What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Government and 17 States Sue Amazon in Landmark Monopoly Case

Ghoti Ichthus

Genesis 18:32, 2 Chronicles 7:14, Acts 5:29
I hope this doesn't end up causing me to benefit less (or at all) from my Prime membership, or limit my access to supplements that make a huge difference in my health. Especially those that I get from Great Britain via Amazon, for which US equivalent is not available, inferior, or prohibitively expensive.

From a end times perspective, I wonder if the government thinks there's a need to break up such a large, strong, independent (non-government) retailer and shipper so it can better control consumers and access to/ration/apportion goods and services. From a historic economic perspective, this sounds a lot like when Ma Bell was broken up into the Baby Bells. Technologically, this was not good for consumers, especially those in rural areas.

US Government and 17 States Sue Amazon in Landmark Monopoly Case​

By Brian Fung, CNN Updated 11:07 PM EDT, Tue September 26, 2023

"The US government and 17 states are suing Amazon in a landmark monopoly case reflecting years of allegations that the e-commerce giant abused its economic dominance and harmed fair competition.
The groundbreaking lawsuit by the Federal Trade Commission and 17 attorneys general marks the government’s sharpest attack yet against Amazon, a company that started off selling books on the internet but has since become known as “the everything store,” expanding into selling a vast range of consumer products, creating a globe-spanning logistics network and becoming a powerhouse in other technologies such as cloud computing.
The 172-page complaint alleges Amazon unfairly promotes its own platform and services at the expense of third-party sellers who rely on the company’s e-commerce marketplace for distribution."

"The states involved in the case are Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin."

"The complaint was filed in the US District Court for the Western District of Washington, and seeks a court order blocking Amazon from engaging in the allegedly anticompetitive behavior.
The FTC isn’t ruling out a possible breakup of Amazon — nor the potential for individual executives to be named in a landmark antitrust case against the e-commerce giant, according to Khan."

More

Back