What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Christian" Homeschool Cooperative Lacks Discernment

Matthew6:33

Set your face like flint - Isaiah 50:7
One of my kids is in a homeschool cooperative that labels itself as Christian. There have been some good connections made in this group and we have met some nice people with conservative Biblical beliefs. However there have been a couple incidents that have left us disappointed. My wife noticed one of the curriculums that was being used. The Good and The Beautiful for those that don't know is a curriculum developed by Mormons, while not overtly so, it is something that many are aware of but some have no clue. So when we hear of this curriculum being used our antenna go up.

My wife's friend has a kid going into a new class at the co-op. The teacher was going to be using this curriculum so the antenna went up and my wife started investigating her and learned she was from Utah and went to BYU - Brigham Young University - 🤔🤔🤔 Turns out the lady's Facebook has pictures of her at a Mormon tabernacle getting married etc. Now my wife and her friend were concerned about this so they brought it up to the leadership at the "Christian" co-op.

Leadership says they will discuss it with the board. Long story short they give the runaround and say how they have had a Mormon on the board before and they didn't seem to have an issue with this woman being a Mormon and teaching kids at the co-op. One of the board members said she had sat in on this woman's class before and "she never really mentioned God at all" as if it was a good thing. My wife and her friend told the leadership that they should have a statement of faith for all the families joining the Christian co-op to sign stating their values as part of a policy. The board said they would not do a statement of faith because they did not want to cause any controversy, etc and they did not seem concerned at all. It seemed they were more concerned about the Mormon lady being offended than they were about Christian parents being concerned about the beliefs of their Christian co-op.

Well us and some other families will be considering new options now because this is not acceptable especially as our kids get older. How can you label yourself as a Christian Co-op yet not have a statement of belief? You are really a secular co-op because you cannot even distinguish yourself from the world and you are only worried about what people will think. What a complete lack of discernment and vision for the future!

Anyways, prayer would be appreciated so that we can be led in the right direction with all of this but we see it as God closing a door completely because this is a deal breaker for us. I also wanted to throw this out there for anyone in similar situations to be alert because you never really know what people believe or what is really going on! God bless you guys.

It's wonderful that you and your wife are paying close attention to the world view of the co-op, prayers for success :pray:

I've heard an interview from this teacher who developed her own curriculum.

I'm not really current on home schooling resources but hope it helps.

Wow, but sadly I’m not too surprised. Many Christian homeschoolers talk about using The Good and The Beautiful online. It’s disturbing. I hate it and as a result I don’t have high hopes of finding a Biblically Sound Homeschool Cooperative near me when I need it for my kids. It’s in God’s hands.

I also don’t know if I’ll even find any cooperatives in my area in general. Homeschooling is still rare it seems. I’ve thought about starting one myself but I’ll wait until my son is starting first grade and see what the interest is like. I will be extremely clear that doctrine matters and have people sign statements of faith.

It's wonderful that you and your wife are paying close attention to the world view of the co-op, prayers for success :pray:

I've heard an interview from this teacher who developed her own curriculum.

I'm not really current on home schooling resources but hope it helps.
I love Foundation Worldview. She has an excellent YouTube channel.

Well us and some other families will be considering new options now because this is not acceptable especially as our kids get older. How can you label yourself as a Christian Co-op yet not have a statement of belief? You are really a secular co-op because you cannot even distinguish yourself from the world and you are only worried about what people will think. What a complete lack of discernment and vision for the future!

Anyways, prayer would be appreciated so that we can be led in the right direction with all of this but we see it as God closing a door completely because this is a deal breaker for us. I also wanted to throw this out there for anyone in similar situations to be alert because you never really know what people believe or what is really going on! God bless you guys.
Praying for the Holy Spirit to lead you and your wife clearly, brother.

I homeschooled in the mid 90's to 2000 or so (dd was finishing up her math while attending university)

At the risk of sounding like a dinosaur, we didn't have co ops in our time. At least not very organized ones. I didn't do co op stuff, and the kids turned out ok. There were science and math clubs and I think a chess club. I know we rented the roller rink for an every other week roller skating afternoon/visit session for the mothers.

