What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is faith?

mattfivefour

Admin/Pastor
Staff member
Standing firm when the only "evidence" you have is the Word of God and the only belief that you have is that it is true is the epitome of faith. God brings us through circumstances to strengthen our faith. (It is not to give us faith since He has already done that.) The faith that He has given us is like a muscle that must be used and applied against ever-increasing weight if it is to be built up and develop its strength. And He supplies that weight. It is not something we can do. We cannot say one day that I am going to use my faith to do this or that. But God, in His omniscience, will one day place circumstances around us that will force us to use that muscle if we are to remain standing. And sometimes we remain standing by losing all hope in ourselves, finding no measure of strength, but only a deep, deep, bottomless well of bitter tears that we pour out in utter, total helplessness before our God.

Yet I can tell you that when you are standing, seemingly with nothing but your faith, Jesus Christ is praying for you, interceding that you might stand. Remember when the Father revealed to Him that Satan had sought to sift Peter like wheat (Luke 22:31)? Jesus did not say that Satan was rebuked. No. It is apparent from what subsequently transpired right through until the crucifixion that Satan was indeed allowed to "sift" Peter. But what did Jesus say after revealing this to Peter? "but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail…" (Luke 22:32a) And how efficacious are the prayers and intercessions of Jesus? Well, He then went on to say "…and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." (Luke 22:32b) Not, "IF you have turned again" but "WHEN you have turned again!" When! With God there are no ifs, there are only whens. God could look at a still flawed Jacob and call him Israel (prince of God); He could look at a frightened Gideon cowering by an olive press in fear of the Midianites and call him "thou mighty man of God". God always sees the end; He sees those things that are not and calls them as though they are (Romans 4:17). Indeed, He who dwells in the unapproachable light of His own perfection always sees His will fulfilled, His glory exalted.

And we poor mortal flesh, stewed in our own sinful natures, unable to cleanse ourselves, us He has lifted, us He has cleansed, us He has placed into communion with Himself, us He has given His exceedingly precious promises, us He has provided not only a Comforter, a Teacher, a Purifier and a Guide who dwells within us(the Holy Spirit) but has also provided an Intercessor (Jesus) who ever lives to intercede for us before His (God, our Father’s) Great Throne.

So, yes, the clouds may gather, the winds may howl, the light disappear, the waves pound around our feet; we may see no brightening, no easing, no solace, no support; there may be no apparent hope to fleshly eyes; but stand firm, having on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). For He is to be trusted. He will never give you more than you can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13); He will never abandon you in your trial (Isaiah 43:2); He, though unseen, is always your support, your strength, your hope (Deuteronomy 33:27); He loves you with a love beyond all understanding (Ephesians 3:17-19); and every tear you shed He stores in a bottle (Psalm 56:8); every prayer you pray ascends like incense to His throne (Psalm 141:2; Revelation 8:4); yet He trains us up so that we may become strong and mature in Him (Hebrews 12:10) and we have the confidence that ALL things work together for good to them that love God to them that are the called, according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Indeed, faith is what He has given you and me and all else who name His name so that when sight fails we may still stand, trusting our Heavenly Father for He has spoken and His word is Truth. But that faith must be tested, strengthened and brought to maturity for God to perfect His work in us in this present life. (Ephesians 4:13-14)

Think it not strange, dear one. Do not struggle to understand. Simply stand. God is God. He is truth. He is love. He is the perfection of glory and the glory of perfection. And He WILL present you and me and, indeed, ALL of His children, faultless before His throne.

I hope this helps someone today.

Standing firm when the only "evidence" you have is the Word of God and the only belief that you have is that it is true is the epitome of faith. God brings us through circumstances to strengthen our faith. (It is not to give us faith since He has already done that.) The faith that He has given us is like a muscle that must be used and applied against ever-increasing weight if it is to be built up and develop its strength. And He supplies that weight. It is not something we can do. We cannot say one day that I am going to use my faith to do this or that. But God, in His omniscience, will one day place circumstances around us that will force us to use that muscle if we are to remain standing. And sometimes we remain standing by losing all hope in ourselves, finding no measure of strength, but only a deep, deep, bottomless well of bitter tears that we pour out in utter, total helplessness before our God.

