What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lordship Salvation, Part 1 (Matthew 16:24-25) Andy Woods

Andy C

Well-known
This is a sermon by Woods, transcribed to read. Lengthy read, but he dismantles the false teaching of Lordship Salvation

Good evening everybody. We had a handout going around, does anybody need that. You can put your hand up and we’ll give you a handout. The handout, as you know, just contains the slides that I’m going to use, which also are posted on our website. But this is our 7th lesson on the doctrine of salvation, otherwise called soteriology and we have been in Roman numeral five in our outline. We’ve been dealing with Roman numeral five which is God’s one condition of salvation. And I hope you picked up the fact that there’s only one condition to be saved, which is to what? Believe. And we went through what believe means and so forth.

Now once you say that people will say well wait a minute, there’s other passages that seem to teach something different. There’s a collection of passages that say a believer must repent. So last time I tried to show you how we harmonize “repent” with the word “believe.” Remember that? Repent means change of mind, which is a synonym for believe. Remember we went through all of that.

And tonight we’re getting into another controversy, what do we do with passages that talk about following Christ as Lord? And if there are passages in the Bible that call us to follow Him as Lord, how does that harmonize with the idea that we simply believe in Christ to be saved and receive a gift. So take a look, if you could, at Matthew 16, verses 24 and 25, this is what Jesus says to Peter, I believe, and the other disciples. “Then Jesus said to His disciples, ‘If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. [25] ‘For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.’” And it goes on from there.

Now you say well, wait a minute, I thought you taught us that the Bible said we must believe to be saved, in Christ, and here is a verse that adds a bunch of other things. You must deny yourself, you must take up your cross, you must follow Him, you must be willing to lose your life. And how do we harmonize that with verses like John 3:16 which make it sound as if salvation is as simple as believing in Christ. You see the tension that we’re in here. [John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”]

And really the key to the whole thing is verse 24, “Then Jesus said to His disciples,” in other words, Jesus is talking to people that are already saved, but more on that a little bit later. So sadly there is a doctrine that has become very prominent in Bible believing circles, really since around 1980 or so, and the doctrine is called Lordship salvation. Has anybody heard of this doctrine, Lordship salvation? A couple of you.

Here is Robert Lightner, he’s not a Lordship advocate but he’s defining it, and he says: “Lordship Salvation refers to the belief which says the sinner who wants to be saved must not only trust Christ as his substitute for sin, but must also surrender every area of his life to the complete control of Christ.” When he says “not only trust in Christ” but adds something else, that should raise some red flags because a couple of lessons ago we taught very clearly (based on about 200 passages) that people are saved by faith alone. Lordship salvation says you’re not saved by faith alone; faith is great but it also must be accompanied by something else, a surrender of some kind. Probably the biggest proponent of Lordship salvation today in our world and particularly in our church world is a very popular teacher by the name of John MacArthur and he wrote a book about this called The Gospel According to Jesus, and let me read to you an excerpt from this book.

He says, “Eternal life is indeed a free gift (Romans 6:23). Salvation cannot be earned with good deeds or purchased with money. It has already been bought by Christ, who paid the ransom with His blood.” Now if he had just stopped the sentence there I would say Amen, but notice this conjunction, “But,” see, whenever someone says you’re “saved by faith alone but” then it’s time to get nervous. So he says, “But that does not mean there is no cost,” now there he’s talking about the cost to me and you. “…there is no cost in terms of salvation’s impact on the sinner’s life. This paradox may be difficult but it is nevertheless true: salvation is both free and costly.” Well how can that be? That’s like saying jumbo shrimp, isn’t it? Those are two words that don’t go together. “Eternal life brings immediate death to self.” He quotes Romans 6:6 there, [“’Knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, that our body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.’”]

“Thus in a sense we pay,” whoa, “the ultimate price for salvation when our sinful self is nailed to a cross. It is a total abandonment of self-will, like the grain of wheat that falls to the ground and dies so that it can bear much fruit. It is an exchange of all that we are for all that Christ is. And it denotes implicit obedience, full surrender to the lordship of Christ. Nothing less can qualify as saving faith.” So it’s not just Christ paid the price and I receive it as a gift but I have to pay some kind of price. You see?

