What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California breaks record for most 4.0 earthquakes in a single year sparking fears of the 'Big One'

Southern California has broken the record for the most magnitude 4 and above earthquakes in a single year after a magnitude 4.7 earthquake and five aftershocks rocked Malibu on Thursday.

The average number of magnitude 4 and above earthquakes for this region is about eight per year, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) seismologist Lucy Jones said in a televised Q&A following the earthquake.
'So far, we've had 14 in Southern California - the largest previous year was 13.'

The unusually high number of quakes in recent weeks IS RAISING FEARS THE Increased seismic activity mean the region's long overdue 'big one' is coming.

'The big one' refers to a hypothetical, high-magnitude earthquake that could one day occur along the San Andreas fault in California, which spans 800 miles up and down the state's coastline.

More

No California natives are in any fear after a 4.7 magnitude earthquake. It's unlikely they even noticed it, and if they did notice it they probably didn't give it a 2nd thought.
I believe the point of the article was how many 4+ magnitudes there have been compared to the past.
4 magnitudes typically don't do any damage. But when they're happening more regularly than usual, it makes the geologists notice.

You Alaskans are a different breed , i bet you guys have cement for breakfast🤣🤣🤣🤣

Both Andy C and I grew up in SoCal and I'm pretty sure he'd agree with me. In 70 or 71 we had one that damaged some buildings. Even that one didn't scare us... just another quake... you get desensitized at a young age if you grow up in an area with lots of quakes.

I believe the point of the article was how many 4+ magnitudes there have been compared to the past.
4 magnitudes typically don't do any damage. But when they're happening more regularly than usual, it makes the geologists notice.

My response was addressing the sensational wording of the article title.

I think those who follow quakes could tell us that globally quakes numbers are increasingly dramatically. Sign of the times, I believe. Here we only have to worry about giant hail and hurricane force winds. Since I grew up with quakes I wouldn't mind trading the hail and wind for quakes since quakes don't bother me.

It hasn't been very long ago that Southern California had a major earthquake.
I think that's why some people get rattled by earthquakes when they are higher in magnitude and more frequent than usual even if it's only a 4.

New 7.1 earthquake hits Southern California -- 1 day after largest temblor in decades.
Published July 5, 2019

My response was addressing the sensational wording of the article title.

I think those who follow quakes could tell us that globally quakes numbers are increasingly dramatically. Sign of the times, I believe. Here we only have to worry about giant hail and hurricane force winds. Since I grew up with quakes I wouldn't mind trading the hail and wind for quakes since quakes don't bother me.
I've lived in Southern California all of my life and a little shaker doesn't bother me at all. We have earthquakes every day, as you likely know. Most are so small we don't notice them. If there's a little shaking or rolling it's no big deal. But we have had big earthquakes and I have been through them. They didn't scare me but it surely made me prepare in the case one would be a major one that could cause real damage or injury like the 1994 Northridge earthquake. I don't know if you lived here for that one but it even caused a freeway to collapse.

I've lived in Southern California all of my life and a little shaker doesn't bother me at all. We have earthquakes every day, as you likely know. Most are so small we don't notice them. If there's a little shaking or rolling it's no big deal. But we have had big earthquakes and I have been through them. They didn't scare me but it surely made me prepare in the case one would be a major one that could cause real damage or injury like the 1994 Northridge earthquake. I don't know if you lived here for that one but it even caused a freeway to collapse.

I was gone for good from California in 1982 except for a 3 year military tour at Beale AFB in Northern California. When I was a kid it was fun to feel a quake. During the big one in 70 or 71 it woke me up. I was being rolled from one side of the bed to the other. The frame house was flexing big time. My dad was shaving when it hit. That was about 7.0. The number doesn't always suggest how much surface movement there will be, of course.

In 2002, within a month of us moving into our new home in Alaska after my AF retirment, Fairbanks got hit with an 8.2 later downgraded to a 7.9. All six of us (parents and 4 kids) were just about to walk inside to the local Sam's Club when a horde of people came running out. We never even felt it but apparently inside the store things were falling off the shelves...

I was gone for good from California in 1982 except for a 3 year military tour at Beale AFB in Northern California. When I was a kid it was fun to feel a quake. During the big one in 70 or 71 it woke me up. I was being rolled from one side of the bed to the other. The frame house was flexing big time. My dad was shaving when it hit. That was about 7.0. The number doesn't always suggest how much surface movement there will be, of course.

In 2002, within a month of us moving into our new home in Alaska after my AF retirment, Fairbanks got hit with an 8.2 later downgraded to a 7.9. All six of us (parents and 4 kids) were just about to walk inside to the local Sam's Club when a horde of people came running out. We never even felt it but apparently inside the store things were falling off the shelves...
Alaska has certainly had their share of earthquakes too

Literally thousands while I lived there.
Isn't Alaska part of the
Cascadia Subduction Zone?
I think it runs from Oregon through Washington State and Alaska, into Canada.
That fault line is a big one, kind of like our San Andreas fault but San Andreas only runs from Southern California upwards to Northern California. I think the Cascadia is bigger because that one runs through from Oregon all the way to Canada.
It's part of the Ring of Fire.

Back