What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE NEPHILIM

Andy C

Well-known
A Bible Study by Jack Kelley

“When men began to increase on earth and daughters were born to them, the divine beings saw how beautiful the daughters of men were and they took wives from among those that pleased them. It was then, and later too, that the Nephilim appeared on earth – when the divine beings cohabited with the daughters of men, who bore them offspring. They were the heroes of old, the men of renown.” (Genesis 6:2-4, from a Jewish translation of the Torah.)

Put their name in the title of a book and whether it’s fiction or non-fiction, chances are it’ll zoom to the top of the bestseller lists, especially if you hint at deviant sex, pyramids, UFOs and the end of the world. But who were the Nephilim really, and why is everyone so fascinated by them?

In Those Days​

The Hebrew word nephilim means fallen ones, sometimes translated giant because the Greek word for nephilim is gigantes. Who you think they were depends in large part on how you were taught to interpret Genesis 6:2-4 above. In Biblical circles, there are three schools of thought concerning this, but a little digging will soon have you convinced that some folks who don’t know any other passage in the Bible know this one. And if you throw in their interpretations you’ve soon got a whole bunch more. We’ll focus on the so-called Biblical ones.

The first is that the phrase “sons of god” refers to royalty, explaining that kings were often considered god-like by their subjects. According to this view these kings went around their kingdoms scooping up all the beautiful girls and putting them into harems for their own personal pleasure. It offers no explanation for the offspring such behavior could have produced preferring instead to disconnect the birth of giants from the practice of collecting harems full of beautiful girls. A small minority of Jewish scholars held this view at one time but most rejected it, as the Jewish translation above demonstrates.

The second is that “sons of god” refers to the line of Seth, the third son of Adam and Eve who remained faithful to God, while “daughters of men” refers to female descendants of first son Cain, the rebellious line. This interpretation appeared about 400AD and was the first challenge to the “Angel” view that a majority of both Jews and Christians had held prior to that time. Some prominent scholars still teach this view.

There’s no clear consensus on why this view came to be, but the 5th century seems to be the agreed upon timing. Some say it’s because the Church was moving away from belief in the supernatural by 400 AD, while others say the worship of angels was actually becoming more popular by that time. Both viewpoints conclude that as a result, the “angel” view became an embarrassment in the Church, so an alternative interpretation was sought.

Thanks for posting this, Andy. Good read.

From the article:
the “angel” view became an embarrassment in the Church, so an alternative interpretation was sought.

I agree totally, and this is the problem with Bible interpretation through the ages.
Men with infinite minds think they can decide what "can and can't be true in the Bible". What pride!

For my thoughts‭ ‭are‭ not your thoughts‭, neither ‭are‭ your ways‭ my ways‭, saith‭ the LORD‭.‭
‭For ‭as‭ the heavens‭ are higher‭‭ than the earth‭, so are my ways‭ higher‭‭ than your ways‭, and my thoughts‭ than your thoughts‭. (
Isa 55:8,9)

Also from the article:
And that brings us to the third interpretation, to which I subscribe, that the Biblical account is to be taken literally.

Amen!

Lastly, I toally agree that we don't as of yet excactly know how things wll an out in the last days

Only time will tell.
But one thing we can know for certain right now. There was a 5th Kingdom in Nebuchadnezzar’s dream. It was symbolized by a stone cut without hands that fell upon the statue and ground it into powder so fine that the wind blew every trace of it away. (Dan. 2:34-35 & 44-45) This is the Kingdom of our Lord, and when He comes He will destroy every remnant of the previous kingdoms of mankind. His Kingdom will never be defeated nor given to another, for He will reign forever and ever, and we’ll be right there with Him. Amen. Come Lord

Excellent read, thanks for posting. Going to bookmark this one.

From the article:
And that’s where it gets interesting. The King James rendering of verse 43 reads, “And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.”(Daniel 2:43)

Who are they, the ones mingling themselves with the seed of men? Obviously, they’re not human or the passage wouldn’t make any sense. Are non-humans creating a hybrid race for some purpose yet unknown? Do they dwell quietly among us even now as some contend? Will the antichrist be the ultimate example of the nephilim, or will he have nephilim forces at his command during the Great Tribulation? Only time will tell.
This part was really interesting. It reminded me of a Christian from Africa I met that had some beliefs on this. That the nephilim/bad angels were amongst us and they were in powerful positions around the globe helping Satan's will. This person said that what we see/hear/know in America is censored and things are very different in other places around the world. I was/still am neutral on this person's commentary but it is just an interesting notation in reference to this article. God bless.

Back