Here is another quote from John MacArthur in his book, Faith Works, he says, ““Jesus is Lord of all, and the faith He demands involves unconditional surrender…He does not bestow eternal life on those whose hearts remain set against Him.”

However here is Got Questions with something to say on the subject.

What does it mean that Jesus is Lord​

ANSWER​

Generally speaking, a lord is someone with authority, control, or power over others; to say that someone is “lord” is to consider that person a master or ruler of some kind. In Jesus’ day the word lord was often used as a title of respect toward earthly authorities; when the leper called Jesus “Lord” in Matthew 8:2, he was showing Jesus respect as a healer and teacher (see also Matthew 8:25 and 15:25).

However, after the resurrection, the title “Lord,” as applied to Jesus, became much more than a title of honor or respect. Saying, “Jesus is Lord,” became a way of declaring Jesus’ deity. It began with Thomas’ exclamation when Jesus appeared to the disciples after His resurrection: “Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” (John 20:28). From then on, the apostles’ message was that Jesus is Lord, meaning “Jesus is God.” Peter’s sermon on the Day of Pentecost contained that theme: “Let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah” (Acts 2:36). Later, in Cornelius’s house, Peter declared that Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36). Note how in Romans 10:9 Jesus’ lordship is linked to His resurrection: “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”

The statement “Jesus is Lord” means that Jesus is God. Jesus has “all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18). He is Lord of the Sabbath (Luke 6:5). He is “our only Sovereign and Lord” (Jude 1:4). He is, in fact, the Lord of lords (Revelation 17:14).

Jesus referred to Himself as “Lord” many times (e.g., Luke 19:31; John 13:13). And when we compare the Old Testament with the New, we find several times when the “LORD” (Yahweh) of the Hebrew Bible is equated with the “Lord Jesus” by the apostles. For example, Psalm 34:8 says, “Taste and see that the LORD is good,” and that passage is alluded to in 1 Peter 2:3, except there Jesus is the “Lord” who is good. Isaiah 8:13 says that “the LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy”; in 1 Peter 3:15 we are commanded, “In your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy” (ESV).

Amazingly, the Lord Jesus left His exalted position in heaven and came to earth to save us. In His Incarnation, He showed us what true meekness looks like (see Matthew 11:29). Just before His arrest, Jesus used His power and authority to teach us humility: “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet” (John 13:14). The last will be first, according to our Lord (Matthew 19:30).

In saying, “Jesus is Lord,” we commit ourselves to obey Him. Jesus asked, “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” (Luke 6:46). An acknowledgement of Jesus’ lordship is logically accompanied by a submission to Jesus’ authority. If Jesus is Lord, then He owns us; He has the right to tell us what to do.

A person who says, “Jesus is Lord,” with a full understanding of what that means (Jesus is God and has supreme authority over all things) has been divinely enlightened: “No one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit” (1 Corinthians 12:3). Faith in the Lord Jesus is required for salvation (Acts 16:31).

Jesus is Lord. It’s the truth, whether or not people acknowledge the fact. He is more than the Messiah, more than the Savior; He is the Lord of all. Someday, all will submit to that truth: “God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9–11).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Moody Handbook of Theology by Paul Enns

Since LORD is who Jesus actually is, it is impossible to believe on him for salvation but reject Him as LORD. Attempting to do so is ludicrous since that is to not believe who He actually is. Imagine standing before the Lord of Glory and saying I will not repent and I will not allow You to rule and reign over me, I will not obey but save me anyway.

True, but Lordship Salvation says if Jesus isn't Lord of everything, He's not Lord of anything and therefore no salvation. That's impossible, I'd argue prideful, and completely ignores God's mercy and the process of sanctification. I don't think it's at all the same thing as recognizing Jesus as Lord.

To me it seems that is a subject that causes unnecesarry conflict.

If one tries to achieve their salvation by works, they will without a doubt fail,
but if one thinks they can sit on their hands because all is done for them, they're missing the boat too.

So, I agree with both posts of @Andy C and @Kem

Jesus is Lord of all, and we need to listen to Him and obey His commands. (John 15:14)
But not to achieve our salvation, but from the bottom of our thankful heart for our salvation.

