What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jehovah Witness’s New World Translation

The JW's so-called New World Translation is not a true translation at all, but an attempt to change the text of the Bible to align with their beliefs.

Ed Decker has summarized their errors in a solidly-researched article on his website (Jehovah’s Witnesses – Saints Alive In Jesus Ministry). Here is an excerpt:

What does the Organization and Watchtower Magazine teach that is in conflict with Orthodox Christianity?​
1. That Jesus is a created being/a creature.​
2. That Jesus is actually Michael the Archangel​
3. That Jesus was not resurrected bodily, but as a spirit being.​
4. That Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 (secretly to the Organization)​
5. That Jesus was only a man when on earth, not the Word Become flesh.​
6. That the Holy Spirit is only an active force, not the person of God.​
7. That Hell is simply the grave.​
7. That Heaven’s doors is open to only 144,000.​
8. That the majority of Witnesses must remain on earth.​
9. That salvation is found only through the Organization.​
10. That it must be maintained by energetic works for the Organization until the end when one may merit eternal life on a paradise earth.​
11. That Satan is the author of the doctrine of the Trinity.​
12. That Jesus cannot be given worship, but only honor as Jehovah’s first creation.​
The Jehovah’s Witnesses do not believe or teach some of the very basic tenets of Christian doctrine. They deny:​
1. The Trinity.​
2. The Omnipresence of God.​
3. The Deity of Christ.​
4. The dual nature of Christ.​
5. The bodily resurrection of Christ.​
6. The visible return of Christ.​
7. The person of God the Holy Spirit.​
8. The Promise of Heaven to all believers.​
9. The necessity of the New Birth for all believers.​
10. The Lord’s Supper for all believers. (only for the 144,0000).​
11. The Eternal Security of the believer.​
12. The conscious Eternal Punishment of the lost.​

Yet, despite their best efforts, the truth of God's Word and the error of JW beliefs can still be found in their own version of the bible, because by changing the text they have introduced contradictions into it. I have gone into this in detail in other social media posts over the years. Ed does an excellent job in his books and on his website. In fact I highly recommend his Saints Alive website (Saints Alive In Jesus Ministry – The Ministry of Ed Decker) for research on the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism (and Freemasonry from which it stems), and Islam, as well as a number of other topics.

. The Trinity.2. The Omnipresence of God.3. The Deity of Christ.4. The dual nature of Christ.5. The bodily resurrection of Christ. 6. The visible return of Christ.7. The person of God the Holy Spirit.8. The Promise of Heaven to all believers.9. The necessity of the New Birth for all believers.10. The Lord’s Supper for all believers. (only for the 144,0000).11. The Eternal Security of the believer.12. The conscious Eternal Punishment of the lost.

I just went round and round with a couple of JWs in the driveway for half an hour this morning. I don't know why I waste my time, but I can never resist when they knock. Very nice fellows, but seriously mislead/just plain wrong about so much.

It started off well, talking about current events and the trajectory of the world, Nebuchadnezzar's dream, the stone cut without human hands smashing the statue, and there being no end to the increase of Jesus' coming Kingdom. We could agree on that, and how wonderful the Kingdom will be, then we started going off the rails when I talked about Jesus reigning from Jerusalem on-the-earth, they thought He would rule from Heaven with the 144,000.

They lost me when we couldn't agree on the basics of putting our faith solely in Jesus' sacrifice for salvation and entrance to Heaven. It got worse when neither of them believed they were going to Heaven, but would live forever on the earth. We got onto the GWT judgment and the resurrection, and the fact they don't believe those who reject Christ will be aware and suffering in hell for eternity came up. I reminded them of the rich man who died and was in hell asking for a drop of water, but they do not take that literally, it's just a story about not being greedy and caring for others! That got us to talking about how we interpret the Bible, they don't have a literal, grammatic, historic approach.

I had to respectfully decline to set up a later meeting for a more in-depth study, although I considered it. Maybe some of what I got to say will get them thinking.

