What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US House censures Rashida Tlaib for ‘From the river to the sea,’ anti-Israel comments

1LoverofGod

Well-known
The U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday voted 234-188 to censure Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich), a move one step below expelling a House member, for widely-criticized comments she made about Israel.

The censure proposal by GOP representative Richard McCormick of Georgia accused Tlaib of “promoting false narratives” and calling for the destruction of Israel after she used the phrase “From the river to the sea” in a video posted to social media.

In the video, Tlaib also accused U.S. President Joe Biden of supporting “the genocide of the Palestinian people,” and called on him to back a ceasefire in the war between Israel and the Hamas terrorists in Gaza.

Tlaib later claimed that “From the river to the sea” is a “call for freedom, human rights, and peaceful coexistence, not death, destruction, or hate.”
The phrase “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” is often used in anti-Israel demonstrations around the world and refers to the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea, which encompasses all of Israel’s territory.

More

The Jordan to the Med is only the current political boundaries of Israel. The deed given by God to Abraham specifies the Nile to the Euphrates all the way up to Lebanon.

18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
Genesis 15:18, KJV

1 Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,
2 Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.
3 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.
4 From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.
Joshua 1:1-4, KJV

In short it's no more than a "public rebuke".
Like scolding a child in public.
Pathetic that she has not gotten what she deserves because it's been a repetitive public use of language of anti-Semitism with support for terrorists who call for the annihilation of Israel .
She needs to go. Expelled from Congress.

"A vote to censure another member of Congress does not hold any other power beyond a public condemning of that member’s behavior. It does not expel a member from Congress or deny the rights or privileges of that member within Congress.

The Senate website says a censure can have a “powerful psychological effect” on the member and can subsequently threaten the relationships they have with their colleagues. The House website notes that a censure makes the House’s “deep disapproval” of a member publicly known but does not warrant an expulsion.

A censure alone would also not remove a member from their committee assignments, but stripping a member from their committees could be an additional punishment to the censure."

Source:

And now she doubled down on her rant:

“From the river to the sea is an aspirational call for freedom, human rights, and peaceful coexistence, not death, destruction, or hate,” Tlaib wrote on Friday. “My work and advocacy is always centered in justice and dignity for all people no matter faith or ethnicity.”

And

“It’s a shame my colleagues are more focused on silencing me than they are on saving lives, as the death toll in Gaza surpasses 10,000,” Tlaib said. “Many of them have shown me that Palestinian lives simply do not matter to them, but I still do not police their rhetoric or actions. Rather than acknowledge the voice and perspective of the only Palestinian American in Congress, my colleagues have resorted to distorting my positions in resolutions filled with obvious lies. I have repeatedly denounced the horrific targeting and killing of civilians by Hamas and the Israeli government, and have mourned the Israeli and Palestinian lives lost.”

Back