Depending on your local regulations you might be able to go without one altogether, or form your own loose knit flexible organization with families of similar feelings. If you need umbrella protection HSLDA is something I've always highly recommended. That saved several families from a lot of annoyance and legal issues.

We had a large homeschool association of over 100 families and I think at one point it was 120. When G and I moved down here and I quit leading the group it split up into the 3 main factions which I think was a very healthy situation.

We hung together during some critical years when the local school district was trying to interact with us and I was able to make that work to our advantage but after that the need was gone. HSLDA wasn't happy with me but it worked out for the best. They always prefer to go no contact with the school district but that district reached out to us for input, and if we weren't going to answer them, they would have gone ahead with some very annoying decisions. I headed that off at the pass so that was the only reason I'd say keeping that group together made sense.

Once that situation was done, it didn't make sense to try and hold the whole disparate gang together. I've joked in the past it was like herding cats down the highway.

The group broke up reasonably happily.

That allowed the 3 main groups to pursue their own interests in homeschooling style (from very rigid every hour is programmed to the freewheeling hippy granola unschoolers) to religious style (Puritan Reform Reconstructionists, Non Christians allergic to any mention of God- partly from too much input from the Puritan end of the room, and everyone in between).

Breaking up is hard to do (that song from the 70s :lol: ) but it's sometimes the only way. You can't all pull in the same direction if you are unequally yoked.

I think in your shoes I'd be doing the same. Considering new options.

God probably allowed this to come up for that very reason. Reminds me of Esther. For such a time as this! God puts us in uncomfortable places to begin something new under His hand.

BTW the 3 groups that formed out of the big group did fine. And things were easier to manage with fewer members in each. The Puritan group were happily doing their thing- they all used the same exhausting curriculum; the mostly agnostic granola hippy crowd were freewheeling it in their unschooling style; while the Christians who wanted to be Christians and follow their own curriculums- ranging from John Holt unschooling to diy/unit study to workbook/textbooks formed the largest group.

My friend in the group told me the only problems going forward were in the Puritan Reform Reconstructionist group. They set impossibly high standards for themselves and everyone in their group, so the regular Christian group absorbed some of the escapees from that high demand situation.

They ALL got together and cooperated when it counted- when there was a general threat to homeschooling, but then it made sense to split.

I'll pray.

20 years or so ago, a couple of my siblings put their kids in a catholic school believing it was better than public school. Neither had home schooling as an option. We put our son in a christian school and then home school and then 2 different schools for 7/8 grade. We were very watchful of things b/c in those schools he was with many other students from very different denominational backgrounds. That seems to be par for the course in churches and church schools, etc. Everything has to be watched, scrutinized, and approved.....at least for parents that care about what is taught and other ways their kids are exposed. It's hard work and sometimes very stressful, especially when a loving, caring, tender, gentle saved (or lost) person thinks they are doing right by bringing in false teachings.

20 years or so ago, a couple of my siblings put their kids in a catholic school believing it was better than public school. Neither had home schooling as an option. We put our son in a christian school and then home school and then 2 different schools for 7/8 grade. We were very watchful of things b/c in those schools he was with many other students from very different denominational backgrounds. That seems to be par for the course in churches and church schools, etc. Everything has to be watched, scrutinized, and approved.....at least for parents that care about what is taught and other ways their kids are exposed. It's hard work and sometimes very stressful, especially when a loving, caring, tender, gentle saved (or lost) person thinks they are doing right by bringing in false teachings.
Yes! I read every book I plan to share with my kids and watch any material too. It’s a lot but worth it. I’ve been dealing with moms from church that are compromising with things like Disney and Harry Potter. It’s frustrating and something I’ll have to watch out for with the kids.

I can’t imagine dealing with other homeschoolers bringing in deception. I would not be liked because I would quickly speak up.