We're probably both left wondering how the other could have such poor reading comprehension! :lol:

Yes, arguing with them is like trying to pin Bill Clinton down as to whether he did something improper in the White House with Monica Lewinsky. "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is."

JW's are emphatic that God alone is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last. But when faced with Revelation 1:18 where Jesus plainly says that He is the First and the Last, they ignore the narrative of the verses that precede that statement. Rather than accepting that the voice behind John who claims to be the Alpha and Omega (which they say is clearly Jehovah) is Jesus, they claim it was Jehovah but when John "turned around to see who was speaking" they say he could not see Jehovah, he could only see Jesus. And when Jesus said, "I am the first and the last", they say he was speaking of the fact that He was the first of Jehovah's creation and will be the last to be standing after everything else is judged and dealt with. But it does not mean Jesus was saying He is the First and the Last. :doh: It's like trying to pin Jello to the wall.

A great resource for anyone who ever has had to deal with JW's is this article: JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES ARE CONFUSED ABOUT WHO IS SPEAKING IN REVELATION 1:8 Absorb the simple info it contains and you will tie JW's into knots.

I posted this on Facebook which my sister's kids and grand kids are members of in hope that some of them read it.

What Are the Warning Signs of a Cult?
https://www.biblestudytools.com/.../what-are-the-warning...

• Following a leader with unquestioning faith and allegiance
  • A belief that the group exclusively holds the truth, therefore there is zero tolerance and interaction with those outside the group
  • Isolation of members
  • Severe penalties for leaving the group
  • An emphasis on a special belief or doctrine viewed as strange by others
  • An “us vs. them” mentality, often using persecution of the group as evidence of its truthfulness
  • The use of fear and intimidation to keep you in the group
  • What happens if I disagree with the leaders?
  • How do I respond if an “outsider” criticizes one of our leaders?
  • Are there different sets of “rules” for the leader, and another set for “members”?
  • Who is the leader answerable to? Is there accountability?
  • What would happen if you tried to leave the group?
  • Do they welcome independent thought? Do they believe I can think for myself?
  • Have I lost several friendships since joining this group? Am I being isolated?
  • Am I able to read outside literature?
Are you in a cult?

My mom got me involved in the JW organization. I was very young, 18. I bought into the doctrines and was blind for 11 years.

I can't bring myself to say what made me leave, but I can say I am thankful God extended His Grace to me to draw me to His Son Jesus and he saved.

When I was saved and studied scripture and did a lot of research I began to understand why JW is a cult. They don't even refer themselves as Christians, but only identify with Jehovah and their history began as Bible students and didn't adopt the name JW until sometime in the 1960's I believe and the reason for that name is that they take it from the verse

“You are My witnesses,” says the LORD, “ Isaiah 43:10

What is behind choosing their name based on this verse is that they believe that they are the "spiritual Israel". They believe in Replacement theology.

What freaked me out was when I was putting some facts together as I got more familiar with Bible prophecy and certain things around it was when I began to learn about the coming Beast system. I learned about the things once called conspiracy theories and later wasn't being denied anymore.
To hear a term used by globalists lit up a lightbulb in my head because I heard the term continuously while I was in the JW organization.

"The New World Order".

JW's use that very term for their coming kingdom. And the globalists going back to the founding of Freemasonry and other elite organizations also use the term New World Order.

Thus why the Society called their Bible "The New World" Translation.

That was freaky to connect the two.
I recently heard a Bible study by Pastor Billy Crone on Freemasonry and he pointed out that the founder of JW
Charles Taze Russell was actually a Freemason before starting up his Bible study groups that later became the larger organization of JW of The Watchtower Society.

Very interesting history. I bet the average JW has no idea what the background of that cult is either. I sure didn't, I'm just blessed that I am not in that anymore. God is Good.

Here is a really good video where this guy quotes scripture from the JW New World Translation of the Bible where it shows.
  1. Jesus is the one who will judge us.
  2. Jesus is the one who will reward us.
  3. Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last.

