What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire season has begun in earnest in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Margery

Well-known
Fort St John is being evacuated in the N E corner of our province, while northern Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are all coping with similar fires. Some are human caused but the common factor is hot dry winds, very little snow pack which means drought conditions and those conditions are worsening year after year.

It's not "climate change" as claimed, but just like the 30's almost 100 years ago, it's a lot of factors that play into a potential firestorm of a fire season. Stupid forestry practices, tree huggers preventing clear cuts, large tracts of land replanted with one single variety causing an all you can eat buffet effect for specific pests and diseases, leading to vast tracts of trees killed by bugs and acting like tinder instead of timber.

And of course Trudeau and Canada voted against Israel at the UN General Assembly by voting FOR a state of "Palestine". After he vowed to stop any weapons coming from Canada to Israel's aid as well as sending funds to Gaza. Those who bless Israel are blessed, those who curse Israel- well stuff happens.

I'm ordering some more HEPA filters for the 5 HEPA filter units I have running here in the apartment (office, 2 bedrooms, and 2 at both ends of the living room) braced for another season of Trudeau being Trudeau. And think about packing my bug out kit in case of evacuations (I do this every spring and this fire season started early)

We've had a couple of small ones burning nearby the last few days- supposed to be under control but late this afternoon the smell of forest fire smoke started to drift in the windows so I've shut them. There's one burning between me the five granddaughters, and daughter and son in law in Clearwater around Barriere.

Update: Fort Nelson braces for 'last stand' as high winds expected to push wildfire toward town

"About 3,500 people have already evacuated from Fort Nelson after an order to leave was issued Friday evening in light of the fast-growing Parker Lake fire, with many residents temporarily relocating hundreds of kilometres to the south to Fort St John or Prince George."

"The B.C. Wildfire Service says reduced wind speeds and cooler temperatures on Saturday helped crews, but temperatures are expected to remain above seasonal normals on Sunday.

B.C. is experiencing a record-low snowpack and drought has plagued much of the province, especially in the parched northeast, for months. Data from the B.C. River Forecast Centre predicts a long, dry fire season.
"

My thought is that is an understatement. If the hot dry winds continue we are set for the very worst fire season yet and that says a LOT.

The area we used to live in, Prince George has a number of out of control fires burning in their area and towards the north east corner of the province, and over in Alberta this is what Edmonton looks like now

Wildfire in Canada's British Columbia forces thousands to evacuate. Winds push smoke into Alberta

"Canadian authorities are urging all remaining residents in a town in British Columbia to leave immediately, despite improving weather conditions, after many were already evacuated due to a fast-growing wildfire.

The blaze, which started Friday, almost doubled in size the following day, reaching about 17 square kilometers (4,200 acres). BC Wildfire Service maps showed the fire burning just a few kilometers (miles) west of Fort Nelson’s city limits.

Fort Nelson is located in the far northeastern corner of British Columbia, about 1,600 kilometers (995 miles) from Vancouver. Fort Nelson and the Fort Nelson Indian Reserve have a combined population of about 3,000.

In 2023, Canada witnessed a record number of wildfires that also caused choking smoke in parts of the U.S. and forced tens of thousands of people to evacuate across British Columbia.
"

Fort McMurray is in trouble again, with a fire near them and Trudeau lives in Ottawa back east so he won't care till it makes him cough and his eyes water.

It's affecting air quality in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba so Trudeau should feel it soon. So will New York City and much of North America if we keep exploding into flames because the winds blow west to east!

"In Alberta, people in the Grande Prairie region are under evacuation alerts and some have been asked to leave due to a blaze burning 4km east of the hamlet of TeePee Creek in the province's northwest.

Residents of Fort McMurray, a town of about 68,000 people, have also been told to be ready to leave as an out-of-control blaze burns some 25km southwest of the city.

In parts of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, Environment Canada issued Saturday air quality alerts due to wildfire smoke.
Last year was a devastating year for Canadian wildfires, with 15 million hectares (37 million acres) of forest burned - the most destructive season in the country's history.

Eight firefighters died and some 230,000 people were displaced from their homes."

Manitoba has an evacuation or alert near Flin Flon

"A massive wildfire has swallowed up thousands of hectares of land near Flin Flon, and is making its way toward another northwestern Manitoba community.

A forest fire 38 kilometres long and 12 kilometres wide has moved within one kilometre of Cranberry Portage, located southeast of Flin Flon, the province said in its fourth fire bulletin on Sunday afternoon.

Residents from Cranberry Portage evacuated to The Pas after an order was issued Saturday night."

If Ft Nelson evacuates the only route to/from Alaska will be the Cassiar Hwy to the west. Ft Nelson is one of the essential refueling points along the ALCAN.

Perhaps Canada has already closed the hwy to travelers?
Yup, just checked with Drive BC and it's closed for about 28 km between Muskwa River and Grouse Trail by Fort Nelson. LOL brought back memories of you driving south that time. Because the next update is due tomorrow around 9 am, but looking at the fire videos and pictures, I suspect it might stay closed a while.

Fort St John is being evacuated in the N E corner of our province, while northern Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are all coping with similar fires. Some are human caused but the common factor is hot dry winds, very little snow pack which means drought conditions and those conditions are worsening year after year.

It's not "climate change" as claimed, but just like the 30's almost 100 years ago, it's a lot of factors that play into a potential firestorm of a fire season. Stupid forestry practices, tree huggers preventing clear cuts, large tracts of land replanted with one single variety causing an all you can eat buffet effect for specific pests and diseases, leading to vast tracts of trees killed by bugs and acting like tinder instead of timber.

