What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic Training - Something I wrote

Goodboy

Just waiting for the Rapture at this point!
Basic Training

When you enter the arm services the first thing they have you do is to go through what they call “Basic Training”. Basic training (also called boot camp) lasts about 10 weeks. During this time you have to get up earlier than normal, go through all kinds of drills and exercises and deal with a drill instructor constantly yelling at you. This is a very hard time and some don’t make it through. So why do they do this?

There are several reasons the main one being to prepare the soldiers for what is to come being war. This is also a time where they can determine who will be leaders and those who have special skills. The main point I want to make here is that the goal of basic training is preparation. The goal is not to have a good time or be comfortable during basic training. If you slack off during basic training, you will not make a very good soldier.

You most likely know all of what I have stated, but may have never connected this to our Christian walk. When I first got saved I wondered why God did not just take me to Heaven right away. The Bible states that the world is not our home and that we will have trouble while we are here. I was like, well then just take me home now. Well one of the answers I received from a Christian as to why I was still here, was to share Christ with others. This answer satisfied me for a while.

As many years passed and I had shared my faith with many unbelievers, the question came back to me as why am I still here? It seemed to me there must be another reason God keeps us on earth. I know a lot of Christian who do not share their faith, so why are they still here? I believe the answer is that this is basic training for the Christian. This is a time when we can prepare for what is to come, God can determine who will be leaders and we can earn our rewards in Heaven.

Yes there will be rewards in Heaven. But how can one be rewarded, if the task takes no effort? Would you look to reward your kids if they told you that they watched cartoons all morning? Now if they told you they cleaned up their room, washed the car or cut the grass, you may want to reward them. The same is true with God. There are hard things we must endure in this life so that God can reward us in the next, but God will not give you more than you can bear.

1 Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

So can you have good things in this life? Of course! However, as a Christian your focus should be on Heaven as this is only Basic Training!

Goodboy :)

Back