Here is the video

This guy has just so many questions for and answers to the Jehovah’s Witnesses straight from the Bible. The Video is around 28 minutes long and if you watch it you will want to be able to take notes. I guess if you have time, you could just watch it at first and then watch it again and take notes.

If you know of a Jehovah’s Witness that is willing to have a discussion with you, watching this video is an absolute must! 👍

This is by far the best I have read, heard or seen on how the Jehovah’s Witnesses have changed their Bible.

Who Was Jesus Before He Became a Man?

All scripture I quote is from the Jehovah’s Witnesses New World Translation of the Bible.

What do the Jehovah’s Witnesses believe.
The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was Michael the archangel before he became human. Where do they get that from? Well they get that from 1 Thessalonians 4:16 below.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 because the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first.

What do almost all other Christian religions believe?
Other Christian religions believe that Jesus was the Word before he became human.
Where do they get that from? Well they get that from John 1:1 and John 1:14 below.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
John 1:14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favor and truth.

So we now see where Jehovah’s Witnesses get their answer from and where other Christian religions get their answer from. Is there any other clues we can use to support either view? Yes there is because we know how Mary got pregnant based on Matthew 1:18 below.

Matthew 1:18 But this is how the birth of Jesus Christ took place. During the time his mother Mary was promised in marriage to Joseph, she was found to be pregnant by holy spirit before they were united.

So with this additional information let us review.
The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was Michael the archangel before he became human but the Virgin Mary was impregnated by the Holy Spirit. So based on this, they believe that Jesus is a product of Michael the archangel, The Holy Spirit and Mary.

Most other Christian religions believe that God is three persons in one and the person of the Holy Spirit caused Mary to be impregnated with the Word. So if God is one, that means Jesus was a product of God and Mary creating the God/man Jesus to be born who God calls his only begotten son as per John 3:16 below.

John 3:16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

My question is, how can Jesus be God’s only begotten son if he originated from Michael the archangel? If Jesus originated from God as other Christian religions believe, then it makes perfect sense.

Goodboy! 😊

Who Was Jesus Before He Became a Man?

All scripture I quote is from the Jehovah’s Witnesses New World Translation of the Bible.

What do the Jehovah’s Witnesses believe.
The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was Michael the archangel before he became human. Where do they get that from? Well they get that from 1 Thessalonians 4:16 below.

1 Thessalonians 4:16 because the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first.

What do almost all other Christian religions believe?
Other Christian religions believe that Jesus was the Word before he became human.
Where do they get that from? Well they get that from John 1:1 and John 1:14 below.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
John 1:14 So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favor and truth.

So we now see where Jehovah’s Witnesses get their answer from and where other Christian religions get their answer from. Is there any other clues we can use to support either view? Yes there is because we know how Mary got pregnant based on Matthew 1:18 below.

Matthew 1:18 But this is how the birth of Jesus Christ took place. During the time his mother Mary was promised in marriage to Joseph, she was found to be pregnant by holy spirit before they were united.

So with this additional information let us review.
The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Jesus was Michael the archangel before he became human but the Virgin Mary was impregnated by the Holy Spirit. So based on this, they believe that Jesus is a product of Michael the archangel, The Holy Spirit and Mary.

Most other Christian religions believe that God is three persons in one and the person of the Holy Spirit caused Mary to be impregnated with the Word. So if God is one, that means Jesus was a product of God and Mary creating the God/man Jesus to be born who God calls his only begotten son as per John 3:16 below.

John 3:16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

My question is, how can Jesus be God’s only begotten son if he originated from Michael the archangel? If Jesus originated from God as other Christian religions believe, then it makes perfect sense.

Goodboy! 😊
They have no answer to how Jesus could have been Michael the Archangel when you present Hebrews chapter one where it's speaking about Jesus as The Only Begotten Son of God , note specifically verse 5

For to which of the angels did He ever say: “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You”? And again: “I will be to Him a Father, And He shall be to Me a Son”?

