What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In California “Unprecedented Land Movement” Of About A Foot Per Week Is Breaking Gas Lines, Cracking Roads And Causing Homes To Sink

What in the world has been happening in Rancho Palos Verdes? When I heard that the land was “moving” there, it immediately got my attention, because I have been warning about geological instability along the California coast for more than a decade. What is taking place has been described as an ongoing “landslide”, but that term simply does not do it justice. Others are calling what we are witnessing “land movement” on a massive scale, and I think that is much more accurate. According to FOX 11 in southern California, this “land movement” is breaking gas lines, cracking roads and causing homes to sink…

According to experts, land movement in Rancho Palos Verdes continues to accelerate. As a result, roads and homes continue to crack and sink.
On Friday, FOX 11 exclusively joined Alpha Structural to view the land movement up close in a neighborhood near Portuguese Bend.
“You have to think to yourself, this isn’t real,” said Damien Hammond, from Alpha Structural. “That’s how I feel here. I feel like I’m on a movie set, but in reality, this is 25 peoples’ homes.”
That last quote really nailed it.

At this point, Rancho Palos Verdes really does look like it belongs on the set of a science fiction movie.

This is a slow-motion natural disaster that authorities are powerless to stop, and the damage is getting worse with each passing day.

More

**Update

Rancho Palos Verdes crisis highlights SoCal's concerns of shifting land​

The emergency situation in Rancho Palos Verdes is a realistic reminder that land movement is a natural occurrence, which when accelerated, according to geological science experts, can lead to damage and danger.

Scientists described Southern California as a “geologically dynamic place.”
“It’s really a tragic situation. These are residences and people’s lives that are being disrupted by what is a geologic process,” said Jonathan Godt, the coordinator for the USGS landslide hazards program. “That’s of little comfort to people who are losing homes and other things, but it is a natural process.”

One of the communities with a similar landscape to Rancho Palos Verdes is the city of San Clemente, which is about 66 miles from the Portuguese Bend community that is now under an emergency declaration.

“If you come right to here, there’s about a 50-foot drop,” said David Boyle, a condo owner who described the bluff just below his home. “This vegetation went all the way across.”
“You’ve got significant amount of dirt moved down to the parking lot area, which is indicative of the larger problem,” said Duncan. “This whole area is geologically unstable.”

Back