What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should We Have Fellowship With Unbelievers?

Now, to fellowship with unbelievers for the purposes of having a "good time", where the Gospel of Salvation is never mentioned, could be a snare for the believer because the worldly atmosphere can be damaging to the believer.
As the saying goes, the more time we spend with certain people, the more their ways will rub off on us.

"Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
1 Corinthians 15:33
Thanks for this! The past few weeks I’ve been praying about rekindling a friendship that ended months ago (due to her pretending to be interested in the Gospel). She is now widowed, older than me, can’t get out of her apt. easily due to health issues. My heart really goes out to her. (Back story: One of my four older brothers had a close friend who used to spend summers & lots of time with us. He was another brother to me. He died 10-yr ago and I drew close to his widow.)

She grew up in the RCC and knows lots of religious games. I’ve done Bible studies with her, prayed with her, encouraged her to read her Bible & seen her on a weekly basis for years; yet nothing was actually sinking in. The harder I tried the more I was ‘catching’ her bitterness. She finally asked me if I would keep visiting her if we stopped talking the Gospel.

I realized that I was trying to convert her, and that’s not my job.

We had grown very close. Several times she’s suggested that we get a duplex or home with a basement together.

It seems like a situation where it’s too similar to getting yoked with an unbeliever for my comfort level.

As long as she wants my company, but leave your Jesus at home, I guess should just sadly walk away and keep her in prayers.

As long as she wants my company, but leave your Jesus at home, I guess should just sadly walk away and keep her in prayers.

King James Version
Matthew 7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Contemporary English Version
Matthew 7:6 Don't give to dogs what belongs to God. They will only turn and attack you. Don't throw pearls down in front of pigs. They will trample all over them.

I have been in a similar situation, although via phone talks. My childhood friend and I reconnected about 10 years ago. We talk on the phone a few times each month, and he is not a Christian, and is a liberal. I dont bring up the gospel in every phone call, but once in a while, it comes up, and he politely listens, and occasionally asks questions. I also gave him a detailed rapture brief and what not to do if left behind. We finally met last October for a lunch. He is in my nightly prayers when I pray for people I know who are not saved.

I will always talk with him, and if not giving him the gospel message, I do so through my words and actions.

Back