No. Jesus could not have been Michael the Archangel

They have no answer to how Jesus could have been Michael the Archangel when you present Hebrews chapter one where it's speaking about Jesus as The Only Begotten Son of God , note specifically verse 5

For to which of the angels did He ever say: “You are My Son, Today I have begotten You”? And again: “I will be to Him a Father, And He shall be to Me a Son”?

No. Jesus could not have been Michael the Archangel
Excellent!!! I love it!!! 😍
Thanks for posting that!!!
👍

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
Hebrews 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
Hebrews 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
Hebrews 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
Hebrews 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Hebrews 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
Hebrews 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

Hebrews 1:11 They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment;
Hebrews 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.
Hebrews 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

I will say something about them that really hurts them.
No JW will be encouraged to do any Bible study of their own.

All of their "Bible study" is out of written books from the watchtower society which they call "study aids", and they are told not to use any Bible but their own claiming that their Bible is out of the "original manuscripts" of the OT and NT. Not true. No one is to even compare their NWT with any other Bible translation.

But interesting enough The Society does use various translations of the Bible because they have to know how to respond to anyone challenging their doctrine and how to write their books so it's convincing to those who read them. Very clever how they keep their congregations in the dark.

Because they only use their own written books and they use scriptures only out of the NWT, those studying their doctrine believe it and don't know anything other than what they're taught. In reality all of them are biblically illiterate and don't really know the Bible. All they know is whatever comes out of the Watchtower Society. Their false doctrine and the children only know Bible stories of certain characters in the Bible.

Every Sunday sermon given is topical and based on the doctrine of JW's. Their "Theocratic Ministry School" that every JW has to participate in is a teaching tool used to teach how to present and defend their false doctrines.

As I presented Hebrews chapter one, that stumps most JW because they never study the Bible itself, as we know scripture interprets scripture. They are only quick to turn to scriptures memorized pertaining to only their religious doctrine from the books the Watchtower Society have written.

If you present something they don't know they will tell you, let me research that and I will get back to you, but they go to the written books from the society alone for the answers.

They have their own concordance and even their own Greek interlinear Bible. All rewritten to correspond with the NWT Bible.

It's very sad how deceived they are.

Another thing I don't know if you know this but They believe Jesus is already here. They think Jesus second coming occurred in 1914 and He returned in an "invisible presence" and that's when the last days began, according to their doctrine. Shake my head.

I will say something about them that really hurts them.
No JW will be encouraged to do any Bible study of their own.
Yeah I am very aware of most of what they do, but I do like all that you have stated. My sister and her whole tribe of over 20 people in her family if you count grand kids and spouses are JW's. I once tried to open the eyes of my nephew who surprising agreed to discus the topic of Christianity with me. He lives 5 hours away, so we were utilizing E-Mail to make our points. At first it was a daily back and fourth. Then it went to weekly. Then it went to monthly and I realized it was not really him that was responding and the harder my questions the longer it was taking for him to respond. Finally he just stopped responding and I guess the person that was really responding, gave up.

So here is what I found. They think it is OK to be dishonest if it is in the name of the organization. Sad! 😥

This below is out of the Blue Letter Bible study guide for Hebrews 1. Take note of verses 8-12 of chapter one. God The Father refers to His Son as God and Lord.....

3. (Hebrews 1:8-12) Jesus is superior to the angels because the Father Himself calls Him (and not any angel) God and LORD (Yahweh), as shown in Psalm 45:6-7 and 102:25-27 from the Septuagint.

