What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Los Angeles area sees catastrophic flooding as powerful atmospheric river slams Southern California

1LoverofGod

Well-known
LOS ANGELES – A dire situation is unfolding in California as a dangerous and potentially life-threatening atmospheric river storm continues to slam the state with torrential rain, destructive wind gusts and catastrophic flash flooding.

A three-hour radar loop showing where rain (green) and snow (blue) are ongoing. Flash Flood Warnings are indicated in green, while Flash Flood Emergencies are indicated in pink. Severe Thunderstorm Warnings are indicated in yellow. Tornado Warnings are indicated in red, while Tornado Warnings with a confirmed tornado are indicated in purple.

The "high risk" is the highest rung on NOAA's flash flood threat scale and is only issued under the most dire of flooding forecasts.

The storm has already dumped several inches of rain across the region, and the FOX Forecast Center said additional rainfall totals of 1-3 inches are expected, with locally higher amounts of 5-8 inches possible in parts of Southern California.

More

I lived in a coastal town in SoCal when I was growing up. When we got hard rains, which we did on occasion, the roads/intersections would flood because the drainage system wasn't maintained very well. That was in Oxnard CA. If the drainage system was in good shape, it never would have been an issue. Don't know if I've ever experienced an atmospheric river storm since I'd never heard of that before...

That's the first time i've heard of an "Atmospheric river storm"
I lived in a coastal town in SoCal when I was growing up. When we got hard rains, which we did on occasion, the roads/intersections would flood because the drainage system wasn't maintained very well. That was in Oxnard CA. If the drainage system was in good shape, it never would have been an issue. Don't know if I've ever experienced an atmospheric river storm since I'd never heard of that before...

We get Atmospheric Rivers here in BC- they used to be called the Pineapple Express because they suck up a huge amount of tropical heated water, and then move fast and dump the lot on BC Canada and the Pacific NW of the USA.

I think the news people wanted a big scary new term for it all. Helps them with the global warming/cooling/climate change scares.

Some are worse than others. The first time I heard the term was the severe flooding that knocked out much of our highway system in BC back in Nov of '21. That scared the daylights out of people so after that whenever they said an "atmospheric river" was coming everyone freaked out.

Till we all realized they did it for increased views and general freaking out the audience and that what they actually referred to was just the old Pineapple Express.

Back