What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supreme Court: Bar exam will no longer be required to become attorney in Washington State

The bar exam will no longer be required to become a lawyer in Washington, the state Supreme Court ruled in a pair of orders Friday.

The court approved alternative ways to show competency and earn a law license after appointing a task force to examine the issue in 2020.

The Bar Licensure Task Force found that the traditional exam “disproportionally and unnecessarily blocks” marginalized groups from becoming practicing attorneys and is “at best minimally effective” for ensuring competency, according to a news release from the Washington Administrative Office of the Courts.

Washington is the second state to not require the bar exam, following Oregon, which implemented the change at the start of this year. Other states, including Minnesota, Nevada, South Dakota and Utah, are examining alternative pathways to licensure.

More

Well, if some cities hire non citizens to be police officers, nothing surprises me anymore.

"Some Blue States Aim To Bolster Sagging Police Numbers By Hiring Non-Citizens"

This nation is in trouble. I know America isn't mentioned in Bible Prophecy, but many here still have the salvation invitation open for whoever believes and confesses Jesus as Lord and Savior. May they seek God while He can be found.

"Seek the LORD while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near"
Isaiah 55:6
🙏

I think they're removing wrong thing. I think the Bar Exam should still be required, but the requirement for graduation from an ABA-accredited law school/program should be modified. I think the path to licensure should more mirror the medical doctor one, which allows graduates of foreign medical schools to take the national licensing exam for MD or DO. So, maybe allow someone to take the State Bar Exam if he or she has specific types and years of experience, education, and/or graduates from an other-than-ABA-accredited JD program.

The ABA now accredits some online programs, so the in-residence barrier to attending law school has been removed.

If I were a lawyer in a state that didn't mandate the Bar Exam, if I had taken the Bar, I'd ensure prospective clients knew I had taken the Bar Exam, plus the scores if I had done particularly well.

The only other thing I can think of that might be a solution is to allow licensed Paralegals and/or Legal Technicians with specific training and experience to take care of specified infractions, minor misdemeanor offenses, certain small claims, and certain civil matters, which are routine in nature and don't really require an attorney, but people could still hire them for such cases. Other cases plus appeals would still require a real lawyer. This would help save $$$ and reduce court backlogs.

But no, to eliminating the Bar Exam requirement for licensure as a real attorney.

Our son just reached bar certification and is now working these past 4 or so months in south KC and he is saying that this is similar to other rogue blue states and blue cities that come up with ludicrous liberating measures or just plain stops enforcing valid, righteous, and constitutional laws. Some will do it, but most won't. Hopefully he is right.

Our son just reached bar certification and is now working these past 4 or so months in south KC and he is saying that this is similar to other rogue blue states and blue cities that come up with ludicrous liberating measures or just plain stops enforcing valid, righteous, and constitutional laws. Some will do it, but most won't. Hopefully he is right.

Congrats! I'm sure you're very proud of your son :)

:bouncies:

Back