What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Would We Live Differently If…It Was Tomorrow? :: By Howard Green

Andy C

Well-known
Imagine knowing about October 7, 2023; September 11, 2001; the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami; the 1987 stock market crash; Pearl Harbor; or the sinking of the Titanic the day before these events happened. This knowledge would have drastically altered the way you lived and the actions you would have taken. Jesus gave us a series of warnings beginning in Matthew 24, telling us to watch and be alert because we don’t know the day or hour of His return. How would we live differently if we knew it was tomorrow?

Before we consider this compelling question, I want to acknowledge Jesus’ statement that no one knows that day and hour but the Father. Matthew 24:36. This article isn’t meant to make sensational predictions but to take Jesus’ repeated warnings seriously and consider how we would transform the way we live if we knew He was going to return tomorrow.

Jesus gives an example from history that compares the time just before His return to the days of Noah, right before the people were swept away by the flood. They were distracted by the things of life and didn’t take the warnings of coming judgment seriously. He goes on to give a series of parables starting in Matthew 25:1 that are meant as a call to action for every believer to watch, wait, and work for His glory as He may return at any moment.

Having prior knowledge about momentous days should drastically affect the way we live. As we consider the “unsinkable Titanic” foundering, the World Trade Center collapsing, the Indian Ocean Tsunami inundating, and other tragic events, wouldn’t you have done everything in your power to warn people in harm’s way if you knew they would happen tomorrow? Of course, you would have!

How would we live differently if we knew Jesus was returning tomorrow? The Bible tells us exactly how we should live if we are Christian. 2 Peter 3:11 reminds us to be godly and holy as we wait for the Day of the Lord. Jude 1:17-23 tells us to be discerning because spiritual deception will be rampant in the last days, with much of it coming from within the church. Moreover, we are to be compelled by love and mercy to bring the hope of the gospel to others.

Jude 1:17-23 tells us to be discerning because spiritual deception will be rampant in the last days, with much of it coming from within the church. Moreover, we are to be compelled by love and mercy to bring the hope of the gospel to others.
That passage in Jude above brings to mind the Dr. Andy Woods series on 2 Timothy 3:2-7 I've been reading through.

2For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, 4treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these. 6For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, 7always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Even though we expect in these last days for the world to continue to fall farther into all forms of ungodliness, it was/is actually a warning to the Church and a description of some of those who are within.

How would we live differently if we knew Jesus was returning tomorrow?
Im not sure how I would be other than excited and ready to go.

Would it do any good to give warnings to all the unbelievers you know? If they did not believe then the simple message of the gospel, how would they then respond when you told them to repent and believe now, because tomorrow a few hundred million will be raptured?
Still, Im sure I would try.

If I knew tomorrow was the day I'd contact all my blood family members and invite them to surrender to Jesus, then I'd probably go to my favorite restaurant, then watch a good movie, read the Bible, pray and go to sleep just like I always do. Aside from the restaurant meal that's my routine.

I wouldn't stop laughing and crying in all the best ways. I think I'd lay on the floor at closing time with all of my closest people and just look up and reminisce about this old life. I would laugh heartily about the imminent victory. I'd feel the wave that wouldn't just rush and leave over my body, but would remain there for the duration. I would grab them all and love on them and take in their human scents for that final time.

I'd max out my cc and drain my bank account buying Bibles and give them away to everyone I could and warn them what was coming. Maybe wear a sandwich sign like the street preachers did early in the 20th Century REPENT THE END IS NEAR
And make sure my dog and (future) cat(s) were provided for
Then go out to the cemetery where my parents and one set of grandparents, etc. are buried and wait. If I combined the two, I could give away the Bibles at the entrance to the cemetery or sprinkle them around the cemetery while wearing the sign.

The practical reality of earthly life is that I have to pay bills and eat, so yeah, what I'm doing could/would change.

All my unsaved family/relatives, or old friends have already received the rapture brief from me. Since its highly unlikely they would believe when I told them it was tomorrow, I would still remind them of the gospel message, but heavily emphasis the rapture, and that the proof will be when I gone, along with hundreds of millions of others tomorrow. All those who doubted me for years about Jesus, would finally have the proof they needed. These would be amongst the first who would become saved, immediately following the rapture.

I'm with Andy C on this. I have told everyone I know about the rapture event. I have moved away from telling anyone about the rapture because that is not what is going to save them. I tell them about Jesus. That way, if we are still here five years from now I don't have egg on my face from yet another unfulfilled rapture high watch date. Granted, the premise of this thread is what would I do if I knew it was tomorrow but that doesn't change how I would behave.

Back in 2015 (I think, don't hold me to that date) there was a very significant watch date that had everyone abuzz with excitement. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning waiting for the rapture. It obviously didn't happen and while I was quite disappointed I was still glad I ate my dinner. Hey Tall Timbers, I think I'll join you for a burger! 😉

I have moved away from telling anyone about the rapture because that is not what is going to save them.
Hi John, I agree. Our great commission is not to run around telling everyone about the rapture. I have never spoken to my unsaved Mom about it. I mean, I can’t even get her to believe in my side of things about climate change, politics and UFOs, so why would I tell her about the rapture? If she ever does ask about it, I will discuss it. I have a big, fat Left Behind packet for her in my nightstand.

Back