What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Evangelism of England

Ronnie

Charter Member
I happened upon a nice page that tells the history of the spread of Chrianity of England from Germanic paganism.

I don’t know when the true Gospel when to England, but concerning the Catholic’s they exchanged Germanic paganism for Roman paganism. You can always discern between Christianity when you’re dealing with the State Church, true Christianity is never tied to the State.

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
Joh 18:36

I don’t know when the true Gospel went to England
It will be interesting to find out one day. I tried to research it. I've seen this as the most common date: First missionary to England was Augustine in 597.

I read somewhere that during the first century the early church had missionaries in England, but can't back that up. But, I doubt the 597 Augustine timeline.

One man who was devoted to Scripture and was said to make the first translation of parts of the Bible for the pagan Celts in Scotland in the mid 500s. WAY before Augustine. Here's a tidbit:

Columba: Missionary to Scotland​

"Isolated from the rest of Britain and Europe lies the island of Iona, off the coast of Scotland. Yet from this small, barren and windswept island a great impact would be felt far and wide. Columba, that great missionary and trainer of missionaries made this his base and set up a school that would last for several centuries."

Later on the R. Catholics would claim him and saint him, but as I researched him I thought he was in no way Catholic. He literally wanted pagan tribes to have Bibles. He was before the R. Catholics were to martyr any who shared Bibles.

A bit of RCC history from a google search:
"Roman Catholic Repression of the Bible: The Roman Catholic church’s repression of the Bible in vernacular languages has been documented since the Middle Ages, with a few highlights being Pope John X in 920 banning the use of the Old Church Slavonic translation, the Second Council of Tarragona in 1234 banning ownership of a Bible in any Romance language, and Archbishop Richard Arundel’s 1409 prohibition of translating the Bible into English."

The Continuing Story of the Banning and Censoring of the Bible | Online Library of Liberty

Anyhow, when Constantine of Rome (around 300 AD) made Christianity a state religion, the RCC began.

Back