I love Margret’s idea of just trying to connect with other like-minded families and just getting together once in a while. I’m praying to that community of families too.

Thanks for the input and prayers guys. I love that my wife is more open to investigating things and is getting better discernment when it comes to false teachings and cults (I have been seasoning that slowly for years LOL). I showed her a bunch of Mormon stuff a week ago and she was shocked by what they believe (it really is shocking).

As to what Cheeky said, I feel the same way, it is hard these days with the media/entertainment/streaming etc. It is all so blatantly evil and doesn't even try to hide itself anymore (what is evil is called good and what is good is called evil). It can be quite exhausting trying to filter and protect from everything. Satan will always find a crack somewhere to exploit. That is why I have to rely on God to protect my kids because I can't do it all. I give it my best try and then rely on our omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient God to do the rest! Praise Him!

Eventually our kids will need to come to their own tests/trials and it will be up to them to make the right decisions based on what they learned or ignored (just like I had to). Pesky free will... God bless.

Is there some way that your church could facilitate a group comprising only members of your church?
Or provide an "advisor," or?
Without having to start an actual school (verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive)

Does your denomination have a publisher that produces school curriculum?

Is there some way that your church could facilitate a group comprising only members of your church?
Without having to start an actual school (verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive)

I don’t know about the poster, but my church has a Christian school and they use Abeka. They have a small student number but otherwise nobody homeschools. I’ve also noticed very few families with young kids. There are only two families using the nursery, that includes me with my kids.

My friend told me that you will see less young families the more conservative the church is. Unless I compromise and go to a Megachurch, it’s going to be slim pickings.

It was the same when Mike and I lived in FL. The Megachurch had all of the families and our fundamental Baptist church only had us with Peter. Everyone else was over 60 years old.

That was a valuable lesson God taught me the first year I got saved. Walking close to God often leads to a lonely road. Compromised or Christians in name only abound. The one other family with toddlers LOVES Harry Potter and they know where I stand but we still get together for play dates. I’m just a bit defeated at the moment and trying to find ways to make my stances as the subjects come up.

I’m curious what the original poster’s experience has been just even finding fellowship in general.

Yes, we go to a baptist Church that has an independent group of homeschoolers that rent a space and come in periodically. They use Classical Conversations which we didn't really care for because it is very expensive and seemed to operate similar to a MLM. Our Church is also part of the SBC so they have ties with Lifeway publishers. I don't know if the leadership would be open to allowing a grassroots co-op but it is definitely a consideration for us when the time is right.

I don’t know about the poster, but my church has a Christian school and they use Abeka. They have a small student number but otherwise nobody homeschools. I’ve also noticed very few families with young kids. There are only two families using the nursery, that includes me with my kids.

My friend told me that you will see less young families the more conservative the church is. Unless I compromise and go to a Megachurch, it’s going to be slim pickings.

It was the same when Mike and I lived in FL. The Megachurch had all of the families and our fundamental Baptist church only had us with Peter. Everyone else was over 60 years old.

That was a valuable lesson God taught me the first year I got saved. Walking close to God often leads to a lonely road. Compromised or Christians in name only abound. The one other family with toddlers LOVES Harry Potter and they know where I stand but we still get together for play dates. I’m just a bit defeated at the moment and trying to find ways to make my stances as the subjects come up.

I’m curious what the original poster’s experience has been just even finding fellowship in general.

A way to increase families with kids in your church . . . invite a family to come with you/meet at the church, or offer to bring their kids with yours to church/Sunday School (the parents might be grateful for some alone-time, or separate time with an older child having issues, etc.). If VBS is still going on/coming up, offer to bring the neighborhood kids with you, or you might have to be the VBS teacher for a year or two. A lot of those older church members may have unchurched grandkids, grand nieces/nephews, and great grandkids that would bring them or would volunteer to help or teach VBS. A big issue might be transportation for the kids and/or seniors/elderly,

Sometimes, having free nutritious breakfast and maybe lunch will bring in kids and volunteers, who have a hard time affording nutritious food and/or AC. When school's out for the summer, a lot of families have a hard time because the free/reduced-price meals at school aren't available. A lot of people can't afford AC. Getting to the church can also be problematic.

