What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you had your trial yet? - Something I wrote

I don't think satan puts us through trials. I think that any chance he gets he tries to destroy us. Thankfully, we have some Spiritual protection from that one.
Yes! Satan and his minions can only be at so many places at one time. The dark one can tempt us, maybe even try and oppress us, but with the Holy Spirit in me, satan is very limited in what he can do to a believer. My own bad decisions or actions have caused most of the trials I have went through.

I think most of our trials we bring upon ourselves with poor choices/decisions/actions. None-the-less, God uses even those trials for good in our lives. And by lives, I mean from here through eternity. I can think of trials I went through that I didn't bring upon myself. God uses those for good as well.

I don't think satan puts us through trials. I think that any chance he gets he tries to destroy us. Thankfully, we have some Spiritual protection from that one.

It's helpful to remember to thank God for everything that happens in our lives, both the good and the bad. For us, He turns it all to good. It may be easier for us to understand that when we're with Him in Glory.
Yes.
We ought to always be thankful to God and Praise Him even in the midst of trials.

I must disagree that Satan doesn't cause some trials. He's ruthless and always seeking to devour someone and who else do we wrestle against but the Spirit forces in the heavenly realms.

"Be sober-minded; be watchfu. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world"
1 Peter 5:8-9

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places"
Ephesians 6:12

But yes, we do have protection.
We have the Word of God that is powerful and sharper than a double edged sword.
Jesus used scripture against Satan when tempted in the wilderness.

We resist the devil and he will flee

God will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.
1 Corinthians 10:13

This is very good. And a subject close to my heart. I think that someone can have a relatively trouble-free life and still be very close to God. I have noticed, however, that many of the things I have read about Christians who have made tremendous impacts for the Kingdom, suffered greatly in early life, or throughout their lives, or experienced a monumental trial.

I have had a few serious trials since becoming a Christian. One was a monumental trial that I don’t even know if I can ever speak about here, or even to my brethren at church. It was a very, very difficult, unspeakably painful span of years and it was my spiritual “Waterloo” so to speak. I ended up having to whittle down everything I ever believed about being a Christian, all the way down to the Cross. At times, I felt as if I was in a stormy sea of suffering, pain and sorrow, as I clung to the cross on a tiny buoy. I then started over and dug into the Word with no preconceived expectations. I grew exponentially through the trial but it will always be a painful aspect of my life…a “why?” until I meet Him face to face, and then I will no longer care. Thank God!

I also have several ridiculous chronic health issues with no answers, no cures, no treatments. The symptoms are unseen and not serious, yet just enough to meddle with my life. I suffer with fatigue from one of them, that can be debilitating if I over-extend myself. My husband is a migraine sufferer. The health issues are frustrating and very discouraging at times, because my husband and I both desperately long to serve God and make our lives count for Him. Yet, have spent so many days with either or both of us just wiped out. Times like this I hold on to the bottom line, and that is that I am IN Christ. And so even if all I can do is abide, that is everything to Him.

Things like this are where the rubber really meets the road of our faith. Things where life not only doesn’t go according to how we want, but also according to what we thought HE wants. It’s hard. And yet, there are times when we can almost sense within ourselves, that solid rock under our souls. That clinging to Him. That prostrate position before His throne. And we just know that this is where we are supposed to be. Even though our minds just don’t understand.

I really feel that so much of me just had to die, and still needs to, daily.
Why others seem to have an easy life is beyond me. I guess God’s answer to me is the same answer that Jesus gave Peter, when he asked about John…”And what about this guy?”

It has been a ministry to me to even write this.
I am Yours, my God.

This is very good. And a subject close to my heart. I think that someone can have a relatively trouble-free life and still be very close to God. I have noticed, however, that many of the things I have read about Christians who have made tremendous impacts for the Kingdom, suffered greatly in early life, or throughout their lives, or experienced a monumental trial.

I have had a few serious trials since becoming a Christian. One was a monumental trial that I don’t even know if I can ever speak about here, or even to my brethren at church. It was a very, very difficult, unspeakably painful span of years and it was my spiritual “Waterloo” so to speak. I ended up having to whittle down everything I ever believed about being a Christian, all the way down to the Cross. At times, I felt as if I was in a stormy sea of suffering, pain and sorrow, as I clung to the cross on a tiny buoy. I then started over and dug into the Word with no preconceived expectations. I grew exponentially through the trial but it will always be a painful aspect of my life…a “why?” until I meet Him face to face, and then I will no longer care. Thank God!

I also have several ridiculous chronic health issues with no answers, no cures, no treatments. The symptoms are unseen and not serious, yet just enough to meddle with my life. I suffer with fatigue from one of them, that can be debilitating if I over-extend myself. My husband is a migraine sufferer. The health issues are frustrating and very discouraging at times, because my husband and I both desperately long to serve God and make our lives count for Him. Yet, have spent so many days with either or both of us just wiped out. Times like this I hold on to the bottom line, and that is that I am IN Christ. And so even if all I can do is abide, that is everything to Him.

Things like this are where the rubber really meets the road of our faith. Things where life not only doesn’t go according to how we want, but also according to what we thought HE wants. It’s hard. And yet, there are times when we can almost sense within ourselves, that solid rock under our souls. That clinging to Him. That prostrate position before His throne. And we just know that this is where we are supposed to be. Even though our minds just don’t understand.

I really feel that so much of me just had to die, and still needs to, daily.
Why others seem to have an easy life is beyond me. I guess God’s answer to me is the same answer that Jesus gave Peter, when he asked about John…”And what about this guy?”

It has been a ministry to me to even write this.
I am Yours, my God.
Well said, and thanks for sharing this.

No matter our situation, we know He is always right there with us.

