What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSA secretly buying Americans’ data without a warrant

1LoverofGod

Well-known
Back
Logo: The Washington Times

Sign in
Subscribe
Newsletter signup
Gift subscriptions
Customer service
News
Policy
Commentary
Sports
Sponsored
Events
Video/Podcasts
Games

HIGHER GROUND
Holocaust Remembrance Day: Survivor Jochen Wurfl speaks on Hitler, Hamas and hope
HOMENEWSSECURITY
NSA secretly buying Americans’ data without a warrant
In this June 16, 2013, file photo, users browse the Internet in an underground station in Hong Kong. As hacks abound, some companies are testing workers' security-savvy by sending spoof phishing emails to see who bites. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)
In this June 16, 2013, file … more >
By Stephen Dinan
The Washington Times
Thursday, January 25, 2024
The National Security Agency has secretly been buying Americans’ internet records and using them for spying purposes without obtaining a warrant, a senior senator revealed Thursday.

Sen. Ron Wyden, Oregon Democrat, said the practice had been a “legal gray area,” with data brokers quietly obtaining and reselling the internet “metadata” without the users’ consent. He said the NSA has been trying to keep the whole thing under wraps.

In a letter to Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines, the senator said the government needs a “wake-up call,” and he called for new rules limiting purchases only to data that Americans have consented to be sold.

He also asked for Ms. Haines to take an inventory of what the government already has and toss out any information that doesn’t meet the standard of consent.

More

I think this is as case of locking the barn door after the horse escapes :( TPTB know pretty much everything via SSN, DL, IRS, etc. The only way to fix this is for SCOTUS to compel destruction of all the purchased data, and for financial institutions, credit bureaus, medical, schools, etc. to stop using SSN for universal ID.

Additionally, the internet sites buying and selling people's information and creating social credit scores/online reputation scores need to be taken down. Places like Checkmate, BeenVerified, MyLife, etc. need to be taken down and new versions outlawed. These websites contribute to people being victimized through identity theft. stalking, domestic violence, extortion, fraud, scams, etc., etc., etc.

Short article from the Federal Trade Commission

The collection of information by the government doesn't surprise me at all. What surprises me is that they are buying it and trying to keep it in a legal gray area instead of just outright ignoring the law and collecting the information directly. Of course I'm sure they're probably doing that to but we're not hearing about it.

Back