What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fighting Against Sin

Goodboy

Just waiting for the Rapture at this point!
Fighting Against Sin

Have you ever had this thought?
“I can’t seem to stop sinning!” “I must be a terrible Christian!”

If you have your not alone, please read on!
No your not! You are however most likely an immature Christian.
This has nothing to do with how long you have been saved. Some people live their whole lives and never become mature Christians.

The ONLY thing God requires of us is to accept Jesus Christ as our savoir.
Everything else God asks of us or instructs us to do is primarily for “Our Own Good”.

People who are immature make bad choices for themselves, as they tend to be shortsighted and uninformed. The same applies to immature Christians; they are also shortsighted and lack Godly knowledge. This plays right into Satan’s hand as sin which only offers short-term pleasure, appeals to those who are shortsighted and/or don’t understand the consequences. Those who have an understanding of the consequences and want what is best for the long term are not as easily enticed by sin, as they become more concerned about and focused on the consequences.

So how do you fight against sin? You don’t!
Instead of fighting against sin, work to become a more mature Christian.
As you mature, you will realize that sinning is not in your best interest.
Would you eat some delicious food because of how great it tasted if you knew it would make you sick? Well when you get to the point that you truly realize the results of your sins, then you will try to stop them. Not for God’s sake, but for your own sake!

Most of us if we were honest, think there are some sins we get away with.
There are NO SINS we get away with. Either the consequences have not shown up yet, or the consequences are different than what you are expecting. Some people are depressed and don’t know why, maybe it’s a result of some sin they think they are getting away with.

So my advice to you is to, read your bible, pray, listen to good Pastor teachers and fellowship with other mature Christians as much as possible. If you do this, then you will see that you will slowly stop a lot of sinful things without even trying.

Goodboy 🙂

Fighting Against Sin

Have you ever had this thought?
“I can’t seem to stop sinning!” “I must be a terrible Christian!”

If you have your not alone, please read on!
No your not! You are however most likely an immature Christian.
This has nothing to do with how long you have been saved. Some people live their whole lives and never become mature Christians.

The ONLY thing God requires of us is to accept Jesus Christ as our savoir.
Everything else God asks of us or instructs us to do is primarily for “Our Own Good”.

People who are immature make bad choices for themselves, as they tend to be shortsighted and uninformed. The same applies to immature Christians; they are also shortsighted and lack Godly knowledge. This plays right into Satan’s hand as sin which only offers short-term pleasure, appeals to those who are shortsighted and/or don’t understand the consequences. Those who have an understanding of the consequences and want what is best for the long term are not as easily enticed by sin, as they become more concerned about and focused on the consequences.

So how do you fight against sin? You don’t!
Instead of fighting against sin, work to become a more mature Christian.
As you mature, you will realize that sinning is not in your best interest.
Would you eat some delicious food because of how great it tasted if you knew it would make you sick? Well when you get to the point that you truly realize the results of your sins, then you will try to stop them. Not for God’s sake, but for your own sake!

Most of us if we were honest, think there are some sins we get away with.
There are NO SINS we get away with. Either the consequences have not shown up yet, or the consequences are different than what you are expecting. Some people are depressed and don’t know why, maybe it’s a result of some sin they think they are getting away with.

So my advice to you is to, read your bible, pray, listen to good Pastor teachers and fellowship with other mature Christians as much as possible. If you do this, then you will see that you will slowly stop a lot of sinful things without even trying.

Goodboy 🙂
Thanks for this, ill pass it on to my partner, she having a real rough time at the moment and is a bit disillusioned with everything that has been happening to her.

Good thread! We are saved by faith ... believing that Christ died to freed us from the penalty of our sins. And we are also sanctified in the same way ... believing that Christ's death gave us victory over the power of sin. Every aspect of our life in Christ is by faith alone, in Christ alone, and what He accomplished on Calvary.

As believers we believe that Jesus did on the cross what no human flesh could do, redeem us from sin and save us.
The Law is good, but no one can live by the law, so Jesus took our penalty for sin, death and paid our debt in full.

By believing in the finished work of Jesus on the cross, we are forgiven for our sins past, present and future.

The Holy Spirit indwells is as our Helper and Counselor, to keep us from sin through conviction.
When we find ourselves in sin, by our repentance we are forgiven without Jesus having to die on the cross again because He died once for all time.

"The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. 2 Otherwise, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. 3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. 4 It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

8First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Hebrews 10:1-4 & 8-10

"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
Romans 7:14-25

On the day of our Redemption when Jesus appears to take His Bride home, we will all change to glory and become immortal and incorruptible, sin will then be eradicated and we will be like Jesus.
1 Corinthians 15:54 nkjv

"Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is"
1 John 3:2

Thank you Jesus for shedding Your precious blood for us.

I'm a terrible sinner and I hate that about myself. I'm in the place in my life where I won't pretend otherwise. It's an aspect of my being I won't miss one bit. I hate betraying the One who saved my soul, but I do it. When you realize how dead you are without Christ and His finished work, you are (I'd hope) all the more thankful for that finished work, especially when you realize that sin goes so far beyond abortions, homosexuality, and saying bad words. Sin's arms are so reaching and its grip so strong, the grasp that it has on the entire world is astounding. There are so many ways to separate yourself from the Good. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank Him for letting a former dead man live. There is nothing that breaks my heart so into, yet fills it with knee-buckling joy than Him paying that debt for me. A debt so hideous and heavy that I will never dare to pretend that I can satisfy that deficit in any shape or form.

I'm a terrible sinner and I hate that about myself.

The fact that you hate that about yourself just shows that you are not evil in your heart.

A person who is evil in their heart is actually happy about the sin they do.
King James Version
Psalms 10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
Contemporary English Version
Psalms 10:3 The wicked brag about their deepest desires. Those greedy people hate and curse you, LORD.

You are in good company. Look what Paul has to say about himself.
1 Timothy 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Romans 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Romans 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Romans 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:14-16

Back