What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hints of Rapture in this Old Testament Passage?

Everlasting Life

By grace, through faith in Jesus
What do you all think?

I was reading in Isaiah 26 this morning and noticed something, vs 19-21, here's the Authorized KJV:

19 Thy dead men shall live,
together with my dead body shall they arise.
Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust:
for thy dew is as the dew of herbs,
and the earth shall cast out the dead.

20 Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers,
and shut thy doors about thee:
hide thyself as it were for a little moment,
until the indignation be overpast.

21 For, behold, the Lord cometh out of his place
to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity:
the earth also shall disclose her blood,
and shall no more cover her slain.

Here's the Amplified rendering, which pulls fuller meaning from Hebrew/Greek, which really caught my attention:

19 Your dead shall live [O Lord]; the bodies of our dead [saints] shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For Your dew [O Lord] is a dew of [sparkling] light [heavenly, supernatural dew]; and the earth shall cast forth the dead [to life again; for on the land of the shades of the dead You will let Your dew fall].

20 Come, my people, enter your chambers and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the [Lord’s] wrath is past.

21 For behold, the Lord is coming out of His place [heaven] to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity; the earth also will disclose the blood shed upon her and will no longer cover her slain and conceal her guilt.

What do you all think?

I was reading in Isaiah 26 this morning and noticed something, vs 19-21, here's the Authorized KJV:

19 Thy dead men shall live,
together with my dead body shall they arise.
Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust:
for thy dew is as the dew of herbs,
and the earth shall cast out the dead.

20 Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers,
and shut thy doors about thee:
hide thyself as it were for a little moment,
until the indignation be overpast.

Here's the Amplified rendering, which pulls fuller meaning from Hebrew/Greek, which really caught my attention:

19 Your dead shall live [O Lord]; the bodies of our dead [saints] shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For Your dew [O Lord] is a dew of [sparkling] light [heavenly, supernatural dew]; and the earth shall cast forth the dead [to life again; for on the land of the shades of the dead You will let Your dew fall].

20 Come, my people, enter your chambers and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the [Lord’s] wrath is past.

21 For behold, the Lord is coming out of His place [heaven] to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity; the earth also will disclose the blood shed upon her and will no longer cover her slain and conceal her guilt.
I use to hold the opinion that it may be a rapture passage until i heard Andy Woods stating that it applied to the Jews being protected in Petra when the Antichrist is trying to pursue them which makes more sense to me since the church isn't even known about unti Paul reveals it

I recall Jack Hibbs preaching once saying he thought it was a Rapture passage. I tend to think it may be. Or maybe even dual... the church in Heaven for all the tribulation, and the Jewish remnant in Petra for the second half.
I'm willing to consider it as dual, as TT mentions, scripture or the revelation of God can be revealed at certain times or later on when knowledge has been increased.

Maybe this is an example of one of those types of scenarios

I use to hold the opinion that it may be a rapture passage until i heard Andy Woods stating that it applied to the Jews being protected in Petra when the Antichrist is trying to pursue them which makes more sense to me since the church isn't even known about unti Paul reveals it

Interesting, I'll have to track down his thoughts on that.

B

Boom found it, 1st question of the bat at 3 min 16 - YouTube

Thanks for this Spartan Sprinter! Andy does a good job explaining this passage. And it makes sense in the context of the chapters proceeding and after the passages I shared.

The key is that with the Rapture, when spoken of by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:51, the phrase 'a mystery' is used. Andy explains that meaning of 'a mystery' has a very different connotation in the English than with the Greek in which parts of the bible is translated from. Today 'a mystery' means something secret that cannot be understood unless one applies great diligence to understand (another words, it can be figured out if worked at, kind of like not knowing who the bad guy is until the last 5 minutes......but it's known there is a bad guy and a couple of sharp cookies figure it out); whereas in the Bible Greek means a full disclosure, revealing by God of that which in the past has thus far been completely hidden (perhaps another way of saying could be kept back from being perceived) or veiled in prior ages but now is fully disclosed as described in Colossians 1:26. Colossians speaks of something formally, completely unknown but now has been revealed. God showed Paul a previously unknown mystery.

