What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God Looks At the Heart

Goodboy

Just waiting for the Rapture at this point!
God Looks At the Heart

There are two different perspectives that are used in the Bible that God uses regarding sin and if you don’t understand that you might think that the Bible contradicts itself.

1) There is God’s and man’s view of man’s outward actions or his flesh.
2) There is God’s view of man’s internal heart which only God can see.

While King David did some good things, if you have read everything about him he also did a lot of sinful things, yet what does God say about King David?

1 Samuel 13:14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.
Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

While Lot was living in the most sinful place on earth at the time, what does God say about him?
2 Peter 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
2 Peter 2:8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

So if we are all sinful with no hope of changing while in the flesh, how can God call David a man after his own heart and Lot a righteous man? Because God is speaking of their internal heart, not their actions and thoughts. Only Jesus can save us from the penalty of our sinful actions and thoughts or our flesh.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Notice what God said about man before the great flood.
Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Evil people not only do evil but are happy about it because they are evil in their heart or one could say their core. Those who are not evil in their heart feel bad about the sin they do caused by their flesh.

King James Version
Psalms 10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.

Contemporary English Version
Psalms 10:3 The wicked brag about their deepest desires. Those greedy people hate and curse you, LORD.

Goodboy
:)

I love your thoughts Goodboy, and if you don’t mind, I’ll share a slightly different view.

God built into everyone an ‘eternity in their heart’ Ecclesiastes 3:11.

Let’s contrast Abel and his brother Cain. Knowing Cain’s heart, God offered him a genuine choice to resist sin at his doorstep.

I’m suggesting that all of us have enough internal longing for goodness that even if our hearts grow evil, we are able to turn and place our faith in God.

Think of evil King Manasseh in Judah.

It’s the moment one responds in faith to that inner compass of eternity that God Himself places in our hearts that determines our destination.

No matter how evil Manasseh had been, he did repent and do good!

There are no people inherently good or bad in their heart.

God looks at our hearts to see if any seek Him, are any humble enough to listen to our Creator? He counts our goodness as filthy rags.

The goodness that King David, or the first Gentile convert Cornelius had was only that they feared God.

Back