What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD

Ronnie

Charter Member
[I thought this should be in the Evangelism forum.]

SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD
Text of sermon by the Rev. Jonathan Edwards
A Sermon Preached at Enfield, July 8th, 1741
At a Time of Great Awakenings, and Attended with Remarkable Impressions on many of the Hearers.

This sermon on YouTube

The result or effects of Johnathan Edward’s preaching.

Close to the onset to me being born again, I heard that some people was hugging the polls, or whatever, to keep from falling into hell. During this sermon.

Those rank sinners were so convicted hearing Edward preach and that particular sermon that they had a real fear of slipping into the flames alive that they had to hold onto something solid. :preach:

Yup, great semon that started the Great Awakening. It is rumored that he only preached it one time and he read it monotone off of a written copy. Pretty amazing.

I feel sorry that great expositors like John Edwards were calvinist and likely even doubted their own eternal security.

Yup, great semon that started the Great Awakening. It is rumored that he only preached it one time and he read it monotone off of a written copy. Pretty amazing.

I feel sorry that great expositors like John Edwards were calvinist and likely even doubted their own eternal security.
Although he delivered his sermons in a controlled monotone, the images that he created in the minds of his parishioners unleashed a religious revival in the 1730s that paved the way for the Great Awakening that swept through all of British North America in the 1740s.

Back