What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Men Better Than Women?

ALERT. ALERT. ALERT

DISCLAIMER

Im using brother Jack to give a different view for consideration.

QUESTION: This has driven me crazy and no one ever talks about it. Why didn’t Adam and Eve think it strange that a serpent could actually speak to them? I would have been freaked out.
ANSWER: Great question, but one rarely asked. The Hebrew word translated serpent in Genesis 3:1 is used 31 times in the Old Testament and is never translated any other way. But it comes from a root meaning “to practice divination.” As a noun this root is translated “enchantment” and in its verb form, “enchanter.”

Whatever confronted Eve probably came to be called a serpent because of the judgment God pronounced upon it, that it would crawl on its belly and eat dust all the days of its life.(Gen. 3:14) But what it looked like before its judgment is anybody’s guess, except that it almost certainly didn’t look like a snake. Satan himself is called “that ancient serpent” in Rev. 12:9 but nobody thinks of him as looking like a snake. Paul said that he masquerades as an angel of light. (2 Cor. 11:14)

We don’t know what form the devil took on to have his chat with Eve, but whatever it was didn’t frighten her. Nor did she appear surprised to find herself conversing with it, but was persuaded by it’s logic, though flawed, and the authority with which it spoke.
Some have speculated that before the fall man and animals could talk with one another, but other than this event and the incident with Balaam’s donkey (Numbers 22:21-31) there’s no indication of that being generally so. It’s more likely that Satan came to Eve as a familiar figure, someone she recognized and perhaps even admired. Remember, the angels had been created sometime earlier. (Job 38:4-7)

What was the reason that Adam and Eve ate the fruit? The Bible tells us.

1 Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Eve was deceived by the Serpent, that's an easy one.

Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Notice that the Bible does not just say that Adam also ate of the fruit. It says that Eve gave it to Adam.

Genesis 3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

So Adam makes the excuse to God that his reason for eating the fruit is because Eve gave it to him.

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

So God punishes Adam for obeying Eve rather than him.

So here is how it all works out. Eve ate the fruit as she was tempted and lied to by the Devil who deceived her. Adam ate the fruit because Eve gave it to him, not because he was deceived.

So Eve’s problem was not submitting to Adam. She should have asked for Adam’s counsel before proceeding. Sound familiar?

So Adam’s problem was placing Eve above God. He became submissive to Eve when Eve was supposed to be submissive to him. Sound familiar?

This is the exact same problem we have today with wives not submitting to their husbands and trying to rule over them and men submitting to their wives and placing them above God. I actually slowly ended up placing my wife above God. My primary goal became to please my wife, not to obey God. God 36 years later removed my wife from me (divorce), so I would get back to serving him!

All that said, I do agree with your statement that Satan introduced doubt and that contributed to Eve being deceived. He made Eve think that God did not really want what's best for her. Same as what many Christians believe today, saying why won't God grant me this or that?

Well you did ask for my feedback. LOL! :LOL:

God Bless! 😊
Yes I did, and I thank you brother :)

I especially liked that you picked up the primary observation about doubt tripping Eve up!

So Eve’s problem was not submitting to Adam. She should have asked for Adam’s counsel before proceeding. Sound familiar?

So Adam’s problem was placing Eve above God. He became submissive to Eve when Eve was supposed to be submissive to him. Sound familiar?

This is the exact same problem we have today with wives not submitting to their husbands and trying to rule over them and men submitting to their wives and placing them above God.
:100percent:

If man was all that, then why did God create woman? God could have had a bunch of men populating the earth. But instead He gave Adam a wife. Why? Because clearly Adam was incomplete. He needed someone to help him. So are men better than women? Obviously not in God's eyes. And besides, in God's Kingdom there is no difference at all. (Galatians 3:28)

Back