What's new
Christian Community Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘Eco-Theology’: The Latest Departure From The Faith

By Dean Dwyer for
Harbinger's Daily

If I was to use the word “theology”, most Christians would have an accurate understanding of what it means. However, for the benefit of those who may be unclear, the word is composed of two Greek words: theos (“God”) and logos (“word”). In the literal sense, the study of theology refers to the study of words about God, specifically the revelation of God through His true and trustworthy Word. Therefore, the knowledge of God is the goal of theology.

Now, what if I used the word “ecotheology”? Well, if you want to know more, this is an excerpt from the Harvard Divinity Bulletin: “This course surveys constructive religious reflection, drawn from a variety of religious and spiritual traditions, that is informed by an ecological worldview and accountable to various forms of environmental activism. In constructing the syllabus, I sought to include constructive or ‘theological’ texts from as many different religious traditions as possible. As a result, the course functioned as an introduction to comparative theology as well as to the ways people of diverse faiths think about environmental issues.”

The reading list for the course is somewhat eye-opening but the last one really caught my attention. It is entitled “When God Was a Bird: Christianity, Animism, and the Re-Enchantment of the World”. In the description of the book, it reads: “Many environmentalists today identify as animists, which means they affirm the personhood of all living beings. In this volume, Wallace explores what it might mean for Christian theology to embrace the animist worldview.”

Might I say very strongly that no Christian should be adopting an animist worldview. However, syncretism between Christianity and animism is, sadly, being promoted. The website christiananimism.com claims as follows: “Animism is the word most widely used to describe humanity’s original spirituality and worldview. We believe it is the original biblical Christian belief; this is why we choose to speak of ‘Christian Animism’”. In short, animism is the belief that everything has a soul or spirit and since they believe this to be the case, animists believe each anima (Latin for “breath” or “spirit”) is a powerful spirit that can help or hurt them and therefore they should be worshiped or feared. Generally, animists will deify animals, stars and idols of any kind. As part of their belief system, they practice spiritism, witchcraft, divination and astrology. To protect themselves from evil spirits and placate the good spirits, animists use magic, spells, enchantments, talismans and charms. The Bible very clearly prohibits such practices!

More

“This course surveys constructive religious reflection, drawn from a variety of religious and spiritual traditions, that is informed by an ecological worldview and accountable to various forms of environmental activism. In constructing the syllabus, I sought to include constructive or ‘theological’ texts from as many different religious traditions as possible. As a result, the course functioned as an introduction to comparative theology as well as to the ways people of diverse faiths think about environmental issues.”
And in this short description of his syllabus, this professor has clearly revealed that he does not hold to a biblical world view and, quite possibly, is not even saved. Why Christian students would waste money on a course such as this is beyond me. :doh:

And in this short description of his syllabus, this professor has clearly revealed that he does not hold to a biblical world view and, quite possibly, is not even saved. Why Christian students would waste money on a course such as this is beyond me. :doh:
Just as the Bible says that in the last days there will be a lot of deception.

"Satan masquerades as an angel of light "

What a bunch of occult nonsense!

How ironic that the main symbol on his website is the labyrinth spiral representing the following:
  1. A labyrinth is a complex circular design containing a single path leading to the center with no dead ends or decisions to make.
  2. The walk can be seen as three stages: purgation (release), illumination (receiving), and union (returning).
  3. Purgation happens as you walk towards the center, shedding thoughts and distractions.
  4. Illumination occurs when you reach the center. It’s time for reflection and receiving wisdom or insights.
  5. Union takes place as you leave the center and integrate your experience on the return journey.
  6. Walking the labyrinth is not about getting lost but rather about finding oneself.
https://spiritualdesk.com/walking-the-labyrinth-a-spiritual-odyssey/

Satanism at it's heart. Masquerading as some form of Christianity nonetheless!

Labyrinths were big in the Emerging Church movement. 1999-2001 Something about a new form of meditation and prayer walking, both of which are common elements in witchcraft. It was big for a while, then other fads took over. I'm sorry to see it pop up again. Before that it was seen in the Dark Ages when Medieval ignorance had people doing all kinds of pagan things under the umbrella of the Catholic church. Some things should stay dead!

All religions / cults are works oriented. None can be trusted b/c they do NOT have truth. Some seem harmless. Some seem hilarious. All are spiritual poison. I agree the Christian Animism website is creepy. By nature of religion / cults, they all pounce, but this one is pouncing on Christians or those that use the name but are not His. Taking cults and occultism lightly has been happening for centuries and even with so much media out there to prove the fallacies and dangers, they still move forward with audiences that give $ and other support. For me the hardship always seemed that there's only 1 Christianity but there are thousands and thousands of cults.

Back