What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put Your Faith in Jesus, Not A Man :: By Nathele Graham

Andy C

Well-known
“Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with timbrel and harp. For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation. Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand” (Psalm 149:3-6).

People like to cheer. Whether it’s watching a small boy step up to the t-ball stand and actually hit the ball or cheering for a professional baseball player when he hits a winning home run. We get excited and jump with joy and shout. Political rallies also bring out much enthusiasm, as our favorite candidate promises lower taxes, less government, more freedoms, and much more. The problem is that home run hitters don’t always hit the ball over the fence, and political promises are easily forgotten.

I wonder why we get so thrilled over these temporary things but have no joy in what really matters. What matters for eternity is putting our faith in Jesus Christ. Why put your faith in a mere human to bring joy and happiness when Jesus forgives the sins of a truly repentant person and gives eternal life?

Jesus is the only One who deserves our praise, but very few church services have any enthusiasm. Preachers preach watered-down sermons to the point that these sermons have become lullabies, and many people use that time to take a nap. I attended a church once where the preacher spent a good chunk of the sermon boasting of his many theological degrees and quoting rock and roll singers and secular psychologists. There was no joy in the Lord.

The first of the Ten Commandments says, “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” (Exodus 20:3).

In today’s world, we seem to have forgotten that truth. Christians aren’t under the Law because Jesus fulfilled the Law, but He didn’t destroy it. “Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil” (Matthew 5:17).

That means that Jesus shed His own blood as the sacrifice for our sin, and you must believe in that sacrifice for redemption. God’s moral law is still in force. We know that we sin if we steal, lie, covet, etc., but through Jesus Christ, our sins are forgiven. We no longer have to shed the blood of animals in order to cover our sin. Animal blood could never take sin away. Jesus was God incarnate; His blood was pure and untainted by sin. Salvation only comes by true faith in Jesus. He was fully God, so He could redeem us, and He was fully human so that He was our kinsman. Because of Jesus Christ, we can live eternally with Him.

Why don’t Christians get excited over that? Preachers need to study Scripture to see how Peter spoke to people on the day of Pentecost and brought 3,000 men to salvation. The Apostles had no problem confronting sin, even though it was politically incorrect to call sin, sin. God’s truth was more important to them than being seeker-friendly. Jesus was God and chose to step into His creation. He knew that He would be killed, but His love was perfect, and He fulfilled every prophecy concerning His life and death. His sacrifice is something we need to really understand and praise Him with all of our heart. Put your faith in Jesus, not a man.

Back