What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Certainty of Answered Prayer

Growing in Grace

Well-known
Here's a brief intro for an author I've been learning from lately.

E. M. Bounds​

"To answer prayer is God's universal rule."

Edward McKendree Bounds (1835-1913) practiced law for three years until he was called to preach the gospel. While serving as chaplain during the Civil War, he was captured and held prisoner in Nashville, Tennessee. After his release, he held several pastorates. His books on prayer have been continual best-sellers for over fifty years.

WE put it to the front. We unfold it on a banner never to be lowered or folded, that God does hear and answer prayer. God has always heard and answered prayer. God will forever hear and answer prayer. He is the same yesterday, today and forever, ever blessed, ever to be adored. Amen. He changes not. As he has always answered prayer, so will he ever continue to do so.

To answer prayer is God's universal rule. It is his unchangeable and irrepealable law to answer prayer. It is his invariable, specific and inviolate promise to answer prayer. The few denials to prayer in the Scriptures are the exceptions to the general rule, suggestive and startling by their fewness, exception and emphasis.

The possibilities of prayer, then, lie in the great truth, illimitable in its broadness, fathomless in its depths, exhaustless in its fullness, that God answers every prayer from every true soul who truly prays.

God's Word does not say, "Call unto me, and you will thereby be trained into the happy art of knowing how to be denied. Ask, and you will learn sweet patience by getting nothing." Far from it. But it is definite, clear and positive: "Ask, and it shall be given unto you."

We have this case among many in the Old Testament:

Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, O that thou wouldst bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thy hand might be with me, and that thou wouldst keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me.

And God readily granted him the things which he had requested.

Hannah, distressed in soul because she was childless, and desiring a man child, repaired to the house of prayer, and prayed, and this is the record she makes of the direct answer she received: "For this child I prayed, and the Lord hath given me the petition which I asked of him."

God's promises and purposes go direct to the fact of giving for the asking. The answer to our prayers is the motive constantly presented in the Scriptures to encourage us to pray and to quicken us in this spiritual exercise. Take such strong, clear passages as these:

Call unto me, and I will answer thee. He shall call unto me, and I will answer. Ask, and it shall be given you. Seek, and ye shall find. Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

This is Jesus Christ's law of prayer. He does not say, "Ask, and something shall be given you." Nor does he say, "Ask, and you will be trained into piety." But it is that when you ask, the very thing asked for will be given. Jesus does not say, "Knock, and some door will be opened." But the very door at which you are knocking will be opened. To make this doubly sure, Jesus Christ duplicates and reiterates the promise of the answer: "For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened."

Answered prayer is the spring of love, and is the direct encouragement to pray. "I love the Lord because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live."

The certainty of the father's giving is assured by the father's relation, and by the ability and goodness of the father. Earthly parents, frail, infirm, and limited in goodness and ability, give when the child asks and seeks. The parental heart responds most readily to the cry for bread. The hunger of the child touches and wins the father heart. So God, our heavenly Father, is as easily and strongly moved by our prayers as the earthly parent. "If ye being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father in heaven give good gifts unto them that ask him?" "Much more," just as much more does God's goodness, tenderness and ability exceed that of man's.

Just as the asking is specific, so also is the answer specific. The child does not ask for one thing and get another. He does not cry for bread, and get a stone. He does not ask for an egg, and receive a scorpion. He does not ask for a fish, and get a serpent. Christ demands specific asking. He responds to specific praying by specific giving.

To give the very thing prayed for, and not something else, is fundamental to Christ's law of praying. No prayer for the cure of blind eyes did he ever answer by curing deaf ears. The very thing prayed for is the very thing which he gives. The exceptions to this are confirmatory of this great law of prayer. He who asks for bread gets bread, and not a stone. If he asks for a fish, he receives a fish, and not a serpent. No cry is so pleading and so powerful as the child's cry for bread. The cravings of hunger, the appetite felt, and the need realized, all create and propel the crying of the child. Our prayers must be as earnest, as needy, and as hungry as the hungry child's cry for bread. Simple, artless, direct, and specific must be our praying, according to Christ's law of prayer and his teaching of God's fatherhood.

The illustration and enforcement of the law of prayer are found in the specific answers given to prayer. Gethsemane is the only seeming exception. The prayer of Jesus Christ in that awful hour of darkness and hell was conditioned on these words, "If it be possible, let this cup pass from me." But beyond these utterances of our Lord was the soul and life prayer of the willing, suffering divine victim, "Nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." The prayer was answered, the angel came, strength was imparted, and the meek sufferer in silence drank the bitter cup.

