What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HORROR! Tarantulas Swarming in Southern United States

If you suffer from arachnophobia, stay away from the southern United States for a while. Why? Because much of the southwest, especially southern Colorado, is about to be inundated in swarms of tarantulas.

Yes, really.

Every year, swarms of Texas brown tarantulas (Aphonopelma hentzi) take advantage of the cooling temperature across the southern US to look for a mate. And 2024 shouldn't be much different, experts predict.
The fist-sized arachnids are commonly found across Texas and through New Mexico, with populations in Arizona's Sonoran desert.

Yet it's places like Colorado where the spiders really make their presence known.
Not that most people typically notice – curiously shy for an animal with such a fearsome reputation, they typically chill close to the ground in heavily sheltered spots, hunkering down in abandoned burrows by day only to emerge at night to dine on an insect or two or perhaps a small rodent.

It all makes you wonder why; but as it happens, we can spin the tale of the tarantula invasion. You could, of course, look this up on the web, but why, when we've already brought you the information here — without any bugs?

Back to the tarantulas. The reason for the big gathering, as is the reason for so many such gatherings of creatures, great and small, is simple, and I'm here to spin the tale for you. In a word: breeding.

More

I remember we were driving across the desert (mojave?) when I was a kid, and there was a line of taratulas walking each behind the other, very neatly, across the road. It was oddly mesmerizing, and we waited for a while to let them go, but the line extended as far as the eye could see in both directions. Finally, my dad gave up and squished some spiders with car tires, but swarming is not how I would have described it.

I remember we were driving across the desert (mojave?) when I was a kid, and there was a line of taratulas walking each behind the other, very neatly, across the road. It was oddly mesmerizing, and we waited for a while to let them go, but the line extended as far as the eye could see in both directions. Finally, my dad gave up and squished some spiders with car tires, but swarming is not how I would have described it.
I can hear them now, just like a bowl of Rice Krispies, the sounds, Snap, Crackle, and Pop :monkey:

This is a horrible report. There are brown tarantulas in south to south east Missouri. Sometimes folks that are walking or jogging along the evening roadside say they've seen them crawling across. Not sure if that's accurate but even at my age this is akin to burning a house down when one is spotted.......so do I move to North Dakota?

You'd be safe in Alaska...

Back