What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OSAS, THE WHOLE STORY

Andy C

Well-known
A Bible Study by Jack Kelley

If you follow our “Ask a Bible Teacher” feature, you know how many comments I’ve received lately that question the Doctrine of Eternal Security (aka Once Saved Always Saved or OSAS). Based on their content I’ve concluded that many people neither understand OSAS nor have they considered the alternative.

Let’s Begin At The Beginning​

It’s time to set the record straight once and for all. What does it take to be saved? I think the best answer to that question is the one the Lord gave in John 6:28-29.

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Here was a perfect opportunity to list all the things we have to do to meet God’s requirements. Jesus could have rattled off the 10 commandments. He could have repeated the Sermon on the Mount. He could have listed any number of admonitions and restrictions necessary to achieve and maintain God’s expectations of us. But what did He say? “Believe in the one He has sent.” Period. It was a repeat of John 3:16, confirming that belief in the Son is the one and only requirement for salvation.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

A few verses later in John 6:38-40 He said that this wasn’t just His idea, as if that wouldn’t be enough, but that His Father was in complete agreement. And not only would our belief suffice to provide us with eternal life, but that it was God’s will that Jesus lose none of those who believe. You and I have been known to disobey God’s will, but has Jesus ever done so? And isn’t He the one who’s been charged with the responsibility for keeping us? Let’s read it.

“For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”(John 6:38-40)

Just in case we missed this promise, Jesus made it again even more clearly in John 10:28-30. “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” The Father and the Son have both accepted responsibility for our security. Once we’re in Their hands, no one can get us away.

I have purposely only used words straight from the Lord’s own mouth to make this case because I can already hear the choruses of “Yes Buts” mounting as those who refuse to take them at face value get ready to trot out their favorite verses denying Eternal Security, misinterpreted though they are.

The one characteristic of God’s that gives us the most comfort is knowing that He can’t lie or change His mind or contradict Himself. He can’t say something in one place and then say something entirely different in another. He’s consistent. If He says that we’re saved solely because of our belief in Him, and that He’s accepted responsibility for keeping us so, then we can count on that. As we’ll see, anything in the Bible that seems to contradict these simple, straightforward statements has to be talking about something else.

A Bible Study by Jack Kelley

If you follow our “Ask a Bible Teacher” feature, you know how many comments I’ve received lately that question the Doctrine of Eternal Security (aka Once Saved Always Saved or OSAS). Based on their content I’ve concluded that many people neither understand OSAS nor have they considered the alternative.

Let’s Begin At The Beginning​

It’s time to set the record straight once and for all. What does it take to be saved? I think the best answer to that question is the one the Lord gave in John 6:28-29.

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Here was a perfect opportunity to list all the things we have to do to meet God’s requirements. Jesus could have rattled off the 10 commandments. He could have repeated the Sermon on the Mount. He could have listed any number of admonitions and restrictions necessary to achieve and maintain God’s expectations of us. But what did He say? “Believe in the one He has sent.” Period. It was a repeat of John 3:16, confirming that belief in the Son is the one and only requirement for salvation.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

A few verses later in John 6:38-40 He said that this wasn’t just His idea, as if that wouldn’t be enough, but that His Father was in complete agreement. And not only would our belief suffice to provide us with eternal life, but that it was God’s will that Jesus lose none of those who believe. You and I have been known to disobey God’s will, but has Jesus ever done so? And isn’t He the one who’s been charged with the responsibility for keeping us? Let’s read it.

“For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”(John 6:38-40)

Just in case we missed this promise, Jesus made it again even more clearly in John 10:28-30. “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” The Father and the Son have both accepted responsibility for our security. Once we’re in Their hands, no one can get us away.

I have purposely only used words straight from the Lord’s own mouth to make this case because I can already hear the choruses of “Yes Buts” mounting as those who refuse to take them at face value get ready to trot out their favorite verses denying Eternal Security, misinterpreted though they are.

The one characteristic of God’s that gives us the most comfort is knowing that He can’t lie or change His mind or contradict Himself. He can’t say something in one place and then say something entirely different in another. He’s consistent. If He says that we’re saved solely because of our belief in Him, and that He’s accepted responsibility for keeping us so, then we can count on that. As we’ll see, anything in the Bible that seems to contradict these simple, straightforward statements has to be talking about something else.

This is possibly the most thorough examination of the truth of eternal security that I have ever read. It hinges not on debates over words, but solely on Scripture. Thank you so much for posting this, Andy. You have done many people a great service.

BUMP

I heard Andy Woods give a good illustration of OSAS and the joy of assurance of salvation.

