What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is true worship?

By Got Questions

The apostle Paul described true worship perfectly in Romans 12:1-2: “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable, or well pleasing and perfect.”

This passage contains all the elements of true worship. First, there is the motivation to worship: “the mercies of God.” God’s mercies are everything He has given us that we don’t deserve: eternal love, eternal grace, the Holy Spirit, everlasting peace, eternal joy, saving faith, comfort, strength, wisdom, hope, patience, kindness, honor, glory, righteousness, security, eternal life, forgiveness, reconciliation, justification, sanctification, freedom, intercession and much more. The knowledge and understanding of these incredible gifts motivate us to pour forth praise and thanksgiving—in other words, worship!

Also in the passage is a description of the manner of our worship: “present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice.” Presenting our bodies means giving to God all of ourselves. The reference to our bodies here means all our human faculties, all of our humanness—our hearts, minds, hands, thoughts, attitudes—are to be presented to God. In other words, we are to give up control of these things and turn them over to Him, just as a literal sacrifice was given totally to God on the altar. But how? Again, the passage is clear: “by the renewing of your mind.” We renew our minds daily by cleansing them of the world’s “wisdom” and replacing it with true wisdom that comes from God. We worship Him with our renewed and cleansed minds, not with our emotions. Emotions are wonderful things, but unless they are shaped by a mind saturated in Truth, they can be destructive, out-of-control forces. Where the mind goes, the will follows, and so do the emotions. First Corinthians 2:16 tells us we have “the mind of Christ,” not the emotions of Christ.

There is only one way to renew our minds, and that is by the Word of God. It is the truth, the knowledge of the Word of God, which is to say the knowledge of the mercies of God, and we’re back where we began. To know the truth, to believe the truth, to hold convictions about the truth, and to love the truth will naturally result in true spiritual worship. It is conviction followed by affection, affection that is a response to truth, not to any external stimuli, including music. Music as such has nothing to do with worship. Music can’t produce worship, although it certainly can produce emotion. Music is not the origin of worship, but it can be the expression of it. Do not look to music to induce your worship; look to music as simply an expression of that which is induced by a heart that is rapt by the mercies of God, obedient to His commands.

Continue Reading

Music is not the origin of worship, but it can be the expression of it.
Excellent article! But this is one generalization with which I disagree to some extent. While it is true that real worship springs from our heart, and not from music, music can bring out from the heart what is there although buried by circumstances. As an example, there are times when I have felt so dry, so distant from God, that I have no interest in worship. (Yes, pastors are human too.) But let me hear a true worship song, and I begin to feel the stirrings in my heart again and before you know it tears are rolling down my face and I am truly worshiping. So music can be the catalyst to open the heart.

Excellent article! But this is one generalization with which I disagree to some extent. While it is true that real worship springs from our heart, and not from music, music can bring out from the heart what is there although buried by circumstances. As an example, there are times when I have felt so dry, so distant from God, that I have no interest in worship. (Yes, pastors are human too.) But let me hear a true worship song, and I begin to feel the stirrings in my heart again and before you know it tears are rolling down my face and I am truly worshiping. So music can be the catalyst to open the heart.
What you say is true and King David exibits that in the Psalms. However, even in the music, ones heart needs to be in it when using music to worship. Many can follow along during a music worship service and unconsciously sing the words because they know them, but may not have their hearts in what they are singing. What you describe makes sense. Many may put their heart into the music, and that is worship. There are times I am singing a worship song and it touches my heart and I direct the words to The Lord. I have to admit that sometimes I find myself just singing along, and my heart isn't in it. That's not worship.
I think that just singing to words that aren't heartfelt with meaning behind it wouldn't be considered worship.
No one has to agree, but I do believe worship needs to come from the heart.

I agree 100%, sis. My point was simply that music can stir the heart to bring forth worship. But, of course, the conviction has to be already in the heart for it to be brought forth into outward worship.
And I agree with you that music can be used for worship.
There's a problem today with contemporary Christian music. It's been notable that the NAR movement has used their music to draw young people to their movement, through the music. Examples are Hillsong, Bethel, Elevation. All of these Christian music groups are from the NAR movement and the younger generation has been flocking to the NAR because they are drawn to the music. Most of the music is about "me" and not about glorifying God, though it may mention God. Many churches, especially the Mega churches, have become feel good churches and not about the Gospel of Jesus.
Being in the last days there's so much deception and apostasy that has changed the true meaning of worshipping God.

Back