I dont agree at all of satan can or even would want us to go through trials.
I concede that satan probably isn't interested in us going through trials nor do I believe he tries us. I do suspect he endeavors to crush us/destroy us if given a chance but we have something in us so much stronger than he as to make him like less than a gnat where the rubber hits the road.

That said, if satan or his minions are able to cause problems for us, due perhaps to our opening that door, which I haven't ever done, mind you, then it would certainly seem like a trial.

Look at some Christians around the world…their lives become a living hell the moment they choose to follow Christ. I read their stories and realize my life has been a cake-walk in comparison.
I often think much of what people go through is not on either satan or God. It’s just because of where you were born, or your surroundings or your DNA. Or yes, your choices. But God takes every Believer’s life and makes it His own no matter where and who they are, and works everything for His good.

So if you haven’t gone through a trial, you might want to question whether you are a mature Christian.
Somehow, I missed this line. I fail to see the connection from this statement you made?

Reading the bible on a consistent basis, fellowship with other believers, personal relationship with Him, this is what made me a “mature” believer.

Yes, strongly agree.
I would agree that my statement of "close to God" was incorrect. That is the problem with putting what we think into words. My point was it is better that we go through trials, explaining just why it is better from the Bible is kind of hard. Selecting "close to God" was not the best way of expressing that it is better for us.

Somehow, I missed this line. I fail to see the connection from this statement you made?

Reading the bible on a consistent basis, fellowship with other believers, personal relationship with Him, this is what made me a “mature” believer.
Are you really going to examine every line of what I write? Or can you just go with my main point? Haven't all the great mature people in the Bible gone through trials? You make me not want to post anything else. If that's what you want, you will most likely get it. That's all I will say.

I would agree that my statement of "close to God" was incorrect. That is the problem with putting what we think into words. My point was it is better that we go through trials, explaining just why it is better from the Bible is kind of hard. Selecting "close to God" was not the best way of expressing that it is better for us.
Your main point was excellent, and I have studied this topic more in the last few days than ever before. Plus, all the excellent comments from other members has helped this old Marine learn, so thanks.

Are you really going to examine every line of what I write? Or can you just go with my main point? Haven't all the great mature people in the Bible gone through trials? You make me not want to post anything else. If that's what you want, you will most likely get it. That's all I will say.
Im not trying to be argumentative, just looking for further clarification on certain points. I have already posted on all, or at least most of your other threads how much I appreciate your postings/teachings.

Just like on RF, keep posting brother, you have a wealth of knowldege.

I am not sure just yet but this may be my last post. However, for those who want to understand one of the reasons why we need trials I will state the following.

I said "So if you haven’t gone through a trial, you might want to question whether you are a mature Christian."
Notice I did not say your were not a mature Christian, just that you might want to question yourself. 🤔

When we as humans think everything is going well no matter what someone says we need to change, we don't really want to accept it. It is completely logical. Why should we change if everything is going well? Well I'm sure everyone here will agree that God wants us to change for the better. Well what causes us to change for the better? When what we are doing is not working so well. This is not the only reason for trials, but it is a big one. I know that this is a major reason for the changes I have made and also for most of the great Christian testimonies I have heard.

So yes, I stand by my statement that to be a more mature Christian you most likely need to go through trials. If you don't agree, that's fine, but I am not interested in debating which I find some people seem to love to do.

God bless!
:)

I am not sure just yet but this may be my last post. However, for those who want to understand one of the reasons why we need trials I will state the following.

I said "So if you haven’t gone through a trial, you might want to question whether you are a mature Christian."
Notice I did not say your were not a mature Christian, just that you might want to question yourself. 🤔

When we as humans think everything is going well no matter what someone says we need to change, we don't really want to accept it. It is completely logical. Why should we change if everything is going well? Well I'm sure everyone here will agree that God wants us to change for the better. Well what causes us to change for the better? When what we are doing is not working so well. This is not the only reason for trials, but it is a big one. I know that this is a major reason for the changes I have made and also for most of the great Christian testimonies I have heard.

So yes, I stand by my statement that to be a more mature Christian you most likely need to go through trials. If you don't agree, that's fine, but I am not interested in debating which I find some people seem to love to do.

God bless!
:)
Looking for clarification, which you did, not looking for debate.

It would be sad for you to stop posting, you write well, and I have learned much from you over the years.

I was in the furnace for 8 years. 8 intense, hot years that I fought against the Throne, threw away (at least I thought I did) nearly all I had learned about our Lord, and watched and felt my mind and body degrade into a shell of what it was by the choices I was making. I was fit as a fiddle. Then I became destroyed, almost in a wheelchair, among many other things. My entire being short-circuited. Oh, I looked healthy, but I wasn't at all. I had no energy. My neck was broken. My muscles wasted. My mind was broken. My faith was broken. I threw up nonstop for two years and nobody knew what was going on. And on and on.

It didn't start out so bad, but with such intense rebellion, I felt every aspect of my body change. I knew His hand was on me and let me tell you, it's a hand you don't want on you in this particular context. I mean, sure, in a way I suppose you would, but feeling your flesh and your internal self be so corrected and to be pious and say I enjoyed it, I'd just be lying to you all and God already knows better, anyway. It was atrocious. I deserved every bit of it and worse.

I'm thankful every day that I still draw breath. I'm just now coming out of it all. I let go and turned into a slobbering, regretful mess on the floor and rose up anew. I get weepy just typing it. I felt a wave come over me, a wave of comfort that I haven't felt in those 8 years. That's a very long time to be in the dark, especially with the knowledge of what you used to have with God and that it is being ripped apart right before your eyes. Dreadful. Now, for the first time in a very long time, I see clearly, and I feel His presence and tender mercies on me at last. I tell you; I'll fight tooth and nail to not go down that path ever again. I'd sooner expire.

Back