What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As Christians, are We Becoming Superstitious?

1LoverofGod

Well-known
by Mondo Gonzales

It seems I often start many articles I write with one or more caveats. This one will be no different in order for the content to not be quickly dismissed. No doubt there are plenty of secular and even Christian naysayers, mockers, and cynics when it comes to observing and exposing the way in which current events definitively show we are getting closer and closer to Jesus’ 2nd coming. I am certainly not one of those and look forward eagerly to the day we get called up to meet our Lord in the air.

Having watched prophecy unfold for the last 30 years provides a vantage point of seeing when current events legitimately correlate with clear expositions of Biblical prophetic passages. It has also provided opportunity to note the way many sensationalize the weekly newspaper to fit their premature interpretations of the Scripture.

One example of this was back in the 1990s, Jack Van Impe (one of my prophetic heroes, may he rest in peace) was selling videotapes of how the European Union comprised of 10 nations and how this was in direct fulfillment of Daniel 2. Now, don’t get me wrong, I was faithful not only to buy the video, but also to watch his show every week. He was trying his best to make understandable the prophecy of Daniel 2 with current events.

However, it would be dishonest to say that there wasn’t just a little bit of sensationalism. When there became 13 nations in the European Union, he ended up reinterpreting it to say that 3 of the nations would be removed (Dan 7:24) and thus bringing it back to 10. After the European Union took on member 14 (and now at 27 members), he ended up reinterpreting it once again.

I don’t say this to pick on Jack, because he was an amazing Bible teacher and puts almost everyone else to shame with his verbatim Bible memory. What was lacking was the humility needed in evaluating prophetic events.

This brings me to what I have been seeing lately with the hysteria surrounding the covid19 “pandemic” and how it has caused many Christians to react in ways that are once again a little sensationalistic.

Another caveat, I think it is quite obvious that even though the virus is real (three of my relatives had severe symptoms with it, but recovered), the media has overblown, lied, misled, and fear-mongered from the moment they had opportunity.

Regardless of your political affiliation, I watched as the national media reported with glee various scenarios that would help shut down and damage the national economy in hope of hurting Donald Trump’s reelection bid. You don’t have to be conspiratorial to see that.

However, I have seen some Christian pundits take to their own media presence seeking to sensationalize the supposed connection between covid19 and the potential vaccination efforts, patents, and House Bill numbers introduced in Congress. Most of these have revolved around the association to the number 666.

Now let me ask you a question. How many of you (and me) have heard of or felt a little weird or awkward at various times in the following examples:

Continue Reading

The author really hits on two separate areas.
1) Adjusting one's understanding of prophecy in Scripture to fit current events and
2) Superstition.

Both have been happening for perhaps as long as we've had the Bible.

The 10 Kingdoms of the EU, something that still befuddles individuals from a proper understanding of eschatalogical events was obviously shortsighted as the Bible indicates the global govmint of the antichrist will in fact be global. It would make good sense that the EU would be one of the 10 kingdoms but not all 10. It would also make good sense that the antichrist will come out of the EU, Scripturally speaking.

Add to the above that the Club of Rome has long ago likely provided us a glimpse of the future ten kingdoms...

Some people can't seem to help themselves when it comes to silly superstitions. We see it frequently on these message boards. In Alaska, a long time ago, I was ordering landline phone service. I had 4 children at the time so I asked for a number that would be easy to remember. The rep shared an available number and then immediately added that I wouldn't want it since it contained 666. I told the rep that I'd take it, that Jesus Christ is my Savior and I have nothing to fear from that number.

Needless to say, many can't help themselves when it comes to superstitions.

The author really hits on two separate areas.
1) Adjusting one's understanding of prophecy in Scripture to fit current events and
2) Superstition.

Both have been happening for perhaps as long as we've had the Bible.

The 10 Kingdoms of the EU, something that still befuddles individuals from a proper understanding of eschatalogical events was obviously shortsighted as the Bible indicates the global govmint of the antichrist will in fact be global. It would make good sense that the EU would be one of the 10 kingdoms but not all 10. It would also make good sense that the antichrist will come out of the EU, Scripturally speaking.

Add to the above that the Club of Rome has long ago likely provided us a glimpse of the future ten kingdoms...

Some people can't seem to help themselves when it comes to silly superstitions. We see it frequently on these message boards. In Alaska, a long time ago, I was ordering landline phone service. I had 4 children at the time so I asked for a number that would be easy to remember. The rep shared an available number and then immediately added that I wouldn't want it since it contained 666. I told the rep that I'd take it, that Jesus Christ is my Savior and I have nothing to fear from that number.

Needless to say, many can't help themselves when it comes to superstitions.
Would that be 999 in Australia? *maisey*

Is that really a superstition or simply someone who does not want to be associated with the number of the beast? A superstition in this scenario would be someone who does not want the number 666 because they believe it will cause bad luck. JMHO.

I see it as superstitious, but some may not.
I can not find one definition of superstition that supports your claims. I think it is wrong to call Christians who dont want to be associated with the number 666 superstitious. I dont avoid it out of concern for bad luck,(which would be superstition) or something bad will happen, I avoid it because the bible says its the number of the beast.

I wouldn’t call it superstition but a couple of years ago I had to get a new tag for my truck at the county tag office. I stepped up to one of the service windows and handed the clerk my insurance card, registration, and driver license.

She knew I was going to have to get a new plate. She had three stacks of new license plates beside her, motorcycles, cars, and trucks. She turned around and grabbed the next truck plate off the top of the stack. It was Georgia plate # TK 666. I saw that plate and I think my eyes got wide as saucers. She looked at the plate and then back at me. She then politely said, “Sir, would you have a problem with that plate”? I simply replied, “Yes mam.”