Not at all. But we come to him out of His grace and don't have to clean ourselves up first. He'll work that in us over time. LS proponents put the cart before the horse and get the order of things wrong. They also completely miss the fact that there is such a thing as a carnal Christian... look at Paul's letters to the Corinthian saints. To a true LS believer, those would be sacrilege.

Not at all. But we come to him out of His grace and don't have to clean ourselves up first. He'll work that in us over time.
Whole heart agreement with this!! The issue may be in those who have actually never read John McArthur's book but want to put words in his mouth. I've read the book twice and still do not see anywhere that he says we must obey or clean ourselves up first. Also the very term Lordship Salvation as something to be rejected bothers me greatly. Jesus is Lord and we must receive Him as such. We can not receive Him as anything less than He actually is.

And also this from Got Questions:
The doctrine of lordship salvation teaches that submitting to Christ as Lord goes hand-in-hand with trusting in Christ as Savior. Lordship salvation is the opposite of what is sometimes called easy-believism or the teaching that salvation comes through an acknowledgement of a certain set of facts.

hqdefault.jpg

John MacArthur, whose book The Gospel According to Jesus lays out the case for lordship salvation, summarizes the teaching this way: “The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority.” In other words, a sinner who refuses to repent is not saved, for he cannot cling to his sin and the Savior at the same time. And a sinner who rejects Christ’s authority in his life does not have saving faith, for true faith encompasses a surrender to God. Thus, the gospel requires more than making an intellectual decision or mouthing a prayer. The sheep will follow their Shepherd in submissive obedience.

Advocates of lordship salvation point to Jesus’ repeated warnings to the religious hypocrites of His day as proof that simply agreeing to spiritual facts does not save a person. There must be a heart change. Jesus emphasized the high cost of discipleship: “Whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:27), and “Those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples” (verse 33). In the same passage, Jesus speaks of counting the cost; elsewhere, He stresses total commitment: “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:62).

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says that eternal life is a narrow path found by “only a few” (Matthew 7:14); in contrast, easy-believism seeks to broaden the path so that anyone who has a profession of faith can enter. Jesus says that “every good tree bears good fruit” (verse 17); in contrast, easy-believism says that a tree can still be good and bear nothing but bad fruit. Jesus says that many who say “Lord, Lord” will not enter the kingdom (verses 21–23); in contrast, easy-believism teaches that saying “Lord, Lord” is good enough.

Lordship salvation teaches that a true profession of faith will be backed up by evidence of faith. If a person is truly following the Lord, then he or she will obey the Lord’s instructions. A person who is living in willful, unrepentant sin has obviously not chosen to follow Christ, because Christ calls us out of sin and into righteousness. Indeed, the Bible clearly teaches that faith in Christ will result in a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:22–23; James 2:14–26).

Lordship salvation is not a salvation-by-works doctrine. Advocates of lordship salvation are careful to say that salvation is by grace alone, that believers are saved before their faith ever produces any good works, and that Christians can and do sin. However, true salvation will inevitably lead to a changed life. The saved will be dedicated to their Savior. A true Christian will not feel comfortable living in unconfessed, unforsaken sin.

Here are nine teachings that set lordship salvation apart from easy-believism:

1) Repentance is not a simple synonym for faith. Scripture teaches that sinners must exercise faith in conjunction with repentance (Acts 2:38; 17:30; 20:21; 2 Peter 3:9). Repentance is a change of mind from embrace of sin and rejection of Christ to a rejection of sin and an embrace of Christ (Acts 3:19; Luke 24:47), and even this is a gift of God (2 Timothy 2:25). Genuine repentance, which comes when a person submits to the lordship of Christ, cannot help but result in a change of behavior (Luke 3:8; Acts 26:18–20).

2) A Christian is a new creation and cannot just “stop believing” and lose salvation. Faith itself is a gift of God (Ephesians 2:1–5, 8), and real faith endures forever (Philippians 1:6). Salvation is all God’s work, not man’s. Those who believe in Christ as Lord are saved apart from any effort of their own (Titus 3:5).

