to the conclusion. I know I could look up the last installment myself but I'm following through some other studies and I enjoy reading these as they pop up on the forums.

From the article:
"All right, well let’s take our Bibles and open them to the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 3 and verse 2. And if you have been tracking with us in our study of soteriology, which is what we have been going over this quarter, which is the doctrine of salvation, we’re in an area that we call God’s one condition of salvation. And it’s here that we’re emphasizing that there’s only one verb that must be employed by the unsaved sinner to get saved, and that’s the verb believe. And we looked at that biblically. That’s the overwhelming teaching of the Bible."

I love how simple Pastor Woods makes this.

I was listening to an audiobook from D.L. Moody and want to share something he said: "Even the most generous man can not forgive someone who is not indebted to him."

In my salvation, I wasn't drawn to God due to trouble with my sins, my life was going very well. I wasn't concerned about God and didn't believe there was a Jesus. When the Holy Spirit convicted me of our Father's love and that Jesus is all the Bible says He is, I turned to Him in faith -- abandoning my sin of unbelief.

Then I began to understand how indebted I have been my whole life!
:thankyou:

When the Holy Spirit convicted me of our Father's love and that Jesus is all the Bible says He is, I turned to Him in faith -- abandoning my sin of unbelief.
Forgive me if I'm reading more into your post of your salvation experience than you intended (though I don't think I am). What you said above is a perfect example of what Dr. Woods describes in this teaching, that repentance and belief are synonymous, at least in the context of justification as mentioned in part 1 of this series below.

Now once you say that people will say well wait a minute, there’s other passages that seem to teach something different. There’s a collection of passages that say a believer must repent. So last time I tried to show you how we harmonize “repent” with the word “believe.” Remember that? Repent means change of mind, which is a synonym for believe. Remember we went through all of that.

You describe the Holy Spirit's conviction that led to your belief. The fact that that you turned to God in faith, believing that Jesus is all He says He is, is repentance. It's not a separate act distinct from belief as so many teach. When a person turns to Jesus in faith, trusting in Him alone for their salvation, they have in fact just repented (having that change of mind), in the way scripture uses the word repentance in the context of individual salvation.

With so many nuggets of good doctrine being touch upon in this Andy Woods series, your post brought to mind what he said quoted above. You "turned to Him in faith", as all of us who are saved have, and I thought it was a good real life example of repentance resulting in salvation.

My conviction of unbelief was a little different but my repentance/turning to Him in faith was the same.
I hope my rambling didn't take away from your post.

Back