Two cases of unanswered prayer are recorded in the Scriptures in addition to the Gethsemane prayer of our Lord. The first was that of David for the life of his baby child, but for good reasons to Almighty God the request was not granted. The second was that of Paul for the removal of the thorn in the flesh, which was denied. But we are constrained to believe these must have been notable as exceptions to God's rule, as illustrated in the history of prophet, priest, apostle and saint, as recorded in the divine Word. There must have been unrevealed reasons which moved God to veer from his settled and fixed rule to answer prayer by giving the specific thing prayed for.

Our Lord did not hold the Syrophoenician woman in the school of unanswered prayer to test and mature her faith, neither did he answer her prayer by healing or saving her husband. She asks for the healing of her daughter, and Christ healed the daughter. She received the very thing for which she asked the Lord Jesus Christ. It was in the school of answered prayer our Lord disciplined and perfected her faith, and it was by giving her a specific answer to her prayer. Her prayer centered on her daughter. She prayed for the one thing, the healing of her child. And the answer of our Lord centered likewise on the daughter.

We tread altogether too gingerly upon the great and precious promises of God, and too often we ignore them wholly. The promise is the ground on which faith stands in asking of God. This is the one basis of prayer. We limit God's ability. We measure God's ability and willingness to answer prayer by the standard of men. We limit the Holy One of Israel. How full of benefaction and remedy to suffering mankind are the promises as given us by James in his Epistle, fifth chapter! How personal and mediate do they make God in prayer! They are a direct challenge to our faith. They are encouraging to large expectations in all the requests we make of God. Prayer affects God in a direct manner, and has its aim and end inaffecting him. Prayer takes hold of God, and induces him to do large things for us, whether personal or relative, temporal or spiritual, earthly or heavenly.

The great gap between Bible promises to prayer and the income from praying is almost unspeakably great, so much so that it is a prolific source of infidelity. It breeds unbelief in prayer as a great moral force, and begets doubt really as to the power of prayer. Christianity needs today, above all things else, men and women who can in prayer put God to the test and who can prove his promises. When this happy day for the world begins, it will be earth's brightest day, and will be heaven's dawning day on earth. These are the sort of men and women needed in this modern day in the church. It is not educated men who are needed for the times. It is not more money that is required. It is not more machinery, more organization, more ecclesiastical laws, but it is men and women who know how to pray, who can in prayer lay hold upon God and bring him down to earth, and move him to take hold of earth's affairs mightily and put life and power into the church and into all of its machinery.

The church and the world greatly need saints who can bridge this wide gap between the praying done and the small number of answers received. Saints are needed whose faith is bold enough and sufficiently far-reaching to put God to the test. The cry comes even now out of heaven to the people of the present-day church, as it sounded forth in the days of Malachi: "Prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts." God is waiting to be put to the test by his people in prayer. He delights in being put to the test on his promises. It is his highest pleasure to answer prayer to prove the reliability of his promises. Nothing worthy of God nor of great value to men will be accomplished till this is done.

Our gospel belongs to the miraculous. It was projected on the miraculous plane. It cannot be maintained but by the supernatural. Take the supernatural out of our holy religion, and its life and power are gone, and it degenerates into a mere mode of morals. The miraculous is divine power. Prayer has in it this same power. Prayer brings this divine power into the ranks of men and puts it to work. Prayer brings into the affairs of earth a supernatural element. Our gospel when truly presented is the power of God. Never was the church more in need of those who can and will test Almighty God. Never did the church need more than now those who can raise up everywhere memorials of God's supernatural power, memorials of answers to prayer, memorials of promises fulfilled. These would do more to silence the enemy of souls, the foe of God and the adversary of the church than any modern scheme or present day plan for the success of the gospel. Such memorials reared by praying people would dumbfound God's foes, strengthen weak saints, and would fill strong saints with triumphant rapture.

