'Military threats are unwise, we will strike back' Supreme leader says; Tehran confirms receiving Trump's proposal for nuclear talks sent via the UAE; Khamenei dismissed the offer, calling it deceptive.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei responded Wednesday to remarks made by U.S. President Donald Trump regarding Iran, including a threat Trump issued last week against Tehran.
Trump said he had sent a letter to Khamenei offering negotiations on a nuclear deal but warned that there were "two ways" to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons—"a military option or reaching an agreement." On Wednesday afternoon, Tehran confirmed it had received the letter via the United Arab Emirates.
"When the U.S. president says he is ready to negotiate with us, it is a deception of public opinion," Khamenei said. "There is no point in negotiating when we know the other side does not uphold its commitments. Trump's call for talks is an attempt to appear as if he seeks dialogue and peace while portraying Iran as the one rejecting it."
Khamenei also issued a warning to Trump, saying, "The U.S. threatens military action, but that would not be a wise move because Iran would respond with a counterattack. They say they will not allow Iran to possess nuclear weapons," he said, adding, "If we wanted to obtain nuclear weapons, the U.S. would not be able to stop us. But we do not seek nuclear weapons, and we have explained our reasons for this before."
More

Iran's Khamenei threatens US with military action
'Military threats are unwise, we will strike back' Supreme leader says; Tehran confirms receiving Trump's proposal for nuclear talks sent via the UAE; Khamenei dismissed the offer, calling it deceptive