What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

United Methodists Begin to Reverse Longstanding Anti-LGBTQ Policies

Everlasting Life

By grace, through faith in Jesus

......The delegates voted to delete mandatory penalties for conducting same-sex marriages and to remove their denomination's bans on considering LGBTQ candidates for ministry and on funding for gay-friendly ministries.

The 667-54 vote, coming during their legislative General Conference, removes some of the scaffolding around the United Methodist Church's longstanding bans on LGBTQ-affirming policies regarding ordination, marriage and funding.

Still to come later this week are votes on the core of the bans on LGBTQ clergy and same-sex marriage in church law and policy, which may draw more debate. However, the large majority achieved by Tuesday's votes indicate the tenor of the General Conference. The consensus was so overwhelming that these items were rolled into the legislative “consent calendar," normally reserved for non-controversial measures........

........With the absence of many conservative delegates, who had been in the solid majority in previous general conferences and had steadily reinforced such bans over the decades, progressive delegates are moving quickly to reverse such policies.

The article also states that this voting happened without a debate. And while that's puzzling, I do wonder about there being any sort of appointed Eldership in place to actually set biblical guard rails on important issues, rather than people voting?

Is that a better way to go with a church body? My impression when reading the New Testament is that this is how the Church put together leadership (after seeking the Lord in prayer).

As a former (recovering?) Methodist, unfortunately I know a little about this. I believe those voting are all elders, which in UMC terms mean they're all pastors or above (bishops, maybe district superintendents, etc.). Back when I was a member, even though there was a liberal majority in the US, the African vote largely kept things like this in check, as that is one area the denomination was growing and vibrant. Since so many conservatives have left recently, the enemy is really having his way with what's left. It's sad, and I'm sure the Wesley brothers would not be pleased.

Yes, very sad.

Greg, do you know if the denomination owns individual properties of each church?
Yes -- they do, at least as a general rule... not sure if there are exceptions. Under the agreement they worked out several years ago, they made it easier for departing congregations to take their building/land with them. I think the time is about up on that though.

As a former (recovering?) Methodist, unfortunately I know a little about this. I believe those voting are all elders, which in UMC terms mean they're all pastors or above (bishops, maybe district superintendents, etc.). Back when I was a member, even though there was a liberal majority in the US, the African vote largely kept things like this in check, as that is one area the denomination was growing and vibrant. Since so many conservatives have left recently, the enemy is really having his way with what's left. It's sad, and I'm sure the Wesley brothers would not be pleased.

I'm sorry Greg, this must be difficult for you. I've not attended a Methodist church myself (by happenstance) and have a heavy heart reading about this.

Thanks for explaining a little more what's most likely happening with the voting.

May the Lord work in this somehow and comfort those who grieve to see this play out. :pray:

I'm sorry Greg, this must be difficult for you. I've not attended a Methodist church myself (by happenstance) and have a heavy heart reading about this.

Thanks for explaining a little more what's most likely happening with the voting.

May the Lord work in this somehow and comfort those who grieve to see this play out. :pray:
I don't know... I think in a way it's good. I think for the portion of that denomination that held more closely to biblical values, it has been a wakeup call and they have left to pursue a closer walk. For the rest, well I guess welcome to Laodicea in all its earthly splendor. I don't have a good feeling when I drive by most umc churches these days, but that's about it.

I remember being on a construction related mission trip one year. We were staying at a school in Kentucky for a week with people from a few other churches and doing home repair and relational stuff at homes in the area. One morning, a female pastor from one of those other churches opened a prayer by saying "mother and father god...." God was still at work though because at the end of the week during a whole group reflection time on the week she did share something that made sense. I think I had already left by that point, but was still going on this particular trip for a few years after. Yet on the way down (that year or another around that time), we stopped; overnight in Lexington and attended a very solid church. God still has His people in all different kinds of environments. And lets not forget what happened at Asbury last year. What has to be will be though, I guess.

It is a shame that these churches are going against Gods word. We are not to add or take away from his word. These people are more concerned about pleasing people than God. The :bible:tells us some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons.

It is a shame that these churches are going against Gods word. We are not to add or take away from his word. These people are more concerned about pleasing people than God. The :bible:tells us some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons.
Yes. It's possible to show kindness to gay people and to share the gospel with them without affirming the LGBTQI lifestyle, being a good samaritan but also clearly standing for the truth. Too many denominations seem to be caving in to everything and anything- a sign of the End Times. It's expected but still sad to see. God Bless All :)

Back