The most prolific source of infidelity, and that which maligns and hinders praying, and that which obscures the being and glory of God most effectually, is unanswered prayer. Better not to pray at all than to go through a dead form, which secures no answer, brings no glory to God, and supplies no good to man. Nothing so hardens the heart and nothing so blinds us to the unseen and the eternal, as this kind of prayerless praying.

link: E. M. Bounds: Certainty of Answers

The most prolific source of infidelity, and that which maligns and hinders praying, and that which obscures the being and glory of God most effectually, is unanswered prayer. Better not to pray at all than to go through a dead form, which secures no answer, brings no glory to God, and supplies no good to man. Nothing so hardens the heart and nothing so blinds us to the unseen and the eternal, as this kind of prayerless praying.
There are times in our lives when we aren't praying in faith, a childlike trust in our all powerful Heavenly Father's will -- like Jesus :thankyou:

Yesterday I was with a girlfriend who has an older brother coming to live with her. She said he hasn't stepped foot in a church since his young wife died over 30-yrs ago. It makes you want to cry knowing it's these sorts of 'unanswered' prayers that people can bitterly hate God for.

I don't know what I'd do if I were him, so I want to practice praying as a child and learn to trust Him more and more.

I’m not sure what he is saying here. Is he saying that our prayers don’t get answered because we are praying a “dead form” of prayer?

One of the hardest and most painful things I have ever had to learn to do in my Christian walk is to trust the Sovereignty of God and believe that His silence is still His Love. To learn to stop demanding of God and to release the agony of my desires into His hands.

Two cases of unanswered prayer are recorded in the Scriptures in addition to the Gethsemane prayer of our Lord. The first was that of David for the life of his baby child, but for good reasons to Almighty God the request was not granted. The second was that of Paul for the removal of the thorn in the flesh, which was denied. But we are constrained to believe these must have been notable as exceptions to God's rule,
Paul’s prayer was not unanswered. Paul did receive an answer to his prayer when he asked God three times to remove his thorn in the flesh. It was, “My grace is sufficient for you.”
He is also calling the Lord Jesus’ prayer in Gethsemane “unanswered.” Really??? It was answered by God when the Lord Jesus, who is one with the Father and in 100% agreement with His will, uttered “thy will be done.”

Better not to pray at all than to go through a dead form, which secures no answer, brings no glory to God, and supplies no good to man
Wouldn’t this declaration just cause a person to second guess their prayers all the time, as to whether or not they are faith-filled and “fervent” enough? And to give up on praying altogether because it’s “better not to pray at all?” So then that person would have no fellowship with God in prayer, at all.
Prayer is so much more than asking.

(Sorry - don’t mean to be unappreciative as I know you put this in the “encouragement” section. 😊 Just have been through a whole lot regarding this, is all. )

I’m not sure what he is saying here. Is he saying that our prayers don’t get answered because we are praying a “dead form” of prayer?

One of the hardest and most painful things I have ever had to learn to do in my Christian walk is to trust the Sovereignty of God and believe that His silence is still His Love. To learn to stop demanding of God and to release the agony of my desires into His hands.
:100percent:
It is painful for me when God’s answer isn’t fast or easy.

The awkward wording, such as “dead form” is easier to grapple with when we remember when he was writing (Civil War era).

I know that God loves me more than I love my children. That is beyond my ability to understand. I know that he watches over me and turns everything that I live through to good, despite my sinful nature. I pray and I trust him for any outcome. His understanding is way beyond mine. I accept that he knows best. I pray.

Paul’s prayer was not unanswered. Paul did receive an answer to his prayer when he asked God three times to remove his thorn in the flesh. It was, “My grace is sufficient for you.”
He is also calling the Lord Jesus’ prayer in Gethsemane “unanswered.” Really??? It was answered by God when the Lord Jesus, who is one with the Father and in 100% agreement with His will, uttered “thy will be done.”
Again, I should have provided a brief bio for EM Bounds — sorry!

He suffered so much, the loss of several children & wives; soldier & Chaplin during the Civil War; and it’s out of distress that he shares a unique confidence in God’s trustworthy goodness as He answers our prayers. “The possibilities of prayer, then, lie in the great truth, illimitable in its broadness, fathomless in its depths, exhaustless in its fullness, that God answers every prayer from every true soul who truly prays.

God's Word does not say, "Call unto me, and you will thereby be trained into the happy art of knowing how to be denied. Ask, and you will learn sweet patience by getting nothing." Far from it. But it is definite, clear and positive: ‘Ask, and it shall be given unto you.’”

It isn’t worded well to say Jesus & Paul had unanswered prayers. His audience and his own grief needed reassurance that God is always good, even when His answer to some prayers do not relieve us of painful circumstances.

