What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pastor Tony Evans Steps Down

Matthew6:33

Set your face like flint - Isaiah 50:7

Tony Evans Pausing Ministry over Unnamed ‘Sin’​

Pastor Tony Evans of the Dallas megachurch Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship has announced that he’s stepping away from public ministry on account of sins he committed years ago, sharing in part on his church’s website:
“When we fall short of that standard due to sin, we are required to repent and restore our relationship with God. A number of years ago, I fell short of that standard. I am, therefore, required to apply the same biblical standard of repentance and restoration to myself that I have applied to others.”
…While I have committed no crime, I did not use righteous judgment in my actions. In light of this, I am stepping away from my pastoral duties and am submitting to a healing and restoration process established by the elders. This will afford me a needed time of spiritual recovery and healing”

With nary a hint to congregants or ministry supporters of what this entailed- did he engage in an adulterous sexual affair, cheat on his old wife with his new one, get filmed being a bully with anger problems, or pull a Matt Chandler and joke coarsely about alcohol with a woman he wasn’t familiar with- those answers do not seem forthcoming. For all we know he’s pulling a “Johnny Hunt” who famously argued that his own romantic entanglements with his non-wife were no one’s business but his own.

However, the most disappointing part of the announcement is not that it happened at all but that it took so long. Despite being a significant author and highly influential in evangelical circles, Evans should have been disqualified long ago for his numerous theological crimes, much less personal foibles.

Read more...
https://protestia.com/2024/06/11/it...tony-evans-pausing-ministry-over-unnamed-sin/

I like Tony Evans and I used to listen to him often. He was one of the better evangelical teachers that you could hear on the radio. As time went by and I started hearing some of his strange unbiblical doctrine such as transdispensationalism, inclusivism, pelagianism (the denial of original sin), I started to getting an uneasy feeling in my spirit so I stopped listening to him.

It is sad to say but this was probably a long time coming. 😢

:pray: That God straightens him out like only He can do.

I like Tony Evans and I used to listen to him often. He was one of the better evangelical teachers that you could hear on the radio. As time went by and I started hearing some of his strange unbiblical doctrine such as transdispensationalism, inclusivism, pelagianism (the denial of original sin), I started to getting an uneasy feeling in my spirit so I stopped listening to him.

It is sad to say but this was probably a long time coming. 😢

:pray: That God straightens him out like only He can do.
I've listened to him several times and God used him to really help me through a tough trial :pray:

I do not believe that any time a man of God, even a well-known man of God, is caught up in sin we should rejoice, or smirk, or criticize in any way. We should be horrified for his sake, and immediately go to prayer for him. We need to remember who WE are: we are no better than they, and they are no worse than we are at heart. Galatians 6:1 tells us when a brother is overcome in a sin, we are to restore him with gentleness, considering ourselves for we also are prey to temptation and also can fall.

The ministry of Tony Evans has helped countless people, a few of whom I know. I may not be a fan of his, but I will not allow Satan to place me as an enemy of his. He is a brother; he deserves my love and my compassion, not my condemnation or my judgment. Judgment is God's work; mine is to love and pray. So I pray for him, and I also pray for those who have sat under his ministry ... that they their faith in Christ may not be shaken by their pastor's weakness and sin.

It do not believe that anytime a man of God, even a well-known man of God, is caught up in sin we should rejoice, or smirk, or criticize in any way. We should be horrified for his sake, and immediately go to prayer for him. We need to remember who WE are: we are no better than they, and they are no worse than we are at heart. Galatians 6:1 tells us when a brother is overcome in a sin, we are to restore him with gentleness, considering ourselves for we also are prey to temptation and also can fall.

The ministry of Tony Evans has helped countless people, a few of whom I know. I may not be a fan of his, but I will not allow Satan to place me as an enemy of his. He is a brother; he deserves my love and my compassion, not my condemnation or my judgment. Judgment is God's work; mine is to love and pray. So I pray for him, and I also pray for those who have sat under his ministry ... that they their faith in Christ may not be shaken by their pastor's weakness and sin.
I agree. We all have massive planks in our eyes and most of us are not pastors with the higher level of accounting on this side.

Back