Andy quotes Vines Complete Expository Dictionary defining the Greek word 'mysterion' not as mysterious but that which being outside of the range of unassisted natural apprehension, made know only by divine revelation, in a manner and time appointed by God, to those illuminated by His Holy Spirit.

Andy touches on Daniel and the revealing of the meaning of Nebuchadnezzar's image revealed to Daniel by God. He shows how Daniel is a first definition of a mystery in that what was previously unknown is then revealed by God. God shows Daniel a previously unknown mystery So then by this understanding, when Paul speaks of a mystery in regards to the Rapture, it is that which has been hidden and previously unknown and now revealed by God to Paul. So, therefore the Isaiah passage has to do with Israel and her experience during the tribulation (the Church's story during this time is not being shared here, so to speak, just Israel's).

Spartan Sprinter do you think this is a good assessment of Andy's explanation?

I've been sick with a covid virus (thankfully very light) and decided to reach out to the forum here for additional helps. It proved to be a good idea. :)

I guess I'm feeling better because now my brain is curious to consider this understanding with other passages in the bible which speaks of 'a mystery'. 📚

Just my impression...

I picture the rapture as a time of joy, we're snatched into glory and it's for our wedding.

The Isaiah rescue sounds like going into a root cellar due to tornado warnings.

JMI

Thanks for this Spartan Sprinter! Andy does a good job explaining this passage. And it makes sense in the context of the chapters proceeding and after the passages I shared.

The key is that with the Rapture, when spoken of by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:51, the phrase 'a mystery' is used. Andy explains that meaning of 'a mystery' has a very different connotation in the English than with the Greek in which parts of the bible is translated from. Today 'a mystery' means something secret that cannot be understood unless one applies great diligence to understand (another words, it can be figured out if worked at, kind of like not knowing who the bad guy is until the last 5 minutes......but it's known there is a bad guy and a couple of sharp cookies figure it out); whereas in the Bible Greek means a full disclosure, revealing by God of that which in the past has thus far been completely hidden (perhaps another way of saying could be kept back from being perceived) or veiled in prior ages but now is fully disclosed as described in Colossians 1:26. Colossians speaks of something formally, completely unknown but now has been revealed. God showed Paul a previously unknown mystery.

Andy quotes Vines Complete Expository Dictionary defining the Greek word 'mysterion' not as mysterious but that which being outside of the range of unassisted natural apprehension, made know only by divine revelation, in a manner and time appointed by God, to those illuminated by His Holy Spirit.

Andy touches on Daniel and the revealing of the meaning of Nebuchadnezzar's image revealed to Daniel by God. He shows how Daniel is a first definition of a mystery in that what was previously unknown is then revealed by God. God shows Daniel a previously unknown mystery So then by this understanding, when Paul speaks of a mystery in regards to the Rapture, it is that which has been hidden and previously unknown and now revealed by God to Paul. So, therefore the Isaiah passage has to do with Israel and her experience during the tribulation (the Church's story during this time is not being shared here, so to speak, just Israel's).

Spartan Sprinter do you think this is a good assessment of Andy's explanation?

I've been sick with a covid virus (thankfully very light) and decided to reach out to the forum here for additional helps. It proved to be a good idea. :)

I guess I'm feeling better because now my brain is curious to consider this understanding with other passages in the bible which speaks of 'a mystery'. 📚
Yeah that was well summed up in relation to Andy's answer to the question.

Thank you for taking the time to do that

Just my impression...

I picture the rapture as a time of joy, we're snatched into glory and it's for our wedding.

The Isaiah rescue sounds like going into a root cellar due to tornado warnings.

JMI
Read verse 21 alongside Hosea 5:15 which I think relates to the end of the Tribulation.

Isaiah

Hosea 5:15

I will return again to my place,
until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face,
and in their distress earnestly seek me.

I think both verses deal with tribulation times, not so much the rapture but later.

Back