What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God's comfort for believers during the hardest of times

Life sometimes hits us hard, and our hearts struggle with situations in which we feel a serious need for someone to be at our side. Maybe some of us will say with the psalmist: “My soul refuses to be comforted.” (Ps. 77:2). Nevertheless, the believer has God who is always with him, even in the worst circumstances. In the deepest pain, we discover the most reliable comfort in God Himself. As David found out saying: “Your rod and Your staff they comfort me” and that “in the abundance of my thoughts within me Your comforts delight my soul.” (Ps. 23:4; 94:19). Brother, sister, let us look to our God and to his many consolations:

1. God of all comfort

What a beautiful epithet “God of all comfort”, as He is the one who comforts us and He is the one triune God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), the source of comfort, “I, I am Your comforter…” The same with the Lord Jesus who "will comfort your hearts and prepare you in every word or deed” (Isa. 51: 12; 2 Thes. 2: 17).

One of the appellations of the Holy Spirit is the Comforter, “paraklitos” in Greek, which means " one who appears on another's behalf ", i.e., helper, advocate and supporter. Isn't He the ultimate supporter who stands by the side of every believer in all circumstances? (John 14: 26; Eph. 3: 16; Phil. 1: 19). He is also the helper of the believers as a community, as it is written " So the church… was being built up and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied" (Acts 9:31).

2. Comforting people

Each of us is called to be strong in the Lord, and to support and strengthen the others, and sometimes a few words make the difference. Remember that those who find their comfort in God will best know how to pass that comfort on to others. Here are some Biblical figures who comforted others.

Continue Reading

Back