What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Psalms 2 - The LORD and His Anointed

Kaatje

Unto Thee I lift my eyes. Ps. 123
Staff member
Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Prophetic view

Psalms 1 and 2 belong together, together they form the gate through which we enter the book of Psalms. Psalm 1 shows man and how he should live, with a solemn warning at the end not to stray from the right path.
In Psalm 2 we see the world from God's perspective. It shows the people who were warned in Psalm 1, but who still think they can win from God. The Psalm closes with a blessing to those who heed the warning, and kiss (that is, accept as their savior) the Son.
In Psalm 2 we actually see the entire history of the world, from beginning to end, unfolding.

It all started in Genesis, with Nimrod. Nimrod was the first world ruler. (Genesis 10 and 11)
Where God had explicitly said, "Scatter yourselves over the earth and subdue it," Nimrod thought he knew better, and with his followers he decided to build a tower so high that they would even go to heaven, to defy God, to take the crown.
God had to laugh about it. That giant tower! "Come, said God, let's go down and see that puny thing."
But when God saw the tower and the work they did in unity with each other, He said: If We permit it, their aspirations will not end, nothing will be impossible for them.
So, God confounded their speech, the people didn’t understand one another and moved away from each other. At last they scattered upont the face of the earth, and the tower turned to dust.

This was the beginning of the formation of the nations. No more unity, but wars, tribal warfare and all the associated misery. That seems like a huge curse, but it was also a blessing. For imagine if God had allowed the oneness that was there to remain to exist?
The whole world united under 1 world leader? We find out what that means at the end of the Bible, in the book of Revelation. At the end of time, such a man will arise, who will supposedly solve all the miseries of the world, and he will be hailed by all people.
Well, not all people, the God-fearing ones will realize that the Antichrist is exalting himself against God, and they will not submit to him, even if they have to pay with death. (Matt. 10:28)

The Antichrist is the ultimate Nimrod. Haughty, and thinking that he will win against God. But he is man, and not God, what will puny clay do against God?

In Isaiah 29:16 we read:
Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?
God still sits in heaven and laughs at all that foolishness of the wicked. His Son can break them with a rod of iron like a potter the workmanship of his hands.

In Revelation 2 the Spirit says to the church of Thyatira:
But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

Our God is a God of salvation and forgiveness, He is rich in mercy and love.
God does not delight in the death of the wicked, but in that the wicked turn from his way and live! (Ezekiel 18:11)
However, God is also just. If one does not repent, he will perish in his sins. That is why Psalms 2 is such a serious warning. Oh, if only all men were convinced and turn back from their way which leads to the abyss. That alone brings salvation and blessing!

Jeremiah 17 comes full circle and brings us back to Psalms 1, we read:
Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.
For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

Question:

From Genesis 11:6 we learn God restrains the wicked people by confounding their language.
So, the restraint was that they couldn’t understand one another. These days we have pretty much returned to one common language, English. Does that mean that God is lifting this hedge of protection? It certainly seems that way.
And the global cabal is chomping at the bit, to return to building their ultimate tower, you can feel it everywhere, there is just that last pesky hurdle they can’t cross, until God lets them have at it.

Maratha Lord Jesus, please take us out soon!

Back