3) The object of faith is Christ Himself, not a promise, a prayer, or a creed (John 3:16). Faith must involve a personal commitment to Christ (2 Corinthians 5:15). It is more than being convinced of the truth of the gospel; it is a forsaking of this world and a following of the Master. The Lord Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27).

4) True faith always produces a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17). The inner person is transformed by the Holy Spirit (Galatians 2:20), and the Christian has a new nature (Romans 6:6). Those with genuine faith—those who are submitted to the lordship of Christ—follow Jesus (John 10:27), love their brothers (1 John 3:14), obey God’s commandments (1 John 2:3; John 15:14), do the will of God (Matthew 12:50), abide in God’s Word (John 8:31), keep God’s Word (John 17:6), do good works (Ephesians 2:10), and continue in the faith (Colossians 1:21–23; Hebrews 3:14). Salvation is not adding Jesus to the pantheon of one’s idols; it is a wholesale destruction of the idols with Jesus reigning supreme.

5) God’s “divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life” (2 Peter 1:3; cf. Romans 8:32). Salvation, then, is not just a ticket to heaven. It is the means by which we are sanctified (practically) in this life and by which we grow in grace.

6) Scripture teaches that Jesus is Lord of all. Christ demands unconditional surrender to His will (Romans 6:17–18; 10:9–10). Those who live in rebellion to God’s will do not have eternal life, for “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble” (James 4:6).

7) Those who truly believe in Christ will love Him (1 Peter 1:8–9; Romans 8:28–30; 1 Corinthians 16:22). And those we love we long to please (John 14:15, 23).

8) Scripture teaches that behavior is an important test of faith. Obedience is evidence that one’s faith is genuine (1 John 2:3). If a person remains unwilling to obey Christ, he provides evidence that his “faith” is in name only (1 John 2:4). A person may claim Jesus as Savior and pretend to obey for a while, but, if there is no heart change, his true nature will eventually manifest itself. This was the case for Judas Iscariot.

9) Genuine believers may stumble and fall, but they will persevere in the faith (1 Corinthians 1:8). This was the case for Simon Peter. A “believer” who completely turns away from the Lord, never to return, plainly shows that he was never born again to begin with (1 John 2:19). This was the case for Judas Iscariot (see John 6:70).

A person who has been delivered from sin by faith in Christ should not desire to remain in a life of sin (Romans 6:2). Of course, spiritual growth can occur quickly or slowly, depending on the person and his circumstances. And the changes may not be evident to everyone at first. Ultimately, God knows who are His sheep, and He will mature each of us according to His perfect time table.

Is it possible to be a Christian and live in lifelong carnality, enjoying the pleasures of sin, and never seeking to glorify the Lord who bought him? Can a sinner spurn the lordship of Christ yet lay claim to Him as Savior? Can someone pray a “sinner’s prayer” and go about his life as if nothing had happened and still call himself a “Christian”? Lordship salvation says “no.” Let us not give unrepentant sinners false hope; rather, let us declare the whole counsel of God: “You must be born again” (John 3:7).

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

This paragraph should be carefully read and contains the bottom line:
"Lordship salvation is not a salvation-by-works doctrine. Advocates of lordship salvation are careful to say that salvation is by grace alone, that believers are saved before their faith ever produces any good works, and that Christians can and do sin. However, true salvation will inevitably lead to a changed life. The saved will be dedicated to their Savior. A true Christian will not feel comfortable living in unconfessed, unforsaken sin."

Well I would just like to say that when I was first saved, I was in an abusive marriage. So all of my focus was on my ex husband, being a victim and everything he did wrong to me. And so the moment I believed and was saved, my individual sins did not enter my mind one time. Not once did I think about my drinking, self-centeredness, cussing, etc etc etc. What did happen is that I suddenly realized that Jesus died on the cross for me PERSONALLY. As I realized this, and realized how Good He is, I suddenly felt rotten. Again, it was feeling like a rotten person in general. Later that day I prayed and received Him but did not “repent of my sins” since again, I was very much in a victim role. I went on to a very rocky walk where I was still in the abusive marriage and did not go to church. I continued to sin as before and worse. It took several years until I came to a point where I had to hit bottom and I knew that the Lord was waiting right there for me. He never left me the entire time. That is where my life finally began to change and I began reading a Bible study of John 15 and found myself praying prayers such as “give me the desire to be obedient to you. I want to desire to abide in you. Give me the desire to follow you” Shortly after that I began going to church, God through the power of Holy Spirit filled me with the strength and power to leave my abusive husband, and I haven’t been the same since.