Wouldn’t this declaration just cause a person to second guess their prayers all the time, as to whether or not they are faith-filled and “fervent” enough? And to give up on praying altogether because it’s “better not to pray at all?” So then that person would have no fellowship with God in prayer, at all.
Prayer is so much more than asking.

(Sorry - don’t mean to be unappreciative as I know you put this in the “encouragement” section. 😊 Just have been through a whole lot regarding this, is all. )
I appreciate the struggle.

In reflection on my friend’s brother, and each of us when we aren’t receiving answers from God that make sense; EM Bounds challenges me to investigate my confidence in prayers.

Fervently struggling through my needs & desires to trust that God is so good—how can I doubt Him even when it seems that I didn’t get an answer?

Again, I should have provided a brief bio for EM Bounds — sorry!

He suffered so much, the loss of several children & wives; soldier & Chaplin during the Civil War; and it’s out of distress that he shares a unique confidence in God’s trustworthy goodness as He answers our prayers. “The possibilities of prayer, then, lie in the great truth, illimitable in its broadness, fathomless in its depths, exhaustless in its fullness, that God answers every prayer from every true soul who truly prays.

God's Word does not say, "Call unto me, and you will thereby be trained into the happy art of knowing how to be denied. Ask, and you will learn sweet patience by getting nothing." Far from it. But it is definite, clear and positive: ‘Ask, and it shall be given unto you.’”

It isn’t worded well to say Jesus & Paul had unanswered prayers. His audience and his own grief needed reassurance that God is always good, even when His answer to some prayers do not relieve us of painful circumstances.
Thanks. What’s funny is that I have a big thick book on my nightstand right now “EM Bounds on Prayer.” It is several volumes in one book. I found it at a thrift shop and thought it looked good but just haven’t tried to read it yet. Every time I do I think to myself, this book is so long, the time I spend reading about prayer could be spent praying 😆
I have been spiritually attacked in the past with Charismatic teachings on prayer that were just plain wrong, so I am a bit sensitive. One example…someone gave me a cassette tape years ago on praying for your unsaved loved ones. The teaching basically placed all of the responsibility on the “intercessor” and your amount of faith in prayer, your fervency in prayer, etc. It made it sound as if your words could break the person free somehow. It made me feel like people would go to hell if I didn’t pray well enough. And that I had to work up my faith, and I felt guilty when I didn’t have much faith. It was just awful and a tremendous burden that made me dread prayer and then feel horrible when I saw no results.

Another thing I have experienced are teachings or actual people accusing, saying that such and so didn’t happen because you must have not had enough faith when you prayed for it. In other words, the lack of that “yes” answer was evidence of lack of faith in prayer. Things like that are very, very spiritually damaging especially to those in wheelchairs or who have lost children.

God's Word does not say, "Call unto me, and you will thereby be trained into the happy art of knowing how to be denied. Ask, and you will learn sweet patience by getting nothing." Far from it. But it is definite, clear and positive: "Ask, and it shall be given unto you."
Our Lord did not hold the Syrophoenician woman in the school of unanswered prayer to test and mature her faith, neither did he answer her prayer by healing or saving her husband. She asks for the healing of her daughter, and Christ healed the daughter.
Christianity needs today, above all things else, men and women who can in prayer put God to the test and who can prove his promises.
Better not to pray at all than to go through a dead form, which secures no answer, brings no glory to God, and supplies no good to man.
Amen ... amen ... amen ... and amen!!!!

Years ago I grew so tired of praying faithless prayers! Thinking in the natural when God has promised the supernatural. Christianity itself is supernatural. Its very foundation is supernatural. Our God is supernatural and His promises are supernatural, yet we try to lay claim to those promises on natural grounds.

We pray with a natural mindset. When we pray, we so often attempt to presuppose God's reaction and limit His ability. First, we pray amiss because we pray out of our own selfish desires. And then we pray, making excuses for God to not actually answer our prayer, but allow Him to do something other than what we need. Yes, God is God and knows better than we: for, as Christ prayed, "Not my will, but Thine be done," is a truly wise and humble prayer. Yet the great saints of the Bible prayed believing what they asked for would occur. I think of Elijah praying for drought and there was drought; and then praying for rain and it rained. I think of so many others, too-- all humble men and women of God, willing to accept His will, yet asking for specific things and receiving exactly what they asked for.

