What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FALLING AWAY? A STUDY OF HEBREWS 6

Although IMO, the writing style seems to indicate the possibility Paul wrote Hebrews, there is no clear evidence to prove it. All that really matters is the author of Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit in what he wrote.

I doubt anyone would argue against the Holy Ghost being the Author. What clear 'evidence' are you looking for?

But God uses men in accordance to their availability, how He can use them. Do you think God chose Paul for no reason?

Moses was well learned in the ways of Egypt. Paul was well learned in the ways of the Pharisees. Coincidence?

Quantrill

Who authored Hebrews doesn't matter, if God needed for us to know He would have made it known.
What matters is the content which is beneficial for everyone reading it which falls in with 2 Timothy 3:16, that "All scripture is breathed by God, and beneficial" for all of the needs of the believer.

Who authored Hebrews doesn't matter, if God needed for us to know He would have made it known.
What matters is the content which is beneficial for everyone reading it which falls in with 2 Timothy 3:16, that "All scripture is breathed by God, and beneficial" for all of the needs of the believer.

If Paul had a reason for not signing his name to the book of (Hebrews), would God over ride that? Or did God let the human vessel He chose to act as He knew he would act.

No one is saying anything against (2 Tim. 3;16).

The authorship of the human writer, Paul, is what is in question. What do you have against it?

Quantrill

If Paul had a reason for not signing his name to the book of (Hebrews), would God over ride that? Or did God let the human vessel He chose to act as He knew he would act.

No one is saying anything against (2 Tim. 3;16).

The authorship of the human writer, Paul, is what is in question. What do you have against it?

Quantrill
I have nothing against it, but I try to stay within Scripture content and not make assumptions with guessing things that cannot be supported by scripture.
That doesn't mean no one else can make assumptions but I think doing so can lead us to make more assumptions about other things in the Bible.

I doubt anyone would argue against the Holy Ghost being the Author. What clear 'evidence' are you looking for?

But God uses men in accordance to their availability, how He can use them. Do you think God chose Paul for no reason?

Moses was well learned in the ways of Egypt. Paul was well learned in the ways of the Pharisees. Coincidence?

Quantrill
For the record, I also believe Paul likely wrote the book of Hebrews but its just an assumption, not a fact many agree with or can be proved.

I didn't say that.
I believe it isn't so much that the writer of Hebrews chose to be anonymous but it was God Who chose for the writer to not be known.

Do you think Paul's decision for his authorship to be unknown, for his reasons, would be unknown to God?

And would Paul's decision be in contradiction with God? In all of Scripture you have both the human and Divine element.

Quantrill

If any existed, it would be clear by now.

Why does it matter who wrote it? God wanted Hebrews in His bible, and thats all I really need to know.

It matters a great deal. It gives understanding in the Scripture. No one could write the book of (Hebrews) who was not thoroughly versed in all of the Old Testament. No one could contend with the Jews as the writer of (Hebrews) does unless he was a teacher of the law, a Pharisee himself. And a saved one at that.

So, I firmly believe Paul was the writer of (Hebrews). Yet Paul didn't sign his name to the book of (Hebrews) as he did his other writings. Why? Of course if it doesn't matter, that's fine. Myself, these things interest me.

Quantrill

It matters a great deal. It gives understanding in the Scripture. No one could write the book of (Hebrews) who was not thoroughly versed in all of the Old Testament. No one could contend with the Jews as the writer of (Hebrews) does unless he was a teacher of the law, a Pharisee himself. And a saved one at that.

So, I firmly believe Paul was the writer of (Hebrews). Yet Paul didn't sign his name to the book of (Hebrews) as he did his other writings. Why? Of course if it doesn't matter, that's fine. Myself, these things interest me.

Quantrill
You’re really debating yourself because I already stated IMO, Paul wrote Hebrews. The contents, thats whats important.

This is a very interesting subject. For years I believed in the Pauline authorship of Hebrews, but deeper study has led me to question that.

