What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retired US officials laud Taiwan after pro-independence presidential candidate wins election

Growing in Grace

Well-known
Retired U.S. officials met with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen on Monday and praised the island’s democratic processes under which it elected a new president and legislature over the weekend in defiance of China’s claim of sovereignty over Taiwan and threat to annex it by military force.

"Taiwan’s democracy has set a shining example for the world, a democratic success story based on transparency, the rule of law and respect for human rights and freedoms," former national security adviser Stephen Hadley said.

America’s commitment to Taiwan is "rock solid," he said.

Retired U.S. officials met with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen on Monday and praised the island’s democratic processes under which it elected a new president and legislature over the weekend in defiance of China’s claim of sovereignty over Taiwan and threat to annex it by military force.

"Taiwan’s democracy has set a shining example for the world, a democratic success story based on transparency, the rule of law and respect for human rights and freedoms," former national security adviser Stephen Hadley said.

America’s commitment to Taiwan is "rock solid," he said.

Now to see if Biden will actually support Taiwan in China's response.

It was so odd when I was trying to find any news about Taiwan's election being pro democratic. All the google search had was how awful this was and how angry China is. I had to search Fox news.

Maybe God is directing Biden on some issues?

Biden to send delegation to Taiwan after island’s election​

The move is likely to irritate Beijing, which claims the self-ruling democracy as its territory and has called the election “a choice between war and peace.”

I also wonder what whoever pulls Biden's strings wants... status quo for now, limited conflict with quick takeover, or outright war. My guess is it's probably not the first option unless there is some kind of shift or gain that makes it worth it. I guess reading Pete's work for all these years has me thinking in terms of dialectics.

China has appeared reluctant to use their military in other than bullying actions. If they ever actually go to war over anything and see some success... I imagine the world will change quite a bit.

They have no guarantee of success if they attack Taiwan. They could certainly demolish Taiwan yet not achieve a beachhead until there's nothing left on the island worth taking. And, it could be quite costly to the Chinese mainland.

Back