Membership in churches can go in cycles, and usually reflects available ministries.

Using the churches I go to as examples. The Sunday church is almost all very young families and college-age adults, with a few older people. The families with older kids, middle-aged, and seniors/elderly are the ones missing. In this case, it's the location and mission of the church that drives this (focused on college/university students). This also gives young adults opportunities to serve in capacities they wouldn't have in other places, like Elder, chairs of committees, etc., and is a great fit for a Vicar. The Wednesday church has a good age balance with kids' and immigrant ministries (and a wide range of other ministries/programs). The Wednesday church is a lot larger, though. Both are very conservative, but Sunday worship styles are different. Sunday church is extremely traditional and liturgical, while Wednesday church Sunday service is modern with a Wednesday service that has traditional music, but no liturgy. It's only seniors/elderly at Wednesday service, in part because it's on a weekday in the middle of the day, There's a fellowship luncheon afterwards and then Bible study or something specific for seniors. This ministry is working on growing because there are a lot of unchurched seniors/elderly in the community. The big issue here is transportation because older stop driving and most volunteers for the transportation ministry are working, so not available. This church is also partnered with the local public schools to provide services when needs arise, often being called before secular and government agencies.

If someone builds it, staffs it, advertises it, to target audience, provides a way to/from it (depending on the target audience), they will come.

A way to increase families with kids in your church . . . invite a family to come with you/meet at the church, or offer to bring their kids with yours to church/Sunday School (the parents might be grateful for some alone-time, or separate time with an older child having issues, etc.). If VBS is still going on/coming up, offer to bring the neighborhood kids with you, or you might have to be the VBS teacher for a year or two. A lot of those older church members may have unchurched grandkids, grand nieces/nephews, and great grandkids that would bring them or would volunteer to help or teach VBS. A big issue might be transportation for the kids and/or seniors/elderly,

Sometimes, having free nutritious breakfast and maybe lunch will bring in kids and volunteers, who have a hard time affording nutritious food and/or AC. When school's out for the summer, a lot of families have a hard time because the free/reduced-price meals at school aren't available. A lot of people can't afford AC. Getting to the church can also be problematic.

Membership in churches can go in cycles, and usually reflects available ministries.

Using the churches I go to as examples. The Sunday church is almost all very young families and college-age adults, with a few older people. The families with older kids, middle-aged, and seniors/elderly are the ones missing. In this case, it's the location and mission of the church that drives this (focused on college/university students). This also gives young adults opportunities to serve in capacities they wouldn't have in other places, like Elder, chairs of committees, etc., and is a great fit for a Vicar. The Wednesday church has a good age balance with kids' and immigrant ministries (and a wide range of other ministries/programs). The Wednesday church is a lot larger, though. Both are very conservative, but Sunday worship styles are different. Sunday church is extremely traditional and liturgical, while Wednesday church Sunday service is modern with a Wednesday service that has traditional music, but no liturgy. It's only seniors/elderly at Wednesday service, in part because it's on a weekday in the middle of the day, There's a fellowship luncheon afterwards and then Bible study or something specific for seniors. This ministry is working on growing because there are a lot of unchurched seniors/elderly in the community. The big issue here is transportation because older stop driving and most volunteers for the transportation ministry are working, so not available. This church is also partnered with the local public schools to provide services when needs arise, often being called before secular and government agencies.

If someone builds it, staffs it, advertises it, to target audience, provides a way to/from it (depending on the target audience), they will come.
Our church is 45 minutes away so it would be tough to bring random children when we don’t have space in our car for a 5th person. My church is in an affluent area so unfortunately young families can’t afford to buy or live near there. You bring up some great ideas but unfortunately they aren’t practical for my family to implement at this moment.

Back