What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Shelter in the Time of Storm — Jack Kinsella

In 1880, Vernon Charlesworth composed a hymn that found immediate popularity among fishermen along the north coast of England. They were often heard singing it as they approached their harbors during inclement weather.

“The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A Shelter in the time of storm.”

I’ve always loved that hymn, but Charlesworth’s words seemed particularly eloquent to me as Ophelia raged about us.

“The raging storms may round us beat,
A Shelter in the time of storm
We’ll never leave our safe retreat,

During the worst of the storm, I noticed with surprise that, even as I was unconsciously humming the melody while fighting the wind and rain to get the generator up and running, I felt completely safe.

Not because my little house was designed to take whatever Ophelia was capable of dishing out but because I had an instant of clarity in which I saw, in a new and profound way, the truth of the saying that “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).

I don’t know if I can articulate what I mean by having seen this truth in a ‘new and profound way,’ but I can tell you it was a warm and wonderful experience.

It is sometimes easy to forget that God is actually in charge of EVERYTHING — lots of times I think I am, and God lets me.

But it is times like these, when something potentially catastrophic comes my way, that I find I am the most at peace. It reminds me that I am given stewardship over a few things but that God is in charge of EVERYTHING. Including outcomes.

There is little that makes one feel more helpless than facing the awesome power of a hurricane, but for me, it was a reminder that I am NOT ‘helpless’– but rather, DEPENDENT. I am dependent upon God for my provision and protection. As I am every single moment of every single day.

“A shade by day, defense by night,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
No fears alarm, no foes afright,
Continue Reading,,:

Rose thank you for that! He truly is our shelter in the time of storm. Today I was missing George badly, but the Lord comforted me as I reached out to Him.
I love you sissy 💗🫂
I pray for you every day beloved.
The Lord is our Comfort and has the utmost Compassion for us.
I always think of Psalm 26:1
When I need ABBA Father.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble"

He's ALWAYS with us. ❤️🫂

Back