What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disturbing Hostility Toward Bible Prophecy: Why Does The Church Neglect This Profound Evangelism Tool?

Almost Heaven

Well-known
One consistent criticism of Bible prophecy—or at least advocates of the importance of God’s prophetic Word—is that it has little relevance to individual believers, or the core work of the Church. Many pastors express reluctance to preach on prophecy because they have so many other concerns clamoring for their attention, from marriage and family issues to Satan and sin nipping at the heels of their flock.

Others are openly hostile toward Bible prophecy. Rick Warren, a prominent pastor who leads a huge church and is a best-selling author, characterizes prophecy as a “distraction” and says that anyone who lets himself get involved in distractions like studying prophecy “is not fit for the kingdom of God.” Another well-known advocate of re-envisioned Christianity, Tony Campolo, said, “Rigid Christians who believe in the possibility of Jesus’ soon return are a real problem for the entire world.” Clearly, these men express a hostility toward Bible prophecy that is disturbing.

Jesus’ own disciples expressed certain expectations based on their understanding of Old Testament prophecies. During one visit to Jerusalem, following Jesus’ prophecy concerning the destruction of the impressive Temple built by Herod, they came to the Lord privately and asked, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” (Matthew 24:3). Jesus did not dismiss their expectations or scoff at their understanding. And He certainly did not rebuke their interest in what had been prophesied. Instead, He expounded on the signs of His coming and of the end of the age.

Read more... Disturbing Hostility Toward Bible Prophecy: Why Does The Church Neglect This Profound Evangelism Tool? - Harbingers Daily

Yep. I agree with your posts. I believe the Bible prophecy hostility is heavily due to date setters of the past, way over the top melodrama and sensationalism of interpretation, Israel wins in the end, Christian's win in the end, lost people go to hell, billions will die, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords returns to rule the nations, and lots of conspiratory type Q-Anon interwoven messaging. The hostility from unbelievers should be expected, but if any/all of these are true to one extent or another, it is also expected within the church.

One consistent criticism of Bible prophecy—or at least advocates of the importance of God’s prophetic Word—is that it has little relevance to individual believers, or the core work of the Church. Many pastors express reluctance to preach on prophecy because they have so many other concerns clamoring for their attention, from marriage and family issues to Satan and sin nipping at the heels of their flock.

Others are openly hostile toward Bible prophecy. Rick Warren, a prominent pastor who leads a huge church and is a best-selling author, characterizes prophecy as a “distraction” and says that anyone who lets himself get involved in distractions like studying prophecy “is not fit for the kingdom of God.” Another well-known advocate of re-envisioned Christianity, Tony Campolo, said, “Rigid Christians who believe in the possibility of Jesus’ soon return are a real problem for the entire world.” Clearly, these men express a hostility toward Bible prophecy that is disturbing.

Jesus’ own disciples expressed certain expectations based on their understanding of Old Testament prophecies. During one visit to Jerusalem, following Jesus’ prophecy concerning the destruction of the impressive Temple built by Herod, they came to the Lord privately and asked, “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” (Matthew 24:3). Jesus did not dismiss their expectations or scoff at their understanding. And He certainly did not rebuke their interest in what had been prophesied. Instead, He expounded on the signs of His coming and of the end of the age.

Read more...https://harbingersdaily.com/disturbing-hostility-toward-bible-prophecy-why-does-the-church-neglect-this-profound-evangelism-tool/
I'm meeting with an old friend on Monday afternoon about something else, but he has gone whole hog, face first into this nonsense. I was friends with his first wife before she died, and they used to go to the church I was in before it went 100% faceplant into Rick Warren stuff, seeker friendly and dumped the literal view of Genesis (never really mentioned prophecy either). They love Tony Campolo too.

He and my friend veered off even further before she died in 2009 and he's the one that attacked me on Facebook a few years back when I was giving some YT links to why it's pre trib not mid trib to my daughter in law when she asked me. Apparently that was offensive to him and he wasn't even asked into that conversation. Prophecy is a closed off roped off part of the Bible to him.

I hope he listens if it comes up. I'm not holding my breath. But I've been praying for God to use me as He sees fit.

Back