What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MATT. 24 AND THE PRE-TRIB RAPTURE

Andy C

Well-known
A Bible Study by Jack Kelley

I’ve received several questions again about various rapture positions. Several of these questions have to do with the claim that in the Olivet Discourse (Matt. 24-25) Jesus in effect said the Church will have to endure all of the seven years of Daniel’s 70th Week including the Great Tribulation. In this study, I will attempt to show why He could not have done so.

This won’t be a verse by verse study of the Olivet Discourse, but rather a look at the verses within the passage that people use to support something other than a pre-trib view. If you want a verse by verse study you can go to my four-part series entitled “The End times According To Jesus.”

It’s important to begin any study of this nature with a review of the overall context of the Olivet Discourse because it’s the most important factor in understanding what Jesus was really saying and to whom He was saying it. It will also help us see what was going on in the disciples’ minds.

It was just a couple of days before the crucifixion. Jesus and His disciples were walking over the Mt. of Olives toward Bethany where they were staying at the home of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. The sun was getting low in the late afternoon sky, casting a soft golden light on the white Temple and its surrounding buildings. It was such a beautiful sight the disciples called it to the Lord’s attention.

In reply, Jesus said, “Do you see all these things? I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.” (Matt. 24:2).

It was the second time they had heard Jesus say this. The first time was a couple of days earlier on what we now call Palm Sunday when He had told the people that because they didn’t recognize the time of His coming, the city would be destroyed (Luke 19:41-44).

A response to questions about Matt 24:40, and why its not a rapture verse.

Question: First of all, thank you so much for your ministry. My question is pertaining to Matthew 24. I believe as you do that this chapter is addressed to Israel and regards the 70th week of Daniel. I’m a bit confused about verses 40 – 42. It sounds rapture like in its description of two together and one taken but according to verse 29 it happens after the tribulation. Is this part of the gathering that the angels do in verse 31 or is it something altogether different?

Answer: I think part of the problem comes from the way the passage is translated. The Greek word translated “taken” means to receive unto oneself and the one translated “left” means to put away. In the rapture believers are received unto the Lord, but unbelievers are simply left in place, not put away. Seen in this light and knowing that this happens after the 2nd Coming makes it easier to understand that Matt. 24:40-42 is an overview of the parables that follow in Matt. 24:45 – 25:46, where believing tribulation survivors are received into the Kingdom and non-believers are put away into eternal punishment.

A key part of the article below, that some disagree on, but IMO, scripture is clear on the below:

“The Church is the Bride of Christ, the most highly regarded group in the history of humankind, and the one with whom Jesus is closest. Failing to mention us even once in His signature discussion of the end times can only be explained by the fact that throughout the Olivet Discourse the Lord was focused on Israel and not the Church. Therefore any attempt to use this passage in reference to the rapture of the Church requires taking portions of it out of context, and in some cases, a reinterpretation of the text is necessary as well. The Pre-Trib Rapture of the Church remains the only position that is consistent with a literal interpretation of the Scriptures. You can almost hear the footsteps of the Messiah”.

Back