What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colorado Democrat Introduces ‘Pet Tax’ for All Animals and It’s Worse Than You Think

1LoverofGod

Well-known
The state legislature has introduced a bill that could see a ‘pet tax’ imposed on every non-livestock animal in the state.

The bill, HB24-1163, sponsored by Democrat Regina English, requires all pet owners to register their animals in a state-run system, with fees that critics are calling exorbitant and unnecessary.

Draconian Measures Disguised as Welfare

The proposed Pet Animal Registration System under the ‘Pet Animal Registration Act’ stipulates annual registration for pets, with a sliding scale of fees that seems to punish those without the means to pay.

At $8.50 for pets with a designated caregiver, $16 for unneutered or unspayed pets with a caregiver, and a hefty $25 for pets without a caregiver, the financial burden could be significant for multi-pet households, not to mention breeders and sellers who may face the tax for each animal over six months old in their care.

More

We are expected here in my county to do annual registration/tag for pets, including cats.
Most of us ignore it after the first year, when you are forced to do it when you adopt the animal. It costs more if the animal isn’t neutered.
I think it was intended as a way to combat rabies here (vaccination paper is required.) But the thing is most people who wouldn’t bother to get a rabies shot for their dog are the same who certainly won’t get an ID tag for it.
I get the initial shots for my kitties and then no more. They are indoor and afraid to go in the yard.

If there is no caregiver for a pet, who pays the tax?

Read the article, so now I know what they mean by caregiver... a third party who has agreed to care for the pet in an emergency. I was thinking that the caregiver was the pet owner...

In Alaska I had to get the dogs a rabies shot every few years or so. There were drive through clinics every year. It was either free or cost about $5. I'd purchase a 7 way shot for each dog and administer it myself every year. I gave them some kind of de-worming medicine as needed (mixed in their food) and that was about it. They all died of old age.

Back