“My favorite sports team was getting ready for their biggest game of the season, and I was nervous before the game. Once the game started, every time my team fell behind, I would get stressed and anxious. It got to the point where I had to turn off the game because I simply could not stand not knowing what would happen. I decided to record the rest of the game to watch later. That evening, I happened to hear the score and my team won. So when I finally watched the rest of the game, no stress, I was very happy because I already knew the final outcome”.

Dont be stressed every time you fail at doing whats right, or you sin, thinking maybe you’re really not saved. Once you are His, nothing can ever change that, not even your own bad behavior, because we already know the final outcome is eternity with Him.

To know your salvation is secure is so important for believers, especially young believers. Because you will always recognize sin in your life. Which will make you agonize on whether or not you are really saved.

A good Bible teacher once told us, 'if it were possible to lose your salvation, you would lose it'. Which means if it were possible, no one would be saved, no one would go to Heaven.

It's common for some atheists to say, 'yes, I used to be a Christian but I am not any more'. But that's a lie. And they usually say that only to lend credibility to their unbelief, like they saw the error of their ways.

The two classes of beings that God created, angels and man, were created perfect, and given perfect environment to exist in. And both classes fell. They didn't fall from 'salvation'. They, in a perfect state, fell away from God.

I think it's important to remember that God loses nothing that is His...nothing. And He chose to bring salvation to man, to redeem those that are His. And it is that redemption that secures man in his relationship to God. Man created perfect didn't secure him forever. Redeemed man is secure forever.

It's my opinion that God didn't want just a perfect man or woman in the garden forever. He wanted a redeemed people, redeemed by Him. That alone would assure their eternal existence with Him. And how could that not be so when Jesus was slain from the foundation of the world? (Rev. 13:8) Jesus death was no afterthought. God never reacts. He acts.

And, forever, we will always be saved sinners. Redeemed. And, amazing to me, that is offensive to some. But redemption is the only place for eternal security.

Quantrill

A good Bible teacher once told us, 'if it were possible to lose your salvation, you would lose it'. Which means if it were possible, no one would be saved, no one would go to Heaven.
THIS ⬆️ !! :100percent:

God never takes back His promises, or He wouldn't be God.

BTW, off topic:
This is also an indestructible evidence against Replacement Theology!
Back to topic.

It's my opinion that God didn't want just a perfect man or woman in the garden forever. He wanted a redeemed people, redeemed by Him. That alone would assure their eternal existence with Him. And how could that not be so when Jesus was slain from the foundation of the world? (Rev. 13:8) Jesus death was no afterthought. God never reacts. He acts.

Exacly.
God's love for mankind asks for our returning love, freely given.
That was the very reason for the creation of the Tree of good and evil.
So man would have free choice.
God loves nothing better than to grant us eternal life through the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ.

Like you said, God doesn't react, He acts.
He knows the beginning from the end, the Trees in Paradise are evidence of that.

This is why Christianity is a relationship, not a religion. God has loved us from the foundation of the world. He has loved us and known us. In fact, while we are still being formed in our mother's womb, He knows every day of our lives ... before we have lived one! He knows us; now He wants us to know Him. He desires us to have this individual, intimate, passionate relationship with Him, just as He has with us! What an awesome thought!!!

Even if I backslide, and became weak in faith, He will keep me.

2 Timothy 2

11 This is a faithful saying:

For if we died with Him,
We shall also live with Him.

12 If we endure,
We shall also reign with Him.
If we deny Him,
He also will deny us.

13 If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself.

Even if I backslide, and became weak in faith, He will keep me.

2 Timothy 2

11 This is a faithful saying:

For if we died with Him,
We shall also live with Him.

12 If we endure,
We shall also reign with Him.
If we deny Him,
He also will deny us.

13 If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself.
Yes! After all, He is the author and the finisher of our faith. The Greek word translated finisher means one who consummates, who completes, who entirely finishes. It is all Jesus. As Quantrill stated upthread: "Did God base his plan of salvation on my faithfulness, or His?" Exactly. When Jesus said "It is finished!" He meant: It is finished! Our only part in the whole transaction is to accept it.

The entire contract is laid out in Colossians 1:22-23. God's responsibility is given in verse 22--

"But now He has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy, unblemished, and blameless in His presence"​

That's pretty clear. He has reconciled us to Himself and will present us to Himself holy, unblemished and blameless. Glory to God! His responsibility is all of that. It is not ours. Our part is laid out in verse 23--

"if indeed you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope of the gospel you heard"​

That is all. We just have to remain in faith in Him and His finished work. Yet even here it is Christ at work in us, for He will leave the 90 and 9 to bring back the one that wanders. What security! Like Paul I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. :yeah::yeah::yeah:

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord
Romans 6:23

Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began
2 Timothy 1:9

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable
Romans 11:29

Back