What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War with Hamas pushes Israelis closer to God

Kaatje

Unto Thee I lift my eyes. Ps. 123
Staff member

"Before this war, my life was entirely secular; since October 7, that lifestyle has undergone a profound transformation."​

In the past four months, a newfound closeness to God and Judaism has emerged among many Israelis. A survey, carried out by Lazar Research and published on Friday exclusively for The Jerusalem Post, reveals a dramatic shift in spiritual sentiment: a third of those polled have found their faith in God deepened during these challenging four months. This significant finding points to a collective search for comfort, understanding, and strength in adversity.

The survey uncovered a striking divide in how people have been affected spiritually: a notable 33% of respondents experienced a strengthening of their belief in a higher power. In contrast, a smaller segment, 8%, reported a decline in their faith, while the majority, 59%, saw no shift in their spiritual outlook.
Delving deeper, the analysis shed light on interesting demographic trends. Faith reinforcement was powerful among those with traditional leanings, where 44% reported a deepened belief as opposed to just 16% of secular individuals. Age also emerged as a significant factor, with younger respondents more inclined to feel an increase in their faith.

If a third of Israeli Jews feel closer to God after this traumatic experience, that is a new and exciting trend. After the Holocaust, some survivors decided to become more religious, while others chose to distance themselves from anything to do with religion.

Back