And so the struggle I have been engaging in is how to humbly acknowledge God's unsearchable wisdom without limiting His power. How do I pray in faith that I will receive that for which I pray, without trying to make God into a vending machine or a genie that does my bidding. The only answer I've come up with is to continually seek to walk close to Him; learning of Him; getting to know Him; trusting in Him; and then, when I pray, praying in the full assurance that I am led by the Holy Spirit.

Am I there yet? Not even close. But I have been seeing prayers answered and answered just the way I prayed them. God wants to bless us His children. But are we willing to put in the effort to learn to pray persistently, with zeal, and in faith? Or are we content to live far below what our Father desires to give us?

Thanks. What’s funny is that I have a big thick book on my nightstand right now “EM Bounds on Prayer.” It is several volumes in one book. I found it at a thrift shop and thought it looked good but just haven’t tried to read it yet. Every time I do I think to myself, this book is so long, the time I spend reading about prayer could be spent praying 😆
I have been spiritually attacked in the past with Charismatic teachings on prayer that were just plain wrong, so I am a bit sensitive. One example…someone gave me a cassette tape years ago on praying for your unsaved loved ones. The teaching basically placed all of the responsibility on the “intercessor” and your amount of faith in prayer, your fervency in prayer, etc. It made it sound as if your words could break the person free somehow. It made me feel like people would go to hell if I didn’t pray well enough. And that I had to work up my faith, and I felt guilty when I didn’t have much faith. It was just awful and a tremendous burden that made me dread prayer and then feel horrible when I saw no results.

Another thing I have experienced are teachings or actual people accusing, saying that such and so didn’t happen because you must have not had enough faith when you prayed for it. In other words, the lack of that “yes” answer was evidence of lack of faith in prayer. Things like that are very, very spiritually damaging especially to those in wheelchairs or who have lost children.
Well said, Andi. There is a fine line. And a balanced approach is needed. And that fine line is the one I've been seeking to walk. There are times that I know that I know that I know and when I pray I'm filled with faith. And in those cases I receive the answer. And then there are other times that I pray and try to muster up faith, but it's not there ... or at least I'm not sensing it in my spirit. And I often don't see the answer. Don't ask me why the one and not the other. I have no idea. But I am seeking ... and one day I believe God will reveal to me the answer I need.

For me personally, l have had to learn to pray while placing my faith in who He is, rather than faith in the words that are coming out of my mouth. If that makes any sense. So I ask Him, believing that He will do what He deems good because He loves me and is my Father and is all-powerful God, but with the attitude of heart “thy will be done.” That’s the best I can do. Any attempts to improve my prayers have always seemed to complicate my faith and put the burden on myself when I’m supposed to be casting my cares on Him.
Some of my answered prayers were said just matter-of-fact and I wasn’t aware of any increase of my faith at the time. They were just a request and I asked trusting that He heard me and would give me the best answer.

AMEN

HIS silence is still HIS LOVE and HIS ANSWER sometimes. My battle is to conform my will, my thoughts to His Word.

I've prayed for George's healing with 2 separate answers both from the same loving God.

1: 5.5 years ago for healing from his brain tumour. Answered. I got 5.5 years extra out of George's life by God's grace.

2: This year, to heal him from a completely different cancer. Answered. No. God graduated George to heaven rapidly without a lot of time suffering and in His time for His purposes.

While I don't understand why I'm at peace with both answers. Because I want HIS will to be done. My will is based on my imperfect understanding. I may never fully understand why. But I do know that God is perfect, perfectly just and compassionate and loving.

And I give thanks for the following in George's death (graduation to heaven)

He doesn't suffer any more. Not even from the usual aches and pains and the depression cycles he was prone to.

He is in God's presence. Joy forevermore. Perfect peace, fully loved, at rest. Nothing more to do down here. Done. Finished. Graduated.

So incredibly thankful he was saved.

I am comforted by God in the walk thru the valley of grief. Not a platitude, I really do know that comfort.

I'm cared for by God in the fears I had about managing life, the budget, our finances, stuff around the apartment, the car. The stuff G used to do.

I'm at peace knowing that God took him home before the chemo people could put him thru more suffering, before they could even move him down the hall.

God called him home the very day after his sister made it in to see him. She was there to help me thru a mountain of the paperwork and the funeral home people and clearing his office.

The Rapture is soon. I'll be reunited with him soon by Rapture or death which ever God has in mind for me. My treasure is in heaven. God, George, my saved family, some grandchildren that were miscarried. I want to join them but not until His work for me is done down here.

Back