What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consumers Finally Get Some Relief From Inflation As Prices Decline for First Month Since 2020

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Staff member
In a surprising turn of events, the cost of consumer goods and services dropped in June, the Department of Labor said Thursday.

This significant decline signals a recent slowdown in inflation, raising hopes that the Federal Reserve might slash high U.S. interest rates in the coming months.

The consumer price index (CPI) dipped by 0.1 percent in June following a flat performance in May. This marks the first decrease since May 2020, when the pandemic’s grip forced the economy into an unprecedented shutdown.

The 12-month inflation rate also eased, falling to 3.0 percent from 3.3 percent, reaching its lowest point since April 2021.

Just last week everything in the dairy section of the grocery store in Cheyenne jumped in prices by 20-30%. I think I'll wait for the revised numbers for June...

I wonder if they have changed the weighting that they use in their calculations? Because I certainly haven't seen any indication of a lessening of prices. In fact food necessities are getting noticeably more expensive. And as very low income people, it is definitely affecting the way we live in a negative way. Thankfully we look to God for our supply, and not anything on this earth. Nevertheless, this current government has been very harmful to the people of this nation.

Way too many leaders of America (govt, finance, academia, etc.) are lying about inflation levels and trends. With $ being so vital you would think the people would have backlashed so loudly and severely that many of them lost their jobs and positions of influence. Why on earth are they not being held accountable for the lack of action and for lies about the severity of inflation and all things money-wise?

IF CPI down, why is everything I pay for going up/ridiculously expensive.
Car and renter's insurance went down going from Missouri to Minnesota, but now the premiums went up, and higher than they were, WITHOUT a claim in the meantime :mad: And veterinary insurance went up 35 percent in one whack :mad:
I can't imagine even trying to make it if I didn't have the VA, or if I had a car payment.
As it is, more going out than coming in (not sustainable)

Had to put off adopting cat(s) (or kitten(s)), and not a lot of variety in meals (mostly cheapest-while-still-eating-clean).

IF CPI down, why is everything I pay for going up/ridiculously expensive.
Car and renter's insurance went down going from Missouri to Minnesota, but now the premiums went up, and higher than they were, WITHOUT a claim in the meantime :mad: And veterinary insurance went up 35 percent in one whack :mad:
I can't imagine even trying to make it if I didn't have the VA, or if I had a car payment.
As it is, more going out than coming in (not sustainable)

Had to put off adopting cat(s) (or kitten(s)), and not a lot of variety in meals (mostly cheapest-while-still-eating-clean).
Us too. Andrea and I are in the same boat. You have our sympathies and our prayers, sister.

I don't notice ANYTHING gone down. I know what I used to pay because I track stuff. In 2020 a gallon of milk cost just under $5 at the same store I bought it at today. It's $6.29 today. Free range eggs were about $6 something a dozen. Now they are $8 something a dozen. All the other stuff shot up. Bread doubled. I don't buy it anymore now- I don't do well with gluten but I notice it in the flyers. There were a few that George liked. Good quality ones.

I buy pretty much the same things as I have in previous years so a weekly grocery shop that used to cost around $70-75 is now costing $110-120 and I'm buying less now that there is just one of me. AND since 2019 I've been doing online grocery shop with store pickup. That means I saved a lot on impulse buys at the store. So the jump is really even a lot higher.

Especially on "real" food at the lower cost end like ground beef, pork steaks, frozen chicken legs or quarters, factory eggs, cheese, apples, oranges, carrots, cabbage, onions, potatoes, broccoli, oats, rice and coffee let alone basic cleaners and toilet paper.

The donuts I used to get for my Parents used to be 0.79, and on sale 2/0.99 or $1
Those same donuts are now $1.49 - 2.09 EACH :mad:

Coffee that my Parents liked has more than doubled in price since pre-covid (glad I don't drink it)

Dog food is now $108 for 40 pounds. Pre-covid, it was $79. Shipping is still free over $75 from the manufacturer.

Clorox bleach (name-brand) used to be $1.99 - 2.29 for the BIG JUG. Now, it's 11.99 and the jug is smaller :mad:

The cheapest distilled white vinegar used to be 0.25 for a gallon. Now over $4 :mad:

Dobie scrubber pads used to be 3 or 4 for 0.79- 0.99 regular price, depending on where purchased. Now, the cheapest ON SALE is 3/$3.99 :mad:

Our electric bill is higher by 5% and we use the same amount and rates are going up in 2025 about 3 years ago the utility said usage was down by customers conserving energy so they had to raise rates by $15 a month :oops:, natural gas/water up 8% this year and we all had and additional $50 sewer charge added 3 years ago and increase coming again 2025, Home insurance up 25% this year and just received our auto insurance that is now going up almost $50 month from $222.13 to 271.97 and my truck is almost 13 years old, house taxes up $300 this year and have gone up every year since 2016, we now pay property tax that almost equals our mortgage payment for each month, these are all items/bills paid before grocery shopping, milk is expensive, Orange juice expensive, BEEF is outrageously expensive I think this country is way over spent and inflation is raging and draining purchasing power, we keep our meals simple and as nutritious as possible, and there are just us two and I don't know how people with 3-4 kids make it day to day especially when you throw in unforeseen issues like calling plumbers/electricians, doctor/health care/meds. auto repair, etc.

I have not tracked actual % increases over the past 4 years but do not see ANYTHING that has actually gone down during those 4 years. EVERYTHING is up and EVERYTHING that we are being told has gone down is a manipulation of the truth/facts. If I sold everyone on this forum a new PC for $500 4 years ago and 6 months ago they were going for $900 but today I am selling them for $800........I still raised/inflated the cost from pre-Covid by $300. The govt and the liberal PR dogs are lying to us. Even if cereal or other items at the store are about the same price, the corporate giants used shrinkflation to get a price increase......without having to raise the price.......which is also a lie. The price changed. That's another big lie.

The things we can avoid or less use/purchase at least do allow some ability to keep our spending down, which often means doing without or doing less of. However, the things we cannot avoid or less use/purchase are hitting everyone hard. That includes vehicles, vehicle maintenance, home purchases, rent, home maintenance, car/life/health/home insurance, taxes, vehicle fuel, etc.

I found something that came down in price!!!!!!!!!

The Mt Olive organic Kosher baby dills are back! The last time I bought a (pint) jar, they were $6.99. Today (still a pint jar), they were $4.79!!!

Still too much, but $2.20 reduction is just over 31 percent less. They need to drop another 2.80 to get to pre-pandemic price :tap:

Unfortunately, OOJ is ON SALE for $5.35 for the not-half-a-gallon-anymore, and that's more than the regular price last week. May be a seasonal increase, as the WF house brand seems sensitive to that across products, and I've seen it as high as $6.99 :mad: It used to be $1.99 or $2.29 for a whole half gallon pre-pandemic :tap:

Back