What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boston hospital to scale back on child abuse and neglect reports that can perpetuate 'structural racism'

A Boston, Massachusetts, hospital announced Tuesday that after finding Black mothers were more likely to be reported for child abuse and neglect if a toxicology report came back positive, it would be taking steps to reevaluate the process in order to avoid perpetuating "structural racism."

"Black pregnant people are more likely to be drug tested and to be reported to child welfare systems than white pregnant people," said Mass General Brigham, a nonprofit health care system.

"As a part of our United Against Racism effort to achieve health equity for patients and communities across our system, we… are addressing policies that may unwittingly perpetuate structural racism," Mass General stated.

The announcement pertained to pregnant women who are using drugs, which may show up in fetal testing.

More

Why can't they drug test all pregnant women? It's such a non-invasive urine test.
Why should anyone be drug tested in an ER unless necessary for diagnosis and/or treatment?
There are many reasons why a doctor might prescribe a medication that could give a positive drug test. Some things will cause a positive result for 30 days or even more.

If I went to an ER and was pregnant and there was no reason to suspect I was abusing any kind of legal or illegal substance that could harm my baby, why should I (or my insurance company) have to pay for such a medically unnecessary test? This could end up harming me if I have insurance that has an annual or per-occurrence cap. In general, this would run up costs for everyone, which would tend to harm those without insurance or with minimal insurance the most.

The same rationale used for universal drug testing for pregnant women in the ER, all parents in an ER could be mandated to be tested for gun shot and cleaning solvent residue to determine if they have guns. and if they use them. Ditto covid, genetic, etc. testing. etc.

Universal testing for something in a medical setting to accomplish a social goal can have the effect of keeping people from accessing a needed medical (or other) service or facility, thus causing further harm by not getting care. It's an invasion of privacy and Fourth Amendment rights.

The problem facing the hospitals is that any reporting of abuse whether this type or any other is so racially tense that abuse is under reported in certain ethnic categories (in Canada this occurs with First Nations) and the children who NEED protection and the safety net, are tossed aside in the name of political correctness. They suffer in far greater numbers because nobody dares to report it for fear of the backlash.

Reminds me of Israel's condition, with leadership so crooked that good people stayed quiet about it because of the evil times and lack of justice in regards to evil:

For I know the vast number of your sins
and the depth of your rebellions.
You oppress good people by taking bribes
and deprive the poor of justice in the courts.
So those who are smart keep their mouths shut,
for it is an evil time.

Amos 5:12-13

Of course we are in the time of grace and the Gospel must be shared but the principle is still active today in many situations.

They used to do that here in NC - think they still do, especially if they see mom acting like a fool. Should make it SOP so they don’t offend 🙄…..
Well, if I got tested because they tested everyone so someone else wouldn't get offended because she got tested, I'd surely be offended. Especially since even just getting tested can create issues with security clearances, on the stand, etc.

The problem facing the hospitals is that any reporting of abuse whether this type or any other is so racially tense that abuse is under reported in certain ethnic categories (in Canada this occurs with First Nations) and the children who NEED protection and the safety net, are tossed aside in the name of political correctness. They suffer in far greater numbers because nobody dares to report it for fear of the backlash.
In Missouri, there was a huge problem with over-reporting because ex's would take child(ren) to the ER during visitation/turn during shared custody and allege stuff that wasn't true :mad:

When they went to a hospital outside of the jurisdiction where the alleged abuse or neglect happened, it sometimes added at least another three days that the allegations and Wanted status were in the system because the State civilian investigators investigated and then passed it on to the local department, and a lot of innocent people ended up with employment and legal issues because of being arrested, and then having to deal with the consequences :mad:

Back