And of course Trudeau and Canada voted against Israel at the UN General Assembly by voting FOR a state of "Palestine". After he vowed to stop any weapons coming from Canada to Israel's aid as well as sending funds to Gaza. Those who bless Israel are blessed, those who curse Israel- well stuff happens.

I'm ordering some more HEPA filters for the 5 HEPA filter units I have running here in the apartment (office, 2 bedrooms, and 2 at both ends of the living room) braced for another season of Trudeau being Trudeau. And think about packing my bug out kit in case of evacuations (I do this every spring and this fire season started early)

We've had a couple of small ones burning nearby the last few days- supposed to be under control but late this afternoon the smell of forest fire smoke started to drift in the windows so I've shut them. There's one burning between me the five granddaughters, and daughter and son in law in Clearwater around Barriere.

Update: Fort Nelson braces for 'last stand' as high winds expected to push wildfire toward town

"About 3,500 people have already evacuated from Fort Nelson after an order to leave was issued Friday evening in light of the fast-growing Parker Lake fire, with many residents temporarily relocating hundreds of kilometres to the south to Fort St John or Prince George."

"The B.C. Wildfire Service says reduced wind speeds and cooler temperatures on Saturday helped crews, but temperatures are expected to remain above seasonal normals on Sunday.

B.C. is experiencing a record-low snowpack and drought has plagued much of the province, especially in the parched northeast, for months. Data from the B.C. River Forecast Centre predicts a long, dry fire season.
"

My thought is that is an understatement. If the hot dry winds continue we are set for the very worst fire season yet and that says a LOT.

The area we used to live in, Prince George has a number of out of control fires burning in their area and towards the north east corner of the province, and over in Alberta this is what Edmonton looks like now

Wildfire in Canada's British Columbia forces thousands to evacuate. Winds push smoke into Alberta

"Canadian authorities are urging all remaining residents in a town in British Columbia to leave immediately, despite improving weather conditions, after many were already evacuated due to a fast-growing wildfire.

The blaze, which started Friday, almost doubled in size the following day, reaching about 17 square kilometers (4,200 acres). BC Wildfire Service maps showed the fire burning just a few kilometers (miles) west of Fort Nelson’s city limits.

Fort Nelson is located in the far northeastern corner of British Columbia, about 1,600 kilometers (995 miles) from Vancouver. Fort Nelson and the Fort Nelson Indian Reserve have a combined population of about 3,000.

In 2023, Canada witnessed a record number of wildfires that also caused choking smoke in parts of the U.S. and forced tens of thousands of people to evacuate across British Columbia.
"

Fort McMurray is in trouble again, with a fire near them and Trudeau lives in Ottawa back east so he won't care till it makes him cough and his eyes water.

It's affecting air quality in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba so Trudeau should feel it soon. So will New York City and much of North America if we keep exploding into flames because the winds blow west to east!

"In Alberta, people in the Grande Prairie region are under evacuation alerts and some have been asked to leave due to a blaze burning 4km east of the hamlet of TeePee Creek in the province's northwest.

Residents of Fort McMurray, a town of about 68,000 people, have also been told to be ready to leave as an out-of-control blaze burns some 25km southwest of the city.

In parts of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan, Environment Canada issued Saturday air quality alerts due to wildfire smoke.
Last year was a devastating year for Canadian wildfires, with 15 million hectares (37 million acres) of forest burned - the most destructive season in the country's history.

Eight firefighters died and some 230,000 people were displaced from their homes."

Manitoba has an evacuation or alert near Flin Flon

"A massive wildfire has swallowed up thousands of hectares of land near Flin Flon, and is making its way toward another northwestern Manitoba community.

A forest fire 38 kilometres long and 12 kilometres wide has moved within one kilometre of Cranberry Portage, located southeast of Flin Flon, the province said in its fourth fire bulletin on Sunday afternoon.

Residents from Cranberry Portage evacuated to The Pas after an order was issued Saturday night."
Those firestorms are crazy

Fort McMurray (evacuation alert) is a major oil sands center.

Wonder when gas prices start going up again :mad:
(any excuse :mad:

If ALCAN and Cassiar both closed, or even only one, much more difficult to get military equipment, supplies, troops, etc. to Alaska.
Russia USSR an awfully close neighbor and has been grumbling about wanting it back for some time.

Wonder where the full-time, experienced USSR military is . . . not in Ukraine or vicinity of Israel.

:pray: :pray: :amen: :amen: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Wow, Margery! That picture of Edmonchuck was unbelievable. I cannot imagine breathing that air.
That's what it looked like on the better days of our worst years here in Kamloops. For months. I couldn't see to the other side of the street on the bad days. A lot of people have ended up with permanent lung damage. The smoke I smelled yesterday is gone but I live in a completely different sector of the province, we aren't having it bad yet down here but the air will be bad if these fires continue.

Today Fort Nelson - the fires are closer. But the air is still relatively good. The highway is closed, but not the Stuart Cassiar so all goods will travel up that route to the Yukon and Alaska and probably the NWTerritories.

Here's the mayor speaking to CBC: B.C.'s Parker Lake fire closing in on Fort Nelson, says mayor

The Cassiar is paved now, but only fairly recently. It's a rough road that when gravel topped would destroy the paint job on any vehicle traveling that way. I know from first hand experience. It's in a lot better condition now except that instead of weaving around the terrain like most roads it goes straight up and down the hills... and there are some real doozies.

Back