There is also a ministry called the Rainbow Redemption Project on YouTube, run by the sweetest former trans young lady (her voice is still deep from the testosterone.) Her mission is to get trans people saved and reverse their transition. Her testimony is beautiful and one thing that really stuck with me was the moment she was saved. She confessed her belief but then prayed “but I just can’t be a girl yet.” Now imagine what would have happened to her if people told her she wasn’t really saved just because she couldn’t fathom being a girl yet. It’s possible we would have lost her to the world and she wouldn’t have this beautiful ministry now.

We just don’t know who is actually saved and who isn’t. And there are many who now call him “Lord” who He will sadly say to them, I never knew you.

Here is a two part teaching that was posted in a thread of mine a few months ago and it is EXCELLENT and very much worth your time. Because it is a slam dunk about repentance and how it has nothing to do with leaving your sins! It is an unfortunate mis-translation and Misunderstanding of that word “repentance” that has resulted in wrong preaching about it.
@Kem please take some time to watch this.
I promise that it doesn’t take away anything from the fact that Jesus Christ is The LORD.

I would also like to say that after over 25 years of being a Christian, I still to this day am learning growing and receiving revelation through the Word of what it really means that Jesus Christ is the LORD. We believe it and we say it but I don’t think we will ever “get” the fullness of that until we see Him face to face and find ourselves (finally!) just like Him.
So how can we possibly expect a new believer to have a proper grasp and perspective on this concept? Peter said “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God” and that’s all he could stammer out at that time. Jesus replied that on that rock the whole church would be built.

I have no idea who actually coined the term Lordship Salvation and then proceeded to give it the meaning of a salvation earned by works. Whoever coined it and defined it then attributed it to Dr. John MacArthur was setting up a straw man argument since his book The Gospel According to Jesus did not ever say or suggest that salvation could be earned by works. Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, never earned by works.
What I would agree with is what Dr. MacArthur actually said which is that salvation will always (not instantly) and in fact slowly in many cases, cause the saved person to long to be more like Jesus and to become more obedient.

See, when you say you have to repent (turn, and that's not what repent is anyway) of your sins, according to them, that means you turn. It doesn't mean you quarter turn or half turn, it means you turn. And if you didn't turn, you did something else. And they love to say, "I stumble", because let's face it, that language soft peddles sin. No, you sinned. You asserted your will over God's, and you missed the mark.

So, did you fully surrender? Did you turn from your sins? Ray Comfort's voice: Did ya rapeent o' yah seens?!?! Do you have to repent on a moment-by-moment basis? Was Jesus Lord of your life when you sinned? Is Jesus being Lord of your life akin to a salvific light switch? He's Lord when you don't sin (you are still sinning even when you think you don't) but not Lord of your life when you do? I wonder if He gets whiplash from whisking around the bowls of false gospels?

Christ's finished work alone and it isn't up for debate. I'll break fellowship with anyone, right down to my own blood if they promote a false gospel. That's one part in my life that I don't give an inch on. And I don't care how righteous John Macathur thinks he is, he's definitely not an angel from heaven and even they were to be accursed for promoting a false gospel. He surely doesn't get a pass.

And that brings a very dark, very true, and very sobering fact to light. We aren't all going to make it. There will be many of us there that you would have never dreamed of walking the streets of gold, and many more than you thought were going to, yet wind up quarantined, sitting in a dark room with no doors, instead. I'm glad I trust in what Christ actually did: His full, remedial, finished, Tetelestai work as He hung dishonored, disfigured, and dismantled on the cross of human death and terror. Not the doctrines of John Macarthur, or the hideous John Calvin or frankly, anyone else.

Christ will take me to Heaven on eagles' wings because of what He did, not because of what I do. And that's nonnegotiable in this house. I'd sooner break bread with a hardened sinner than I would some fake Christian who blasphemes the cross.

Back