What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Can I Obey This?

Goodboy

Just waiting for the Rapture at this point!
How Can I Obey This?

Matthew 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Matthew 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Matthew 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Matthew 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Matthew 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Many Christians have read Matthew 5:38 through 5:42 above and may wonder how can they do what Jesus asks of us? Won’t we be beat up and poor if we let people slap us and give them what we have?

While I cannot prove my answer by scripture, I believe this is what Jesus was saying. So what was Jesus doing when he said these words? In Matthew 4:23 it states he was preaching the gospel. This can give us a hint as to what Jesus intent is for us.

I believe Jesus is saying whenever you are representing the Gospel this is how you should behave. Missionaries and some Pastors may constantly be representing the Gospel, but truth be told most of us are not. I mean we may live a Christian life, but there are specific times that we intend to represent the Gospel. At those times we should do as Jesus asks.

Can I do that all the time? Absolutely not, but if I go out with the intent to share the Gospel, I could do that as I would go out with the mind set of representing Jesus during that time.

Those are my thoughts anyway. 🤔

Goodboy 🙂

I believe Jesus is saying whenever you are representing the Gospel this is how you should behave. Missionaries and some Pastors may constantly be representing the Gospel, but truth be told most of us are not. I mean we may live a Christian life, but there are specific times that we intend to represent the Gospel. At those times we should do as Jesus asks.

Makes sense. :)

Back