What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nearly 450 hospital patients in Massachusetts could have been exposed to hepatitis and HIV

1LoverofGod

Well-known
Hundreds of endoscopy patients at a Massachusetts hospital were potentially exposed to blood-borne pathogens, the health care facility reported.

Nearly 450 patients treated at Salem Hospital in Massachusetts could have been exposed to hepatitis and HIV due to improperly administered IV drugs.

"Earlier this year, Salem Hospital was made aware of an isolated practice involving a small portion of endoscopy patients who were potentially exposed to infection due to the administration of their intravenous medication in a manner not consistent with our best practice," according to a statement from Mass General Brigham (MGB), the health care system Salem Hospital belongs to. (Endoscopies involve a doctor inserting a tubelike instrument into a patient's body to capture images of specific tissues.)

More

My mom, who’s been home with the lord for many years, used to donate blood regularly. She was exposed to hepatitis by careless staff with Red Cross. She was later diagnosed with it. From that day forward they would no longer take her blood.

When she was in the hospital and needed blood. She was billed the full price for the few pints she received. Over the years she had given gallons but when she needed it was billed for it.

I quit giving them blood after that and when asked why, I told them because the way you treated my mother.

It seems our hospitals are becoming dangerous places, more dangerous than they already used to be.
My next door neighbor was also my mailman and a good friend got COPD a few years after he retired. One night an ambulance came to his home and took him to the hospital. I asked his son the next day what happened and he said dad was having trouble breathing and his O2 was low and maybe his machine was not working properly. The very next day his son called me and said his machine was faulty and he was breathing well, O2 was good and should be home next day. A week later he was still not home so called his son, he said Dr. ordered a colonoscopy since he was in hospital and had never had one done. During the procedure something went wrong and they punctured him, he got infection and sepsis, but after 3 weeks was recovering would be home soon. Another week he was home alright, home with Lord, he got covid. Talked with him many times about our Jesus, he told me one day he had asked the Lord to forgive him (Praise the Lord) and that he was praying every night, that was a couple weeks before his breathing issue put him in hospital. My Dr. says it's time for me to have a colonoscopy, I told him I'm not comfortable with that right now.

About 20 years ago, my former husband was potentially exposed to HIV during prostate biopsy at the VA. AFAIK, he never came up positive.
Within a year of that, I was notified I had potentially been exposed to HIV due to dental implements not being properly sterilized at a different VA. Someone was wiping the implements off before packaging and autoclaving. Never came up positive.

:thankyou: JESUS!!! :thankyou:

This year, Dad ended up with a UTI as a result of the foley catheter they gave him at the hospital, and has had to have one ever since :mad: Foleys are UTIs waiting to happen, especially in elderly with cognitive and coordination issues :mad:

There's a name for this, it's called Iatrogenic Infection or Iatrogenesis. It means Hospital or Dr induced disease, complication or death. It's a lot more common than people think. Before antibiotics people justifiably feared going to hospital, because of infections caught there let alone surgical errors or other problems they wouldn't have if they stayed out of the place. It's where people used to go to die.

Then a combination of rigid sterile procedures and later antibiotics dropped the death and injury/disease rate in this category and people began to trust the hospitals and doctors. But the very antibiotics became the reason for sliding standards of infection control and sterile procedures. The bean counters in administration began to push the teams to speed things up-- which results in things like improper sterile procedures ensuring sterile equipment, no time to double or triple check, pressure to do surgeries faster, more patients than a nurse can manage safely, that sort of thing. I heard younger nurses shrug off criticism by saying that antibiotics could fix things. Of course that was before the HIV AIDS epidemic of the 80's hit.

I trained in 75-77 and we were taught that the rate is actually far higher than the public realizes.

I can't remember the stats back then but here's an older National Post article on the situation in Canada January 2015

"“You have to tell people that patients are getting hurt,” said Dr. Robson. “As long as the public doesn’t realize that one in 13 people coming into the hospital will experience some kind of adverse event — and that’s the conservative estimate — then there isn’t any pressure to say, ‘Listen, fix these damn things.’

Back