What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France issues arrest warrant for Syria's President Assad

Almost Heaven

Well-known
The decision seeks to punish Bashar al-Assad for the use of chemical weapons during the Syrian civil war

French judges have issued arrest warrants for Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad, his brother Maher al-Assad, and two other senior officials over the use of banned chemical weapons against civilians in Syria, a judicial source told Reuters on Wednesday.
The arrest warrants - which refer to charges of complicity in crimes against humanity and complicity in war crimes - follow a criminal investigation into chemical attacks in the town of Douma and the district of Eastern Ghouta in August 2013, attacks which killed more than 1,000 people.

It is the first international arrest warrant that has been issued for the Syrian head of state, whose forces responded to protests that began in 2011 with a brutal crackdown that UN experts have said amount to war crimes.

It is the first time international arrest warrants have been issued over the chemical weapons attack in Ghouta in 2013, says Mazen Darwish, lawyer and founder of the Syrian Center for Media and Freedom of Expression (SCM), which filed the case in France.

If it's a French warrant... seems like they don't have jurisdiction as to what occurs in another sovereign nation.
There is a relation between the 2 countries.

France–Syria relations refers to the bilateral relations between France and the Syrian Arab Republic. Relations between France and Syria have a long and complex history. The contemporary relationship largely dates back to the French mandate (1923–1946) over the region established in the midst of the defeat and subsequent Partition of the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War I.

France had an embassy in Damascus (closed down March 2012) and a consulate general in Aleppo and Latakia. Syria has an embassy in Paris and consulates in Marseille and Pointe-à-Pitre.[1]

Despite the historical links between Syria and France, relations have often been strained as a result of the unstable condition of the Middle East's politics and France's foreign policies. France, since August 2011, insists that the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, backed by Russia and Iran, must step down, and ever since, France has been backing the Syrian opposition.[2] France was the first Western country to give recognition to the SOC on 13 November 2012.[3]France has since then issued arrest warrants and prosecuted senior officials of the Syrian government, accused of abetting "crimes against humanity" and various war-crimes of the Assad regime.[4] In May 2023, French Foreign MinisterCatherine Colonna publicly called for the prosecution of Bashar al-Assad, labelling him as "the enemy of his own people".[5]

There is a relation between the 2 countries.

France–Syria relations refers to the bilateral relations between France and the Syrian Arab Republic. Relations between France and Syria have a long and complex history. The contemporary relationship largely dates back to the French mandate (1923–1946) over the region established in the midst of the defeat and subsequent Partition of the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War I.

France had an embassy in Damascus (closed down March 2012) and a consulate general in Aleppo and Latakia. Syria has an embassy in Paris and consulates in Marseille and Pointe-à-Pitre.[1]

Despite the historical links between Syria and France, relations have often been strained as a result of the unstable condition of the Middle East's politics and France's foreign policies. France, since August 2011, insists that the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, backed by Russia and Iran, must step down, and ever since, France has been backing the Syrian opposition.[2] France was the first Western country to give recognition to the SOC on 13 November 2012.[3]France has since then issued arrest warrants and prosecuted senior officials of the Syrian government, accused of abetting "crimes against humanity" and various war-crimes of the Assad regime.[4] In May 2023, French Foreign MinisterCatherine Colonna publicly called for the prosecution of Bashar al-Assad, labelling him as "the enemy of his own people".[5]
Thank you, that opens up another interesting thought.

I know Macron and France have been active in Lebanon, partly because of Lebanon under the same French mandate after WW1. He was very public about getting involved right after the explosion in the Lebanese harbour area.

Which opens up the French being connected to 2 of the main Iranian proxies threatening Israel right now-- Lebanon and Syria. That's interesting. The Syrian opposition aren't exactly choir boys nor are the Lebanese.

What's his long game there???? Other than being the regional peace maker wannabe and general irritating wunderkind.

Macron sees himself in grandiose terms (ruling like Jupiter I think he said early in his first year of power). He was always trying to involve himself in the Trump Peace Plan, either by hurrying it along or by trying to introduce his own alternative vision.

Interesting and vaguely unpleasant character.

I'm sure he has ambitions to impact the globe and change the future, but so does every other Klaus Schwab associate. Including that premier wart on the Canadian landscape Trudeau that we can't seem to scrape off our collective Canadian shoe.

I sort of wonder if he's got any interesting younger protege's in the background who are up and coming.

Thank you, that opens up another interesting thought.

I know Macron and France have been active in Lebanon, partly because of Lebanon under the same French mandate after WW1. He was very public about getting involved right after the explosion in the Lebanese harbour area.

Which opens up the French being connected to 2 of the main Iranian proxies threatening Israel right now-- Lebanon and Syria. That's interesting. The Syrian opposition aren't exactly choir boys nor are the Lebanese.

What's his long game there???? Other than being the regional peace maker wannabe and general irritating wunderkind.

Macron sees himself in grandiose terms (ruling like Jupiter I think he said early in his first year of power). He was always trying to involve himself in the Trump Peace Plan, either by hurrying it along or by trying to introduce his own alternative vision.

Interesting and vaguely unpleasant character.

I'm sure he has ambitions to impact the globe and change the future, but so does every other Klaus Schwab associate. Including that premier wart on the Canadian landscape Trudeau that we can't seem to scrape off our collective Canadian shoe.

I sort of wonder if he's got any interesting younger protege's in the background who are up and coming.
He's trying very hard to get involved in every pie but he's not really that popular

Back