Barnabus is a candidate for authorship. He was a Levite, so he was well versed in the Torah and he was a Pharisee, so he was also well-versed in the Midrashim.

Having said that, there are some Pauline turns of phrase in Hebrews. And certainly the author had very deep knowledge of Jewish law and Temple practices. But there are also many words and uses of grammar that are not typical of Paul's writing and, in fact, never appear in any of his other 13 epistles. And a Levite such as Barnabas would certainly be well acquainted with all of the Temple practices.

Apollos is another possible author of Hebrews as he was well versed in the Scriptures. But in fact, if it were not Paul who wrote Hebrews, then I definitely would lean toward Barnabus.

However ... ultimately it doesn't matter the man whom God used, it was the Holy Spirit who moved upon the person and it is the Word of God, so it is not dependent upon the man who wrote it.

If anyone wants a closer look at specific reasons against Paul's authorship, there is a short but well-reasoned article at Authorship of Hebrews: Why not Paul? | SHARPER IRON. I recommend giving it a read.

Pastor David Wilkerson was “one of my preachers”, I loved his ministry, I trusted him (hasn’t changed), but one thing you should know is he wasn’t OSAO (once saved, always saved). I still listen to his archived audio and video sermons.

This is a very interesting subject. For years I believed in the Pauline authorship of Hebrews, but deeper study has led me to question that.

Barnabus is a candidate for authorship. He was a Levite, so he was well versed in the Torah and he was a Pharisee, so he was also well-versed in the Midrashim.

Having said that, there are some Pauline turns of phrase in Hebrews. And certainly the author had very deep knowledge of Jewish law and Temple practices. But there are also many words and uses of grammar that are not typical of Paul's writing and, in fact, never appear in any of his other 13 epistles. And a Levite such as Barnabas would certainly be well acquainted with all of the Temple practices.

Apollos is another possible author of Hebrews as he was well versed in the Scriptures. But in fact, if it were not Paul who wrote Hebrews, then I definitely would lean toward Barnabus.

However ... ultimately it doesn't matter the man whom God used, it was the Holy Spirit who moved upon the person and it is the Word of God, so it is not dependent upon the man who wrote it.

If anyone wants a closer look at specific reasons against Paul's authorship, there is a short but well-reasoned article at Authorship of Hebrews: Why not Paul? | SHARPER IRON. I recommend giving it a read.
I lean heavy toward it being Paul, although, there is no precedent that only Apostles could pen a New Testament book, because we have Luke, a Greek (if I am not mistaken) who set the precedent to the opposite, i.e., he not being an apostle.

Those who attack the authorship of any of the writers of the Bible, use the same argument you do. Certain use of phrases or words or grammar are not typical of Paul. I reject such arguments because you always have also the Holy Spirit involved. Which is going to present another 'writer/author.

And, by the way, why is Apollos or Barnabas considered? Do you have other Biblical writings of theirs to compare to? No. They get a free pass, just because someone wants to think so.

Any who think Paul didn't write (Hebrews), give me your strongest argument. Give me what you think is fool proof that Paul didn't write (Hebrews).

Quantrill

Those who attack the authorship of any of the writers of the Bible, use the same argument you do. Certain use of phrases or words or grammar are not typical of Paul. I reject such arguments because you always have also the Holy Spirit involved. Which is going to present another 'writer/author.

And, by the way, why is Apollos or Barnabas considered? Do you have other Biblical writings of theirs to compare to? No. They get a free pass, just because someone wants to think so.

Any who think Paul didn't write (Hebrews), give me your strongest argument. Give me what you think is fool proof that Paul didn't write (Hebrews).

Quantrill
Honestly, what does it matter if Paul moved his fingers? The Holy Spirit wrote it. That's good enough for me. I'm not sure why arguing over the author matters, but maybe I am ignorant and about to learn something. That's certainly not unprecedented.

Back