I didn’t protest, I wasn’t disagreeing or difficult and I didn’t have to be, but I would have refused that plate. The lady then picked the plate up and showed it to the other three clerks in the office. All three of them and the clerk I had, said, “They would not have that plate on their car.”

I’m sure there is some attention seeker or atheist that was proud to be the one that got that plate. It’s county issued and I see thousands of plates around town but have not seen that one.

I’m sure there is some attention seeker or atheist that was proud to be the one that got that plate. It’s county issued and I see thousands of plates around town but have not seen that one.

I would have liked that plate because I would have been able to remember the plate number. Whenever I need my plate number, like when checking in to a motel, I have to go out and look at it because I can never remember them. The number 666 is just a number to me. It has some meaning with regards to a bad guy around the end of times, but meanwhile, it's just a number as far as I'm concerned.

I would have liked that plate because I would have been able to remember the plate number. Whenever I need my plate number, like when checking in to a motel, I have to go out and look at it because I can never remember them. The number 666 is just a number to me. It has some meaning with regards to a bad guy around the end of times, but meanwhile, it's just a number as far as I'm concerned.
I guess I could be a wee bit superstitious, because I wouldn’t sleep in room 666 at Motel 6 either :monkey:

TT, I believe the number 13 is considered unlucky in Western nations because there were thirteen people at the Last Supper. Therefore, because it is thought of as being unlucky, builders never number a thirteenth floor in a building: they just skip to 14 and go from there. The idiotic thing about it is there is always a thirteenth floor in a building taller than 12 floors; it's just numbered 14. So a truly superstitious person should never work or stay on the fourteenth floor of any building.

TT, I believe the number 13 is considered unlucky in Western nations because there were thirteen people at the Last Supper. Therefore, because it is thought of as being unlucky, builders never number a thirteenth floor in a building: they just skip to 14 and to from there. The idiotic thing about it is there is always a thirteenth floor in a building taller than 12 floors; it's just numbered 14. So a truly superstitious person should never work or stay on the fourteenth floor of any building.
Thats interesting because I always assumed it was because of the bad luck/superstition of Friday the 13th. Which now makes me wonder where this superstition came from.

What if someone is too superstitious to believe in superstition? Ahhh, deep thinking….:lol:

Perhaps my definition of what is superstition is not as clear. I do know that I routinely walk under ladders, regularly step on cracks in the sidewalk, laugh at black cats, never feel the need to knock on wood, and a rabbits foot belongs on a rabbit, not on a key chain….

I do however hold the line with my name being associated with 666. Not out of fear of bad luck, or anything else, I just avoid any association between the two.

Call it whatever you want, just dont call me late for dinner:)

In some countries Friday the thirteenth is not considered unlucky. In Spain the unlucky day is Tuesday the thirteenth. And in Italy it is the seventeenth day of the month that is unlucky. In fact, anything numbered seventeen is unlucky. Why seventeen? Blame is on the Romans. In Roman numerals seventeen is written XVII, which is an anagram of VIXI, the Latin word meaning "I have lived"...which implies death. All cultures have superstitions, something I think Satan encourages. They are not rooted in logic or reality, but they are powerful to control the actions of people.

I was brought up amid many superstitions --dropping a knife or fork, spilling salt, breaking a mirror, walking under s ladder, opening an umbrella indoors, putting a shoe or shoes on a table, and on and on and on-- but after I.got saved, I began to realize that superstitions are ridiculous and that my fate is controlled by God Almighty, my Lord and my Savior, the King of the Universe, Maker of All Things. So whenever I found myself thinking superstitiously, I consciously rejected the superstition and acted in opposition to whatever that superstition dictated I should do. Sometimes it wasn't easy, because Satan is the master of inserting fear into our minds. The antidote to that, I discovered, is to realize just how supremely powerful God is, and how superabundantly he loves me.

So, if anybody is living with superstitions that affect their actions in any way, intentionally violate the superstition and actively place the full faith for your well-being in God. I guarantee you will be set free. After all, as it says in Galatians 5:1-- "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Therefore do not let yourself be bound up again by the yoke of slavery."

In some countries Friday the thirteenth is not considered unlucky. In Spain the unlucky day is Tuesday the thirteenth. And in Italy it is the seventeenth day of the month that is unlucky. In fact, anything numbered seventeen is unlucky. Why seventeen? Blame is on the Romans. In Roman numerals seventeen is written XVII, which is an anagram of VIXI, the Latin word meaning "I have lived"...which implies death. All cultures have superstitions, something I think Satan encourages. They are not rooted in logic or reality, but they are powerful to control the actions of people.

I was brought up amid many superstitions --dropping a knife or fork, spilling salt, breaking a mirror, walking under s ladder, opening an umbrella indoors, putting a shoe or shoes on a table, and on and on and on-- but after I.got saved, I began to realize that superstitions are ridiculous and that my fate is controlled by God Almighty, my Lord and my Savior, the King of the Universe, Maker of All Things. So whenever I found myself thinking superstitiously, I consciously rejected the superstition and acted in opposition to whatever that superstition dictated I should do. Sometimes it wasn't easy, because Satan is the master of inserting fear into our minds. The antidote to that, I discovered, is to realize just how supremely powerful God is, and how superabundantly he loves me.

So, if anybody is living with superstitions that affect their actions in any way, intentionally violate the superstition and actively place the full faith for your well-being in God. I guarantee you will be set free. After all, as it says in Galatians 5:1-- "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Therefore do not let yourself be bound up again by the yoke of slavery."
I was born on the 13th.

Back