What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US water utilities targeted by foreign hackers, prompting calls for cybersecurity overhaul

1LoverofGod

Well-known
The tiny Aliquippa water authority in western Pennsylvania was perhaps the least-suspecting victim of an international cyberattack.

It had never had outside help in protecting its systems from a cyberattack, either at its existing plant that dates to the 1930s or the new $18.5 million one it is building.

Then it — along with several other water utilities — was struck by what federal authorities say are Iranian-backed hackers targeting a piece of equipment specifically because it was Israeli-made.

"If you told me to list 10 things that would go wrong with our water authority, this would not be on the list," said Matthew Mottes, the chairman of the authority that handles water and wastewater for about 22,000 people in the woodsy exurbs around a one-time steel town outside Pittsburgh.

More

I remember BC Hydro when George worked there --was quite concerned about a few attempts on their sites - it was just after 911 when the Muslims were trying to do more damage. They quickly "hardened" their sites and it stopped. Now the only thing that stops the power is high wind storms knocking down lines.

The water and communications are equally vulnerable- water treatment and testing is so variable here depending on the area so that remains really vulnerable to someone putting something in a reservoir. I don't know about communications.

Rail lines are another vital area that needs more protection. George enjoys watching train stuff, and lately the theft problem for rail is severe especially in the port areas of California. But here in Vancouver there is increasing criminal activity around the ports. Trucking and rail are affected.

I remember BC Hydro when George worked there --was quite concerned about a few attempts on their sites - it was just after 911 when the Muslims were trying to do more damage. They quickly "hardened" their sites and it stopped. Now the only thing that stops the power is high wind storms knocking down lines.

The water and communications are equally vulnerable- water treatment and testing is so variable here depending on the area so that remains really vulnerable to someone putting something in a reservoir. I don't know about communications.

Rail lines are another vital area that needs more protection. George enjoys watching train stuff, and lately the theft problem for rail is severe especially in the port areas of California. But here in Vancouver there is increasing criminal activity around the ports. Trucking and rail are affected.
The FBI started collecting data from cargo thefts nationally several years ago like it does murders and rapes. They added cargo theft category to stolen property in the uniform crime reporting (UCR) system. That system has since been replaced, or is still migrating, to National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS), which includes more information, including about victims.

Back