But to the Son He says:

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

And:

“You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
They will perish, but You remain;
And they will all grow old like a garment;
Like a cloak You will fold them up,
And they will be changed.
But You are the same,
And Your years will not fail.”

a. But to the Son He says: Again, the emphasis is that God the Father says things to God the Son that are never said to angelic beings.

b. Your throne, O God: Psalm 45:6-7 plainly says that God the Father calls the Son God. When the First Person of the Trinity spoke to the Second Person of the Trinity, He called Him God. This is unique and powerful evidence of the deity of Jesus.

i. Some argue that there are many beings called “gods” in the Bible such as Satan (2 Corinthians 4:4) and earthly judges (Psalm 82:1 and 6). But these others are supposed gods, pretenders to their throne. If Jesus is not the true God, He is a false god, like Satan and the wicked judges of Psalm 82.

ii. But Jesus is the True and Living God, called so here by God the Father; and also by John in John 1:1, by Thomas in John 20:28, and by Paul in Titus 2:13 and Titus 3:4.

c. Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You: This passage shows striking interaction between the Persons of the Trinity. “God, Your God” speaks of the Father and His position of authority over the Second Person of the Trinity. “You” refers to the Son. “Anointed” has in mind the ministry and presence of the Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Trinity.

d. You, LORD, in the beginning: Psalm 102:25-27 shows that the Son is not only called God, but also LORD (Yahweh). Then the Son is described with attributes and terms that belong only to God.

ii. They will perish, but You will remain: This shows that Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity is self-existent, even as Psalm 102:25-27 says this of Yahweh.

iv. You are the same: This shows that Jesus Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity is immutable, unchanging, and eternal (Your years will not fail). Psalm 102:25-27 says this of Yahweh and the writer to the Hebrews says that it clearly applies to Jesus as well.

The Name of Jesus

Taken from the Jehovah’s Witnesses New World Translation of the Bible.

Acts 4:10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·reneʹ, whom you executed on a stake but whom God raised up from the dead, by means of him this man stands here healthy in front of you.
Acts 4:11 This is ‘the stone that was treated by you builders as of no account that has become the chief cornerstone.’
Acts 4:12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.

Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.

How do the Jehovah’s Witnesses explain Acts 4:12 with Romans 10:13 in their Bible which all of these verses I listed were taken from? 🤔

And they have NO excuse in the JW leadership b/c the non-JW world of Bible based Christians doesn't believe for a second that they cannot read or comprehend. They will be held in account in no less manner that everyone else that doesn't bend the knee to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords before dying.

And they have NO excuse in the JW leadership b/c the non-JW world of Bible based Christians doesn't believe for a second that they cannot read or comprehend. They will be held in account in no less manner that everyone else that doesn't bend the knee to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords before dying.
To be honest, because I was in there at one time, I know that the vast majority of the people under the Organization called the congregation of JW do not know what the Bible really says.

Most are completely dependent on what comes from the Watchtower Society for their teachings and 100% believe what they say and never search the scriptures for themselves as we are told to do following the example of the Bereans and to "test the spirits".

It's definitely a Cult. The method of teaching that is led by the organization is likened to brainwashing. Seriously. The people are not encouraged nor permitted to have a mind of their own to do their own research to see if they're being taught accurately.

They call their religion The Truth. The way they are taught is by using scripture but Only from their New World Translation.
They convince their Bible students that every Bible translation is false and unreliable.

Within the training of the new students they are crafty in how they mingle within the Bible study a spirit of fear. The fear of complete annihilation by Jehovah of they even seek outside teachings is Apostasy and merits annihilation from Jehovah.

Included in the new Bible study throughout the tenior of studying the fear is instilled in the student that is a repercussion from leaving the religion and put the fear into them not to dare leave the religion or they're doomed. Because they don't believe in Hell, they paint a picture of an angry God that will punish them not for leaving God but for leaving the cult.
Once labeled an Apostate there's no turning back because you are doomed and there's no forgiveness for Apostasy, which we know is not biblical. The Only unforgivable sin is sinning against The Holy Spirit, turning your back on The Lord's Grace and not repenting, not leaving a religion.

It's hard to convince a JW that their religion is wrong because of the method used to brainwash the new comers.
The good news is that while it's hard, it Can be done.
It's a matter of deprogramming with The Bible and because much of what's in most Bible translations is in the New World Translation even though they may change a word or phrase, they can't take out the context nor the fact that scripture interprets scripture and when Jesus knows His Sheep The Holy Spirit gives the real truth to anyone who is seeking God and Truth.

Back