Yet I can tell you that when you are standing, seemingly with nothing but your faith, Jesus Christ is praying for you, interceding that you might stand. Remember when the Father revealed to Him that Satan had sought to sift Peter like wheat (Luke 22:31)? Jesus did not say that Satan was rebuked. No. It is apparent from what subsequently transpired right through until the crucifixion that Satan was indeed allowed to "sift" Peter. But what did Jesus say after revealing this to Peter? "but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail…" (Luke 22:32a) And how efficacious are the prayers and intercessions of Jesus? Well, He then went on to say "…and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." (Luke 22:32b) Not, "IF you have turned again" but "WHEN you have turned again!" When! With God there are no ifs, there are only whens. God could look at a still flawed Jacob and call him Israel (prince of God); He could look at a frightened Gideon cowering by an olive press in fear of the Midianites and call him "thou mighty man of God". God always sees the end; He sees those things that are not and calls them as though they are (Romans 4:17). Indeed, He who dwells in the unapproachable light of His own perfection always sees His will fulfilled, His glory exalted.

And we poor mortal flesh, stewed in our own sinful natures, unable to cleanse ourselves, us He has lifted, us He has cleansed, us He has placed into communion with Himself, us He has given His exceedingly precious promises, us He has provided not only a Comforter, a Teacher, a Purifier and a Guide who dwells within us(the Holy Spirit) but has also provided an Intercessor (Jesus) who ever lives to intercede for us before His (God, our Father’s) Great Throne.

So, yes, the clouds may gather, the winds may howl, the light disappear, the waves pound around our feet; we may see no brightening, no easing, no solace, no support; there may be no apparent hope to fleshly eyes; but stand firm, having on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). For He is to be trusted. He will never give you more than you can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13); He will never abandon you in your trial (Isaiah 43:2); He, though unseen, is always your support, your strength, your hope (Deuteronomy 33:27); He loves you with a love beyond all understanding (Ephesians 3:17-19); and every tear you shed He stores in a bottle (Psalm 56:8); every prayer you pray ascends like incense to His throne (Psalm 141:2; Revelation 8:4); yet He trains us up so that we may become strong and mature in Him (Hebrews 12:10) and we have the confidence that ALL things work together for good to them that love God to them that are the called, according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Indeed, faith is what He has given you and me and all else who name His name so that when sight fails we may still stand, trusting our Heavenly Father for He has spoken and His word is Truth. But that faith must be tested, strengthened and brought to maturity for God to perfect His work in us in this present life. (Ephesians 4:13-14)

Think it not strange, dear one. Do not struggle to understand. Simply stand. God is God. He is truth. He is love. He is the perfection of glory and the glory of perfection. And He WILL present you and me and, indeed, ALL of His children, faultless before His throne.

I hope this helps someone today.
God always sees the end; He sees those things that are not and calls them as though they are (Romans 4:17)… thank you so much… God bless…

So, yes, the clouds may gather, the winds may howl, the light disappear, the waves pound around our feet; we may see no brightening, no easing, no solace, no support; there may be no apparent hope to fleshly eyes; but stand firm, having on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20). For He is to be trusted. He will never give you more than you can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13); He will never abandon you in your trial (Isaiah 43:2); He, though unseen, is always your support, your strength, your hope (Deuteronomy 33:27); He loves you with a love beyond all understanding (Ephesians 3:17-19); and every tear you shed He stores in a bottle (Psalm 56:8); every prayer you pray ascends like incense to His throne (Psalm 141:2; Revelation 8:4); yet He trains us up so that we may become strong and mature in Him (Hebrews 12:10) and we have the confidence that ALL things work together for good to them that love God to them that are the called, according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28
Thank you!!!!

Back